best washing machine for 4 people under 35k

do you have enough space in your house for front loader? There's a LG 7KG inverter wm for 29k on amazon. Don't buy from amazon but buy from shop nearby after seeing the product.

Front loaders save on water a lot now. Especially when most of India is going through water crisis.

Also note that you need water pressure to make the front loading washing machine work properly. Due to low water pressure I had to install a pressure pump thereby incurring additional cost.

how can I asses whether water pressure in y house is optimum or not for front load wm????
It depends on the overhead water tank and other factors relating to it. If you are on a top floor or your WM is placed on top floor and the overhead tank is 100 mts away from the WM, usually you will have less pressure when the water is flowing through the long pipes that needs to reach the WM. In this case the overhead tank needs to be more than 1/4th full to have sufficient pressure. This also depends on the capacity of the overhead tank. Mine is a 10000 lts tank and even if I have 2000 liters full I will not have sufficient pressure for the front loading washing machine. However, if your WM is in the ground floor mostly you will not have this problem as there will always be sufficient pressure in water that reaches ground floor from the overhead tank.

do you have enough space in your house for front loader? There's a LG 7KG inverter wm for 29k on amazon. Don't buy from amazon but buy from shop nearby after seeing the product.

Front loaders save on water a lot now. Especially when most of India is going through water crisis.
So i thought this was my model but in silver. Silver is more expensive than plain white.

But It isn't. Mine has a depth of 55cm

silver LG 7kg.jpg

Here the depth is only 44 cm. And that means it isn't a 50 litre drum like mine. It's a 36 litre drum which makes it a 6kg back in 2015. Big difference. The only reason to get such a small model is you can't get anything bigger through the front door. Otherwise best avoided.

So its confirmed. What was a 5kg in 2012 became 6kg in 2015 and is now a 7kg in 2019 (!) Drum Capacity of course remains the same.

I would always recommend 7kg (maybe that is today 8kg) minimum or at least a 50 lt drum. Forget the weight as we see this inflation over the last five years. What matters is drum capacity. If this is too expensive then look at the Bosch/Siemens models but remember service calls & spares will be more expensive.

The next thing i don't get why they call this an "inverter" washing machine. It's a direct drive motor ie not belt driven. That's it.

There is no inverting going on here afaik. Inverting happens in fridges & AC's

The features list on the LG website is misleading. Pretty sure this is not a smart Thinq model nor does it have touch controls. You don't need either.

As far as minimum water pressure goes, i'm surprised to see in the manual it needs 1 bar. Seems like this has become LG's new minimum these days even for basic models.

LG 7kg water pressure.JPG

Mine has : 30-1000kPa (0.3 - 10kgf/cmf ) or a minimum pressure of 0.3 bar

If i was looking to get a machine today, i'd go with the 8kg model for the drum capacity. Seems they don't do a plain white for this model any more. Only silver unless older stock is available in the shop.

silver LG 8kg.jpg

Notice the depth is 55cm
Post automatically merged:

how can I asses whether water pressure in y house is optimum or not for front load wm????
How high is your water tank from the room where the washing machine will be located ? How many feet above.

Found a model that is white and 55 cm depth. Since it says 7kg this must be an older model but that is fine.

white LG 7kg.jpg

Another reason to go with this one is it has a max spin speed of 1000 rpm instead of 1200 so it will be cheaper and just as big. I never use 1000 rpm spin, in the cold weater i might use 800 rpm otherwise the default is 400 rpm.

Water pressure though remains the same at 1 bar. I suppose this is what make in India means.

Check the shops, amazon does not have this white model with 55cm depth.

Last edited:
may I follow below measurments
point to consider when deciding which machine to go for.

minimum permissible water pressure!

Who chooses a washing machine based on how much water pressure comes out of the tap ? nobody! but if you don't spec the machine to the pressure available at the tap then it won't work properly because you are running the machine out of spec.

Every machine has a minimum water pressure required to work optimally. If its too low the machine might misbehave because its water inlet valves won't shut off properly, see, the valves require a minimum pressure to shut off otherwise water can start leaking into the machine overnight if the tap supplying the washer isn't shut off. Nobody closes this tap usually but its a good idea to do so. Or more likely it will just time out when filling and give an error. The software is designed to shut the machine off if it doesn't get the required water in time. There are good reasons for this (ie a leak somewhere and the room will be flooded) but this time limit will prevent the machine from working if your water pressure is too low for the machine. Naturally this is for your own good and in the marketing literature is termed as 'multiple water protection'.

