BJP can do course correction.. Here it is..

Mod Edit: Avoid personal attacks

someone was asking me about karnataka state govt I guess smnrock .

see the trend.

within six months,INC HDK Is going home .

Only reason that there is no solid opponent party against the rulling TMC. Those who want to vote against TMC are going for BJP.
its not just that. its too do with hindu oppresion .[DOUBLEPOST=1558589121][/DOUBLEPOST]all those asking course correction by BJP are all proven wrong as the voting class has voted their mandate in support of BJP and modi .

accept the mandate of people of India.

someone was asking me about karnataka state govt I guess smnrock .

see the trend.

within six months,INC HDK Is going home .

Yes, last time you said, they will not complete one year.. FYI - yday they completed one year. Good to know that you've given them another six months extension now :D

Screenshot_20190523-160533358.jpg

So the interesting question is how has BJP managed to cross 300 in a no wave election :)
This is same question I have. I guess we will never know the answer. This result means Modi's popularity has up since 2014, which I find bit hard to believe.
May be all the campaigning (like If not Modi then who?), WhatsApp promotions, NaMo TV, Akshay Kumar interview - seemed to have worked. All these painted a wonderful image of Modi as India's only saviour, only hope.
Hats off to Amit Shah and Modi, they are masters at this game called Indian politics .

We never get a real answer but plausible theories. Let the political scientists have a bash at it.

The last time they said the young voted for Modi as they were aspirational and saw a future with him in charge.

If i were to hazard a guess this time i think it was women. They came out in more numbers this time.

Providing gas cylinders is good, like they say the first hit is free after that you pay. But the larger point is for the first time the gas cylinder gets delivered to you instead of having to pick it up yourself. This isn't something city dwellers will realise but it can be big in villages.

Toilets mean a lot for women.

Another sentiment is he deserves a second chance if he couldn't deliver everything within the first.

The thing that sticks out is they said he won a majority last time because of the wave. But with no wave they need to explain now and then too.

Interesting take. His point about keeping inflation low reduced the impact of lower jobs creation than expected. There was less distress and people weren't out protesting. This does not mean jobs are enough it just means that unemployment doesn't feel that bad. This makes sense as what drives people up the wall is rising prices. Sudan, Iran & Egypt were about the price of bread. Here its about the price of onions. Didn't go up this time and govts have fallen in the past when they have.

The other important point he makes is about the mismanagement of the Congress campaign. Outlining them in detail. If the challenger commits a series of tactical errors then it only makes the incumbents job easier. Their win larger than it should have been

^^ If you like his view you may like to see his takes on this, below video is not related to the election results but where India stands compared to other countries on political front in today’s time - Very nice analysis; published 11/04/2019.

Last edited:
I've seen this but i think a more finer grain analysis is required. He forgot Duterte in his list.

Netanyahu is mr. foreign policy & Mr. security. He's been defense minister & foreign minister. I find Modi resembles him most out of the rest in these areas. But Israel has more pressures and security is always paramount there. Our situation isn't as grave. Though it has to be said over the years Israels fear are less existential than they used to be given the QME ( qualitative military edge) they have. Also a recipient of many billions from the Americans over the years $40bn + ? Brazil's Bolsonaro & Phillipines Duterte are also products of some extreme situation like crime. Hungary's situation seems to be about immigration though i can't imagine who wants to go there. Poland is in a weird situation with Russia due to Ukraine. India does not belong in this group.

Erdogan faced a coup so he has had to crack down on his perceived opponents, almost dictator like. Xi is a dictator with no opposition just like Putin. India does not belong in this group.

Then we have Trump, very polarising and in a presidential system unlikely to be toppled. He gets to ride out a full term no matter who he pisses off. A Trump coming to power isn't possible in India. No disuniter in chief could survive in a parliamentary system. You might think this does not apply to Modi, he has won a majority, he is safe for the next five years. Well, consider we have state elections too. holding on to the centre but losing at the assembly level isn't a tenable option. Consent is paramount in our system as it is in other parliamentary countries. No consent out he goes.

Who is left ? Abe, he isn't very polarising, he might be to hard core pacifists in Japan but otherwise nothing too controversial comes from him. Abe is very important to us. Japan's situation is also a bit precarious, they depend on the US for security. Without they would be more susceptible to China. Their situation is less grave than the first group but China's actions only help Abe stay in power. Abe's LDP is like Congress, unlike India Japan has been unable to shake off one party rule since the 50s. They had one stint with the opposition in charge and then Fukushima happens and that opposition party couldn't handle it well and then got relegated to opposition again.

And then we have Modi, who i would consider the most benign of the lot. We did not have any extreme situation for him to come to power. Just anti-incumbency with the last govt. We are not facing some existential crisis. He has won another term because the opposition did not have a valid answer. Even though the results show he has swept i can also say until today no serious BJP watcher thought this would be an easy win. Quite the contrary.

You see what i'm doing here ? delinking us from other countries that have their own unique circumstances for the rise of the right. On a loose level you can group all together because they have centre right or more right parties in office but go deeper and the similarities end. Populism has been rife in India for decades, it might be a new thing for other countries.

The one advantage with these leaders & Modi mean on a political level things will be easier

Last edited:
BJP won more seats this time because the Congress lost a lot of seats in places they were supposed to have a majority. Their one family dynasty and keeping even older people from getting the top positions is killing the party. This is why a lot of congress party people jumped ship to BJP or other parties.

Related or not, Oil rate per barrel has decreased globally and Indian oil companies increased the rates for diesel and petrol the moment BJP won. lol. more good days for Indians by increasing burden on common people specially when fmcg goods which determine slow down is on a down hill slide compared to last year sales.

Shekar Gupta for all sense and purposes is a hack. Yesterday he was on NDTV harping on rise of Hinduism as one of the reasons for BJP win and now turns around to try and soften the narrative. But his about turn shows a rather dire scenario going forward - going forward media might get even more cozy towards Modi.

My view on why BJP won is simple - There were no compelling issues discussed. Last time there were lot of discussions on government scams (UPA2), role of Congress etc. This time we had what burning issue exactly? Everything was about Modi. Mahagathbadan was about Modi. Mamta Banerjee as always dint have anything except shout central abusing it's power and always harping about Modi. Rahul Gandi had his minimum income scheme but again he too was embroiled in Chowkidar etc etc. No one and I mean no one stood up there and said well we do have an unemployment problem etc. Everyone thought their job was not about public welfare but defeating Modi.

I have already said - General Public doesn't give two flying **ks about Modi, they need to see changes in front of their eye. If their leader is all about Modi this and Modi that, then it just creates a larger than life picture in people's mind. Politicians need to stop doing that.

Another thing which played a very large role is the fact the whole "bhakt" thing. It is one thing to disagree with someone and another try to make them foolish and generalize. While Modi did start this trend by categorizing media with his pressitude comment. This whole "bhakt" thing has gotten out of hand. People have to realize that you cannot convince someone to change their mind if all you have is sarcasm. You need to approach things with empathy and understanding. You don't hit people in the head to convince them; you have to work with them.

That said I will not be surprised if the state elections paint a rather opposite picture. No Modi, everything about local state politics.

Back