Bharti Airtel offers 4G services on mobiles in Bangalore

mahesh_bharti

Disciple
BANGALORE: Bangalore will become the first city in India to experience 4G services on mobile from this month. The country's largest telecom operator Bharti Airtel is launching 4G services for smartphones such as iPhone 5S, 5C and Xolo, from this month.

The launch is a prelude to the 4G war expected later this year when Mukesh Ambani owned Reliance Jio Infocomm launches similar services.

"Existing 3G plans will apply to users who will be migrated to 4G for no extra cost. However, they will have to get a SIM card replacement. Voice networks will continue to run on 2G and 3G networks," said Srini Gopalan, Bharti Airtel's director for consumer business.

"4G network users will be able to download 10 standard movies within 30 minutes," he claimed. A trial version of 4G-LTE network that ET experienced in Bangalore was gave download speed of about 7.2 MBPS, versus a 2.2 MBPS in a 3G network.

Source Bharti Airtel offers 4G services on mobiles in Bangalore - The Economic Times on Mobile

Hoping to have a good coverage over time.[DOUBLEPOST=1392362030][/DOUBLEPOST]Hoping to have a good coverage over time.

This only means they will jack up price of 3G like they did with 2G when 3G was launched.
To force people to switch to 4G? How many people have smartphone that even support that. I don't think they'll increase the price of 3G. It's illogical. But then again, I'm afraid that sometimes logic doesn't work in this industry.

Not to mention how big a battery hog it is. I still would prefer to keep my phone on 2g for notifications and syncing and then switch to 3g when browsing.

I dont f**king understand how does it matter if you are using 3G / 4G if your speed is throttled at 7mbps. Vodafone has >10mbps in Pune on 3G and Docomo I checked gave more than 14mbps in Aurangabad on 3G.
If only the plans were sensible we could start using 3G first else with such ridiculous plans and extortionist tariffs it does matter if its 3G/4G or what...
Pathetic Indian companies.... once a beggar always a beggar....

A trial version of 4G-LTE network that ET experienced in Bangalore was gave download speed of about 7.2 MBPS, versus a 2.2 MBPS in a 3G network.
Same as landline, if the quota gets exhausted even quicker then what advantage does 4G offer.

From what i've learned 4g has better congestion management than 3G so speeds are supposed to be more consistent. But consistency depends on demand. yeah, at this point harldy anyone can use 4G so performance should be stellar. provided the price is worth it.[DOUBLEPOST=1392370016][/DOUBLEPOST]
To force people to switch to 4G? How many people have smartphone that even support that.
And that is the next headache. When will other (android) premium handsets actually support it. They've not offered anything yet because there is still uncertainty as to which bands will be chosen in the end. Though 2.3Ghz is what airtel uses.

Unlike 3G, 4G handsets have to use specific receievers depending on the band, there isn't one chip that can do it all any where in the world as yet.

I am full time on 2G only (inspite of being subscribed to 3G plan) and only when needed i start 3G.
3G Sucks battery a lot.
I am ok with 2G only as well but the plans do not make sense for my usage.I am subscribed to 300 MB 3G plan.

^ actually on android smartphones - I found the inverse to be true, 3G (if with good bandwidth) takes lesser time to pull the same amount of data, hence lesser radio activity - hence lesser battery usage.
2G for staying connected and 3g when syncing is the best in my opinion.....

Not sure how many will like this service. A better strategy would be improving the existing 3G plans. Idea used to give the best rate 5GB 3G for 550rs. A 1GB 3G used to cost 250rs so i saved over 500rs when i took 5GB. But Idea's 3G service is no more. There is little or no savings at all with the current tariffs plans of private operators. :(

reliance is pretty good in kolkata!

anyways coming back to airtel 4g - yes they have been running some exchange offers on the iphone 5c 5s with a port to 4g, in my office campus!
:)

so many top of the line phones sold in india in recent past don't have 4g!!!!i couldn't believe it when i was told i shall need to upgrade from the Note II just to use 4G!!!just my luck, couldn't use 3G coz reliance doesn't offer it in Karnataka, when 4g is launching my phone doesn't support it!!;(

^ I think none of the 4G phones launched recently are compatible with Indian 4G bands...India - 2300 Mhz, World - 1900,2100 Mhz
Please correct me if I am wrong...

so many top of the line phones sold in india in recent past don't have 4g!!!!i couldn't believe it when i was told i shall need to upgrade from the Note II just to use 4G!!!just my luck, couldn't use 3G coz reliance doesn't offer it in Karnataka, when 4g is launching my phone doesn't support it!!;(
come on i had an N79 with 3G long before 3G actually came haha

Back