BJP can do course correction.. Here it is..

Shekar Gupta for all sense and purposes is a hack. Yesterday he was on NDTV harping on rise of Hinduism as one of the reasons for BJP win and now turns around to try and soften the narrative. But his about turn shows a rather dire scenario going forward - going forward media might get even more cozy towards Modi.
Social media won't be quiet and will hold the regular media to account. You can't shut up a billion people tapping away on phones. These people are not regulated, do not comply with codes of conduct and aren't in it for the money. The govt cannot silence them by withdrawing ads

My view on why BJP won is simple - There were no compelling issues discussed. Last time there were lot of discussions on government scams (UPA2), role of Congress etc. This time we had what burning issue exactly? Everything was about Modi. Mahagathbadan was about Modi. Mamta Banerjee as always dint have anything except shout central abusing it's power and always harping about Modi. Rahul Gandi had his minimum income scheme but again he too was embroiled in Chowkidar etc etc. No one and I mean no one stood up there and said well we do have an unemployment problem etc. Everyone thought their job was not about public welfare but defeating Modi.
Opposition turned the election into a referendum on Modi. But the next question is who else and all they offered there was this question mark. So the people went with the devil they knew.

I have already said - General Public doesn't give two flying **ks about Modi, they need to see changes in front of their eye. If their leader is all about Modi this and Modi that, then it just creates a larger than life picture in people's mind. Politicians need to stop doing that.
BJP wins because of Modi. The way it is people could care less about BJP. All of a sudden reps who couldn't get votes are being handed thumping wins because Modi successfully turned this into a presidential election with no competition. Larger than life figures isn't something the RSS does usually. They don't want to create idols but they seem to be quiet on this and its the second time now.

Another thing which played a very large role is the fact the whole "bhakt" thing. It is one thing to disagree with someone and another try to make them foolish and generalize. While Modi did start this trend by categorizing media with his pressitude comment. This whole "bhakt" thing has gotten out of hand. People have to realize that you cannot convince someone to change their mind if all you have is sarcasm. You need to approach things with empathy and understanding. You don't hit people in the head to convince them; you have to work with them.
Agree

That said I will not be surprised if the state elections paint a rather opposite picture. No Modi, everything about local state politics.
If Modi comes up with a scheme and it gets badly implemented at the district level, then local pols are held to account not Modi. Even if the idea was bad nothing sticks to Modi.[DOUBLEPOST=1558702313][/DOUBLEPOST]
Hahahahahahahahaha...thats all I can say to all the haters...
Enjoy the respite while it lasts. Once the new cabinet is sworn and they get to work the haters will be back.

One thing i want to see is a change from last time, where we had a Vajpayee cabinet with a UPA bureaucracy.

Modi needs to step out of Vajpayee's shadow and cast his own. We didn't get the full deal, just shades of what could be.

Modi magic people were expecting did not materialise. Modi magic has to be more than just for party workers

The expectation is transformation at the national level like happened in Gujarat. Is that possible ?

Institutions need to be created and strengthened that will outlive him if he is to have a legacy. Legacy becomes important for a second term leader.

We need a Modi cabinet. A Modi bureaucracy would be nice but might be a bridge too far.

Last edited:
I do not believe that such large scale EVM tampering is possible given the huge mandate NDA got.
But yes the advertisement has helped him a lot. BJP did not leave a stone unturned to feed the people their propaganda and add that to a divided opposition, you get a landslide win.

I hope INC gets some sense and boots out RaGa. Congress has some well educated, visionary leaders who should be getting the top job. India desperately needs a strong opposition.

Its better to let the fever run its course while the opposition gets organized. Also the only way I see BJP getting these many seats is via EVM Magik.
All the VVPAT counting matched with none of the counting agents able to point out any discrepancy’s.[DOUBLEPOST=1558809640][/DOUBLEPOST]
I hope INC gets some sense and boots out RaGa
Needs to boot out entire upper echelon sitting in Rajyasabha along with Ga and not just RaGa.
How many rising stars were thrown out by dynasty ?
Pilot Scindia
What you think of those guys?

Are you aware that MMS is not coming back in rajyasabha as they don’t have required no. Of MLA in his home state.

What more shameful it can get?

