Bittorrent Sync - The Dropbox Killer?

kvikram

Skilled
If you've been using Dropbox or Google Drive or some other alternative to sync your files across computers, Bittorrent Sync could change all that. With Bittorrent Sync, your files aren't stored on any central server, but is synced across computers using the torrent technology, similar to how you download a torrent. All you need to do is to select a folder that you want to sync and set up a secret key for that folder. If you enter that key on another computer, files get synced to the other computer.

Basically, you're using your own computer as a server instead of a cloud server in some remote place.

The best part about this is that since you're essentially using your own computer as a server, it's completely free with unlimited storage. The only limit is the size of your hard drive.

Also, it works via LAN too. If you have multiple computers on your LAN, files will get synced across the devices via the LAN itself instead of using the internet.

http://www.bittorrent.com/sync/

lol, how new is this - i could anyway share a file directly with an individual - using bittorrent...
Well, I suppose it's not new. But it does have some advantages. If you're sharing your file/folder the traditional way using bittorrent, you'll have to share your torrent file every time you want to share something new. But with this you can set up a folder to auto-sync across multiple devices - you don't have to do it manually. And it works nice with mobile too - easy-peasy to get your new music on your phone.

Moreover, I suppose presenting this service as an alternative to Dropbox opens up a lot more users to the power of bittorrent. Most people don't know that you can share your personal files using bittorrent [including me , before you told me.]

Peace. :)

Back