Storage Solutions Best Possible way to Backup Sensitive Data ?

subhasis

Disciple
Hi guys ...Need to Backup some very important Data For work ...what is the best possible way to keep backup of the sensitive data through Hardware or Software or a combination of both ...just in no way can loose the Data at any cost .....................

I usually store my easy-to-forget passwords in a note pad, then rar the notepad file with password encryption. That way, I only need to remember one password. You forget that, and there is no logical way to unrar the archive.

rar.PNG

Are you worried only about data loss or also about data getting leaked? What is the nature of the data? Is it something that would attract hackers?

I used to do backups for money. The general strategy is to keep lots of copies in different locations. A local NAS a (few) remote NAS with snapshots configured takes care of data loss. You can rent space from cloud storage providers like Amazon, google etc.

If you are worried about data leakage, the problem becomes more complex.

The Data is about sensitive client personal information ..and yes i am concerned about data leakage and data loss...

HI subhasis,

I'd suggest you to make a few copies of your data at different locations.

First could be a local copy in the same place or in the same office. The second could be on the NAS server. For the third copy, you may use a cloud service.

Again, making a lot of backup locations comes with a cost too, but if you have the money to spend, and the particular data is quite important, then it's always safe to do so.

Specifically mention about sensitive data and want to reduce data leakage, then I would advise to do a proper homework on the cloud providers that you may ultimately choose.

Data leakage itself, though, could be a separate topic by itself and may be more related towards information security. For example, most data leakage in companies comes internally, like dissatisfied employees who have access to the sensitive data, copying them directly from the source.

Hope it helps.

Price is not a consideration ...protecting the data will be of highest priorty ...so what should be the configuration ...or setup

Buy 2 SSD, Encrypt them with Bitlocker and keep them in seperate places. so even in the case of natural disaster the data won't be affected :D

It would be better if you can mention your budget for the same. And what amount of headache you will take to setup the system. Finally, how often do you want the data backed up and versions if needed.

1. store the data in a google drive. that way data loss is covered and you have a copy in the cloud. buy additional storage if required. incremental backups will not take much bandwidth after first sync.
2. buy a software that allows you to set up rotating backup policies. search for grandfather-father-son schemes. that way you will be protected against accidental deletions of data.
3. set the backup location to a NAS that is configured in RAID 5. this way you will be protected against disk failure.

any more redundancy is an overkill IMHO

Budget is not a problem ..
If budget is not a problem, you should talk to service providers like IBM or HP. For a few billion dollars, they will create a system for you that would survive even a few simultaneous nuclear wars.[DOUBLEPOST=1441684795][/DOUBLEPOST]If you want your data to survive total annihilation of the earth (lets say a nuclear war between US and Russia), you would also want a data center on the moon. Should cost less than $100 billion. The communication speed and latency may not be good though. Since cost is not a constraint, you can hire NASA (and maybe ISRO) to help you with this.

Last edited:
Yes i can do that ...however needed to learn the principles rather than depending on others ...
anyways mate very nicely said ..i seriously liked it ..

Buy 2 SSD, Encrypt them with Bitlocker and keep them in seperate places. so even in the case of natural disaster the data won't be affected :D
What advantage do SSDs offer over conventional drives in the reliability department. Failure rate aside, both Seagate and WD have probably the best replacement service for their drives under warranty (phone call + courier, no service center visit). Does any SSD manufacturer provide that level of service in India?

Since you do not have a budget issue, then the best to do is build two boxes and set up a link between them. For OS, it depends on your systems for max ease of use.

For geo-replication, you can add backup to Google Drive/OneDrive.

What is your current systems - Windows/Mac/Linux? Domain? Do you have a location that is not in the same building - fire/building/theft protection?

Back