In the good old days the machine waited until the reservoir was full, now a days there is a timeout ! So you may find your old machine worked fine but this new one will not.

Siemens & Bosch want a minimum of 1 bar of water pressure, 1 bar is the pressure it would take to push water up to a height of 10 metres. If your water tank is situated at that height from the machine then fine otherwise not. The conversion is 0.1 bar = 1 metre. So to work out your water pressure, estimate the height in metres that the tank is from your washer.

They also mention requiring a minimum flow rate of 8 litres/minute. I measured my tap flow rate with a watch and found my max is ~6 litres a minute. Now i know a siemens or a bosch won't work in my house. There is no way around this unless you raise the over head tank or get a pump. I doubt they can reprogram the computer on site for a lower pressure. Basically to use a bosch or siemens the overhead tank needs to be 3 storeys above the washing machine. Unless of course you get mains delivered to you at that pressure.

Samsungs will work at 0.5 bar, header tank is 5m above the washer.

LG's will work at 0.3 bar, header tank is just 3 m above the washer. This is for the washers only, have noticed LG's washer dryers want 1 bar instead of 0.3 bar.

Score for the Koreans, lose for the Germans.

Check the permissible water pressure spec of the model before you buy.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2014
Reactions:
sid1712, bottle, onlyravi and 1 other person

Veteran

May 10, 2009

Yeah. I keep getting low water pressure error on my Bosch quite frequently. All I have to do usually is close and then again open the tap and we are good to go.

Veteran

Apr 11, 2007

we are family of four members only 8 kgs not kneaded that much suggest me of 6.5 or 7 kg wm, what about customer care response of lg?? my another concern stains on shirt collar and other stains are not cleaned by any is there any wm that can remove stains ??

Last edited:
may I follow below measurments
Just say how high in feet your tank is ?

we are family of four members only 8 kgs not kneaded that much suggest me of 6.5 or 7 kg wm, what about customer care response of lg?? my another concern stains on shirt collar and other stains are not cleaned by any is there any wm that can remove stains ??
Idea behind using a bigger drum is you do a larger load and use it less. A smaller machine means more washes and wear & tear. Or you end up overloading which comes to the same. Shorter life. Sales people will always recommend the cheapest as they want a sale and not any thing more expensive which might mean risk losing the sale.

So I'd go with a 50 lt drum even for one person for that reason. That would be two washes minimum per week.

A four member family will be 8+ washes a week. 400+ per year. I know a couple with a kid, two washes per day so 700+ annual. Machine died at the end of 4 years.

Duty cycle of these machines is 2-3k washes. Or 5-8 yr life if you can keep the number of washes per person down. Going by what people have said when they have a drum spider failure.

Look in the shops for the white LG model mentioned in the last post. What price are you getting ?

Last edited:
Sorry for adding on to this thread but I am in the market for a 7 Kg fully automatic FL washing machine and I went through all the washing machine posts here on TE

My building is G+6 and we are on the 3rd floor so there's almost 30 ft+ height difference at a bare minimum between the water tank and the washing machine.

My budget is max 40k for a family of 3 and these are my shortlisted contenders-

I know that both of these are very similar and might be very expensive in terms of repairs etc. in case something goes wrong. Would you guys suggest any LG model in lieu of these?
P.S. I don't need IoT stuff like app control/wifi connectivity as this is firmly my mom's domain. :p

P.S. I don't need IoT stuff like app control/wifi connectivity as this is firmly my mom's domain. :p
What is the drum volume your present IFB ?

Presumably you are looking for a machine with a similar drum volume.

Weight classifications fluctuate over the years and are not a good indicator of drum volume. Tending upward but the drum volume remains the same.

What is the drum volume your present IFB ?

Presumably you are looking for a machine with a similar drum volume.

Weight classifications fluctuate over the years and are not a good indicator of drum volume. Tending upward but the drum volume remains the same.
I remember it's around 50l or so. Not exactly sure as my dad bought it quite a while back and I never really cared at that point about this stuff.

Check out Bosch 8 kg Fully Automatic Front Load Washing Machine. It can take load up to 5-6 persons.
Features:

* 8 KG Capacity
* Tumble Wash
* 1200 rpm speed
* Inbuilt Heater

I hope you will like it :)

Back