Best programming language for school kid?

PH0ENiX

Skilled
so i am in high school,9/10 in terms of computer hardware but 2/10 in terms of software.

Since i got a lot of free time i wanted to know where should i start to learn programming?

A friend recommended c# Since its used for game developing while another recommended apple swift thing.

Where should i start?

It still exists in the world?

which one c+ c# c++ ???
There is C, C++ and C#. No C+. C is the start of object oriented programming but Java has wider usability than C. So just start learning Java. Since you are not into much of programming I would recommend attending a coaching center classes for the same.

C - as already been mentioned 'Let Us C' : though may not cover all aspects but an easy to follow book.
i would suggest you read up on programming basics first. get hold of a senior [student/programmer] to learn about programming constructs.

there are two aspects to learning programming
1. learning the programming constructs and concepts
2. learning the syntax of a specific programming language

and yeah all the best!!

zdfRncs.jpg

P.S. Salaries are not for India:p

Last edited by a moderator:
C/C++ offers you much better control and performance.
You could, learn javascript, but not as a first language. You should probably go with Java and then Javascript (no, there is NOTHING in common, its just that you can taste 2 very different programming paradigms).
Also, you are not too young to learn, my friend (who was also my CEO) knows 30+ programming languages and started programming at the age of 7. So go ahead, have fun!
PS: No, you don't know 9/10 in hardware. Don't keep this attitude, inhibits learning.
[DOUBLEPOST=1454602738][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, sorry to say it bluntly, the chart above is crap. Don't agree with most of the points. Things like difficulty, you cant really quantify it that easily.

@ivhere looking at your chart python seems to be the easiest So why not go for python over c++??
What exactly is POWER? the chart states c++ as most powerfull?
There is lot more to programming than just learning the language. if you go for the easiest, you will just learn the language. if you go for something like C/C++ you will learn a lot more.

if you learn C/C++ the most important thing that you learn is to clean up your own shit. cleaning up your own shit makes you a good programmer. unlike the other languages which promise that they clean up your shit (garbage collection).

PS: dont take the above chart seriously

The chart was visually interesting and easy to pick-up.

Yes, things like "difficulty" are very subjective but, at the least one gets a decent idea.

Yah! Chart is only for rough idea of starters. Don't jump into python directly. Start with c or Java.

Since you don't have any goals and doing it just for sake of learning. It would be better to start with formal education of C.

You need to pick on the concepts, syntax(programming terms) is easier to pick up. C is probably right for learning. I started out with BASIC and then C++.

I found this site which teaches a lot of stuff that you need to know in an interesting way:
http://www.theodinproject.com/
Though you learn a lot of web specific stuff so it might not be good for starting out. Would like others to comment on it.

I'm also starting to pick up programming. I'm taking a gap year and I'm working at a local startup and the tech guys there recommended me to start with python if I wanted to learn programming because he said the other languages take longer to master and if you are able to master at least one language and understand how it works, you'll be able to pick up the rest.
I'm currently learning at codeacademy, and the good thing is that they teach you the basic functions and definitions and to me the lessons seem well put together and flow well. You can learn other languages too after you've mastered python. I'm pretty sure there are other websites out there that give you good lessons, but this one seemed the best for me to start.
I've heard of 'learn python the hard way' where they just give you problems for you to figure out on your own, if that's your learning style.
Just my two cents worth!
Cheers!

Back