He was MP from Assam.

https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/i...ometime-as-his-term-ends-in-june-3979181.html

Last edited:
Its better to let the fever run its course while the opposition gets organized.
How long until a viable contender for leader emerges ?[DOUBLEPOST=1558810418][/DOUBLEPOST]
I hope INC gets some sense and boots out RaGa. Congress has some well educated, visionary leaders who should be getting the top job. India desperately needs a strong opposition.
I think INC is open to other leaders or let's say PM candidates. See Karnataka for a smaller scale example. That was one of their advantages for coalition partner over BJP.[DOUBLEPOST=1558810598][/DOUBLEPOST]
All the VVPAT counting matched with none of the counting agents able to point out any discrepancy’s.
Very important point

https://www.dnaindia.com/india/phot...iled-as-biggest-success-story-of-2019-2753557

Last edited:
It took an amazing and sustained propaganda/branding/marketing campaign over two decades to create Modi. Opposition hasn't even started to do anything even if it wanted to.

The whining about evms doesn't help opposition coz even if it happened it will never be proven.

The thing that sticks out is they said he won a majority last time because of the wave. But with no wave they need to explain now and then too.
Just read this thread after a long time.

Last time I genuinely think it was because of modi wave. First time voters like my friends and I genuinely voted for him and did lots of swatch bharath abhiyaan programs thru college. remember swatch bharath :D

This time I think its TINA factor (There is no alternative) plus surgical strikes that tipped the balance it BJP favor. Till feb, before surgical strikes, BJP was looking shaky after defeats to congress in few states.

and I don't see RaGa acting aggressively towards pakistan like modi did, so If not for regional parties, If I were to choose between Modi or RaGa, I would probably have voted for Modi anyways.

Just read this thread after a long time.

Last time I genuinely think it was because of modi wave. First time voters like my friends and I genuinely voted for him and did lots of swatch bharath abhiyaan programs thru college. remember swatch bharath :D
ok

This time I think its TINA factor (There is no alternative) plus surgical strikes that tipped the balance it BJP favor.
What if that is only half the answer ? to say TINA in a way devalues what he accomplished

And what has he accomplished and does it matter. Put this under reforms.
1) GST made India into a single market for goods and along with DeMo helped documentation and formalization of the economy. Those small businessmen that cane in the tax net for the first time and those that benefited from corruption around octroi/VAT were the losers.

2) Bankruptcy law has visibly put crooked promoters on the defensive and put creditors in the driving seat. Clearly the promoters who treated bank loans as quasi equity were the losers.

3) Direct benefit transfer bypassed many middlemen and put money directly in the hands of the beneficiaries. Obviously the middlemen were the losers.

4) Monetary policy reform and inflation targeting were very successful in stamping out 5 years of double digit inflation

5) Improving ease of doing business where India’s ranking improved from 142-77. In achieving this result, business process streamlining, policy streamlining, automation : all had a role to play. This means that many mid level functionaries lost the case by case decision making authority and associated bribes

6) FDI reform - There has been major reform in what areas there can be FDI (defense), how much FDI can be brought in (insurance) and the approvals needed to bring it in (FIPB has been dismantled). Again case by case decision makers in government as well as associated fixers in private sector would be the losers.

7) RERA- RERA has put the power in the hands of retail home owner and put an end to the unfair practices of many builders who were the obvious losers. Also the greater formalization of the economy has reduced the black money in the system and the home prices have become more affordable

8) Financial inclusion - Jan Dhan Yojana, MUDRA yojana, Atal Pension yojana have dramatically improved financial inclusion. Unified payment interface and payment banks have cut down cost of transactions dramatically and increased digital financial transactions even for small value transactions. In addition there has been a dramatic improvement in pace of infrastructure development and service delivery to the poor and disenfranchised regardless of their caste, religion or language.

This improves opportunity for all
Picked this out of a youtube comment, all up your street. Plenty to think about there :)

Till feb, before surgical strikes, BJP was looking shaky after defeats to congress in few states.

and I don't see RaGa acting aggressively towards pakistan like modi did, so If not for regional parties, If I were to choose between Modi or RaGa, I would probably have voted for Modi anyways.
This would be my rationale.

Last edited:
BJP won more seats this time because the Congress lost a lot of seats in places they were supposed to have a majority. Their one family dynasty and keeping even older people from getting the top positions is killing the party. This is why a lot of congress party people jumped ship to BJP or other parties.
Commentators bring up this dynast issue only when Congress loses, never when they win which makes me suspect it isn't worth much. Did voters in the state elections in Rajasthan, Chattishgarh & MP care about dynasty?

What about those in Andhra & TN for Jagan Reddy & Stalin ? those states are dominated by family run shops. On top of this Jagan was facing corruption charges and sidelined by the party. Did the Andhra voters care ? nah. Voted for him at the assembly & the centre. So twice.

