best java and vb book

infokiosk

Disciple
i'm familiar wid c++, so i've some oop concepts in my mind. now i need 2 do java, so which is the best hardcover/e-book for a complete newbie 2 java?
and mention some for VB(not dot net) tooo.

For Java, you could use Complete Reference - Java 2 By Patrick Naughton and Herbert Schildt (TMH publications)

For Visual Basic 6.0, you could use VB 6.0 by Julia Case Bradlee(TMH) and Visual Basic 6.0 Black Book(Dont remember the author name or publication, will post later with the same.)

Hope this helps;)

Try these for Java
1. Thinking in Java by Bruce Eckel - you can download a free electronic copy from www.mindview.net Good book, covers lot of stuff wrt Java language & SDK.
2. Head First Java by Oreilly publications - really neat book for newbies. The way they go about explaining stuff is really too good.

For Visual Basic, Get yourself Mastering VB6 by Evangelos Petroutsous .. Visual Basic SuperBible by Waite group is another ...
For VB6 Db programming , get Database Programming with VB6 by Evangelos Petrotsous ..
And if you can find get yourself a book called Hands On Visual Basic 6 .. Its the best book for a beginner ....

For Java -> Java 2 Complete Reference by Patrick Naughton and Herbert Schildt
For Visual Basic -> Mastering VB6 by Evangelos Petroutsos

thanks ppl
still i'm really new 2 java so just one more ediotic question 4 java wht do i need to download and/or install like a compiler or what, which SDK, links invited, and ya is java and java2 d same?

You need the latest Java SDK - you can download the same from http://java.sun.com. You will also find the SDK related documentation and much more related stuff there.
Java2D != Java. Java2D is a part of the Java SDK - you can use that library to do cool 2d based animation and stuff like that.

don't read dis if u don't have spare time... coz i need a lot of help... i mean it...
now i'm really very new to java, so i want to get some things done clear...
java... what do i need to get started wid it... please mention each and everything with a link... now i've heard of some sdk / jre... i dunno what they r... so please list what all i need wid the exact download links. i know the site http://java.sun.com or http://javasoft.com but when i get there, i get totally confused, i don't know what to download what not to... so please assume that my system has windows 2000 + ie6 installed... what do i need next...
and please make sure that u give direct download links....

Hmm.. I think you should start with New to Java page ... There are download links on the page itself (Get Tools & Software) .. You should download JDK and its documentation .. After going through the Starter page, get yourself a nice book on Java and start reading it and start coding ...

I hope this helped ..

Head first java by Kathy Sierra and Bert Bates would be an excellent. the best part is it is not like the regular technical book. It is comic style book.

Do not use an IDE till you are famillar with java. Use a simple Text editor. On windows notepad should be enough. An IDE would do many things like setting classpaths, import stuff, packages etc. So use it when you are famillar with all this stuff.

Back