Best tips to secure your computer?

GamerGirl

Recruit
Hey everyone. I was just wondering what your best tips for keeping your computer secure were. I am moving and believe it or not I am moving to an area that doesn't have internet access (who knew those still existed). So if I want to be on the internet my only option will be to drive into town and go to the library or restaurant. I am always worried about my security and since I will have to use public networks, I am even more worried. I have up-to-date antivirus software, but I fear that may not be enough. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!

P.S. not sure if this is where this should go, so if it needs moved I understand!

Hey everyone. I was just wondering what your best tips for keeping your computer secure were. I am moving and believe it or not I am moving to an area that doesn't have internet access (who knew those still existed). So if I want to be on the internet my only option will be to drive into town and go to the library or restaurant. I am always worried about my security and since I will have to use public networks, I am even more worried. I have up-to-date antivirus software, but I fear that may not be enough. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!

P.S. not sure if this is where this should go, so if it needs moved I understand!
http://cnc.ucr.edu/security/10tips.html

You'll need a firewall along with your VPN plan.
If the only application you have accessing the internet is your browser, then you may be able to get by using Opera as your browser. It's got a free VPN built in.

This is the best way to keep yourself safe for a be

1) Any paid Antivirus but I recommend Kaspersky as it cheap and best value for money.

2) Antimalware software like Malwarebytes or Hitmanpro .

2)Antispyware software like spybot

3)Filter all ports on incoming internet tracffic on your pc with a firewall software
I recommomend using zonealarm.

4) Also Enable firewall on your router if you are using one.

5) Use onscreen keyboard provided by antivirus while doing online transactions.

6) Install Tor for anonimity for online browsing.

7) Update your Antivirus,Antimalware, antispyware and firewall software regularly
Scan your pc everyday if possible with the above software.

8)Use CC cleaner to repair corrupted registry entries or delete any unwanted registry entries in your pc
Delete cookies cache, temp data. etc.

There you go.

Last edited:
Awesome! Thank you for all that information. I will be sure to do all of this before I move as I want to be protected! As for the VPN, it was mentioned that I could use the free VPN, but I heard that free VPNs were not as secure. Can someone clarify? Thanks!

Free VPNs are not reliable. The main issue is that some of them will inject ads into your session or even datamine you. PIA and the rest are just 36USD a year so get one of those. The Opera one is trusted though.

In terms of viruses and stuff you may want to read this: https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/01/antivirus-is-bad/ Windows Defender is more than enough if you block ads (the most common vector of infection) and subscribe to Common Sense 2017™. If you really need to, a scan with MBAM free and Spybot S&D is more than enough once a month.

The VPN will protect you from any rogue WiFi hotspots so you don't need to worry about your banking details and stuff when you use Internet Banking, you can still use a virtual keyboard for extra safety but make sure it randomises the key locations for every use like the one HDFC provides. Also use 2Factor Authentication for everything you can.

CCleaner can do more harm than good. Besides, it's been deprecated by the refresh function in Windows once your installation gets too slow.

Back