Beware of Lenovo "premium laptop" build quality

First to clarify this is not a feedback on Lenovo India's support.
This is more about Lenovo's Laptop build quality and something I became aware recently and dint see a post on TE warning people about going for their topline gaming laptops.

For me its been two years when I got their Y410P model and its been rickety at best. The DVD drive was kaput in a year but it dint matter as I don't use it. And then the whole keyboard plate started to come off and I had to constantly push down the parts so that they remained in place.

So far so good, but then their main issue started. The laptop started breaking apart near at the hinges and that too on the charger side so now the laptop would shutdown abruptly causing harm to the HDD time and again. I have tried the customer support in India but the laptop was bought in US so support is pretty limited.

What really prompted the thread was the fact that it seems to be a chronic issue in the Lenovo line. Google "lenovo hinge" and there are 1000s if not 10000s of people complaining this issue and that too for years. It seems Lenovo doesn't seem to care because the quality doesn't seem to have changed. So anyone wanting to buy a laptop please beware of this issue and stay away from Lenovo.

Last edited:
Have a niggling problem with my 2yr old Z50-70. Sometimes '+' keeps on printing even when I am not using the keyboard. But since this is happening intermittently, I am unable to take it to service centre.

A friend bought the G50-80 8-10 months back. His keyboard has stopped working. For now he is using an external keyboard.

Back