One of the advantages of allying with Congress was precisely the open position at the top. Didn't work with the electorate though.

Related or not, Oil rate per barrel has decreased globally and Indian oil companies increased the rates for diesel and petrol the moment BJP won. lol. more good days for Indians by increasing burden on common people specially when fmcg goods which determine slow down is on a down hill slide compared to last year sales.
Given the uncertainty with Iran the price at the pump will be an open question in the coming months if not longer. The last thing we need is artificially inflated fuel prices. If they are increasing prices now then they are anticipating higher prices later and will be bleeding when the govt will have to reduce the excise charged to keep prices stable.

Last edited:
Given the uncertainty with Iran the price at the pump will be an open question in the coming months if not longer. The last thing we need is artificially inflated fuel prices. If they are increasing prices now then they are anticipating higher prices later and will be bleeding when the govt will have to reduce the excise charged to keep prices stable.

Iran is not the reason the prices came down. The USA had record production of shale this year lowering the prices in the market. China ramped up buying oil from Iran and if India grows balls, India can get oil from Iran too for cheap. Indian oil companies are getting greedy that's all there is to it.

Commentators bring up this dynast issue only when Congress loses, never when they win which makes me suspect it isn't worth much. Did voters in the state elections in Rajasthan, Chattishgarh & MP care about dynasty?

Not really if you paid attention to the various posts in this thread. Everyone was and is against the Congress being run by the Gandhi family as their family party from years - no matter whether they win or lose. The Gandhi family has ahead won from Amethi, their home ground and they lost this time really badly because they took the voters lightly. Probably the only reason they win here and there is because old people who are loyal, vote for them. They won in the South, because people hate Modi there due to the way the Sabarimala incident and the Vedanta incident was handled. People just chose the lesser of the two evils there. They don't want the BJP/RSS goons to trample all over their religion and food eating choices (beef is famous in South as a delicious food) if there BJP comes to power and starts acting like they own the place.

Here's another question, what was the mandate for ? to do what ? to do more of what ?

AND how the govt then interprets WHAT that mandate is

How to parse it. One can go over the election rhetoric which started with security. Well, that was the BJP bragging about what it did. This is not an area where more work needs to be done. People are satisfied, i am at least and confident in the direction here.[DOUBLEPOST=1558884169][/DOUBLEPOST]
How many VVPAT were verified with the EVMs? 100%? No?

Mod Edit: Avoid personal attacks
Number is in the linked article. Why does it need to be 100%, if one takes a random sample and finds not a single problem then isn't the sample size enough.

Look, if you are against the EVM's then clearly it is not and only all or nothing will satisfy which is wholly impractical and will never happen.

Iran is not the reason the prices came down. The USA had record production of shale this year lowering the prices in the market. China ramped up buying oil from Iran and if India grows balls, India can get oil from Iran too for cheap. Indian oil companies are getting greedy that's all there is to it.
I'm referring to prices going up as a result of Iran. Actually price rise we can deal with. Stoppage we cannot. I've not heard much about development of strategic oil reserves with this govt. There was talk about it with the last govt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really if you paid attention to the various posts in this thread. Everyone was and is against the Congress being run by the Gandhi family as their family party from years - no matter whether they win or lose. The Gandhi family has ahead won from Amethi, their home ground and they lost this time really badly because they took the voters lightly. Probably the only reason they win here and there is because old people who are loyal, vote for them. They won in the South, because people hate Modi there due to the way the Sabarimala incident and the Vedanta incident was handled. People just chose the lesser of the two evils there. They don't want the BJP/RSS goons to trample all over their religion and food eating choices (beef is famous in South as a delicious food) if there BJP comes to power and starts acting like they own the place.
let's say your doctor is a third generation doctor. Will you hold it against him ? or your accountant or lawyer or whomever

Then why does it matter if the guy running for office comes from a family. The reason is because the name works for the bulk of the electorate if not those that makes these statements in the media or internet. Take the family out of the party and you are left with no party. It breaks up into state franchises. Look at NCP, YSR, TMC for examples.

This country is a collection of family run businesses any way. Public ownership via the stock market is reducing that but its quite prevalent otherwise.

This same question was put to them in 2014. How much change was there ? this is not a party that is into introspection. They figure that people will tire of the BJP eventually and who then will they vote for. A party that still got 120 million votes isn't dead. I will repeat again what eroded Congress wasn't the BJP but regional parties over many years. How well are those parties doing now. Maya, Lalu & Akhilesh are down. Where do their voters go. TINOA isn't it.

Last edited:
Back