BJP can do course correction.. Here it is..

I am really confused. You say you don't want to reply on the topic and then 10 mins later tag me again.

What exactly are you looking for?
Obviously I'm not looking anything... I was done with voting count discrepancy topic!!!

The later reply was to appreciate your capability on reading others mind :)

Check the ECI’s response to the allegations of ghost voters here: https://www.indiatoday.in/india/sto...smatch-election-commission-1540291-2019-06-01
Even the EC is made up of BJP fans. Take anything they claim with s pinch of salt. They easily let a lot of BJP politicians get away with using the army and using caste politics in their speeches and took action against competing parties who did the same. Why did one guy from the election commission step down saying his vote wasnt even counted? EC has become a joke.

Last edited:
So the cabinet portfolios are out. If the election wasn't entirely about security & foreign policy then the cabinet picks certainly are.

Jaishankar as foreign minister is an inspired choice. Technocrat brought in from outside, didn't stand in any elections and dropped into the cabinet. Kinda like Manmohan was. He won't be motherly like Sushma was but his other attributes will make up for it. Son of K. Subramaniam. Former ambassador to US & China. So he knows both these countries well.

Amit Shah is big on nationalism so will handle any domestic security threats that come up. Could be more aggressive than Rajnath. Expect further gains in Kashmir. 35A is going, going, gone. 370, might not be.

Rajnath as Defense minister is a step up from home. If there was no major domestic disturbance in the last term its due to him. No major communal riot, naxal wins or terror incidents in non-AFSPA India. Thank Rajnath for that.

These last two are political heavy weights and their ministries will benefit from it. Both former BJP presidents. Meritocracy picks. Rajnath in particular is going to have more push than Parrikar or Nirmala every could. There is some major modernisation that needs to be completed if the military is to stand a fighting chance against adversaries.

Imagine Doval will return and complete the gang. Doklam was thanks to PM, Jaishankaar & Doval burning the midnight oil.

Security & foreign policy is going to be good with these people under Modi :)

And then there is the matter of finance where we have a political light weight like Nirmala. She is very good at learning and maybe she could be good at this but im not entirely impressed. Seriously ? they couldn't find anyone better. Or is her choice a political one, since she's from Andhra. There is a some serious work to do in the finance area and whether she is good enough for such a job....in any case her stint at defense will at least ensure defense acquisitions don't get stalled. She isn't likely to put up a fight.

Last edited:
^^ Let the economy go to the gutters, concentrate on defence, which India is good at anyways.

And how much effective Amit shah would be, that only time will tell. Time and again this administration has shown that its more talk and less substance.

And Doval is in as expected. This completes the squad

Doval was widely credited along with the then Foreign Secretary S. Jaishankar and Indian Ambassador to China Vijay Keshav Gokhale, for resolving Doklam Standoff through diplomatic channels and negotiations.

It is being said that Doval also played a crucial role during Balakot airstrikes and release of Wing Commander Abhinandan Varthaman held in Pakistani custody.

Doval also played a key role in the hostage crisis in 1999 with Vivek Katju

Regardless of the results i think this debate both for & against at Oxford Uni makes for interesting listening as the ideological arguments won't go away in this term

Social media won't be quiet and will hold the regular media to account. You can't shut up a billion people tapping away on phones. These people are not regulated, do not comply with codes of conduct and aren't in it for the money. The govt cannot silence them by withdrawing ads
I wouldn't put faith in social media for anything. It suffers from same problem as our media. The problem of opinions masquerading as news. Add to the fact that social media is an open for all buffet, so anyone agreeing with Modi is a bhakt and opposing side a nationalist, tensions will flare and never arrive at a rational judgement.

Regardless of the results i think this debate both for & against at Oxford Uni makes for interesting listening as the ideological arguments won't go away in this term
There are lots of things Modi government can be criticized for. Demonistation was an ill-thought plan and put a hard break on growth. While GST remains a great plan the implementation left lot to be desired. Instead of focusing on important issues like these, the ideological arguments like rise of Hinduism etc takes focus away from important issues.

^^ Let the economy go to the gutters, concentrate on defence, which India is good at anyways.
To improve the economy, requires good data. How do you know what to fix or gauge the effects of any changes. So Modi already announced a change in his commencement speech, combining the CSO with the NSSO. Ideally this org will improve its data quality and present it to parliament in a neutral transparent manner so we can have honest discussions on the topic. Currently either side is free to make up what every arguments they want and use rhetoric. We have world class statisticians but third rate data. Whatever the RBI does only affects 40% of the economy because the data does not account for the rest.

The next question is whether an emerging market democracy is willing to undertake reforms when needed or only when it has its back to the wall. History suggests the latter. When the problem is bad, reforms have a more visible effect. Structural reforms such as GST don't show any tangible results immediately but nobody doubts their value over time.

Anytime reform is announced the question is who the winners and losers are. You would think doing steady reforms when losers are less would be the key but i don't know whether it works that way.

There are many suggestions as to what Modi should do here. We will have to see what is decided and then track it.

And how much effective Amit shah would be, that only time will tell. Time and again this administration has shown that its more talk and less substance.
He intends to get the NRC implemented. That is going to be quite a fight. As far as internal security goes he will be on top of it.

I wouldn't put faith in social media for anything. It suffers from same problem as our media. The problem of opinions masquerading as news. Add to the fact that social media is an open for all buffet, so anyone agreeing with Modi is a bhakt and opposing side a nationalist, tensions will flare and never arrive at a rational judgement.
You could even say that about some particularly boisterous sessions in the assembly :)

Don't discount the social media era. Modi realised this early and tailored his communications to exploit it. He even went old school with radio.

There are lots of things Modi government can be criticized for. Demonistation was an ill-thought plan and put a hard break on growth. While GST remains a great plan the implementation left lot to be desired. Instead of focusing on important issues like these, the ideological arguments like rise of Hinduism etc takes focus away from important issues.
Was thinking how to put a positive spin on notes ban. Since there is no way to do it rationally, i will attempt to do it laterally...

Note ban showed people were willing to put up with some pain and still forgive him after. This means reforms that also entail some pain become feasible and less politically risky.

The ideological arguments will continue, the hardliners are the most disappointed in this regard. They got a heavy dose of lip service :D

Last edited:
You could even say that about some particularly boisterous sessions in the assembly :)

Don't discount the social media era. Modi realised this early and tailored his communications to exploit it. He even went old school with radio.
You seem to be moved away from the original point. The point was whether we can depend on social media to report/discuss on things when Modi makes a mistake. I am discounting the fact that social media is going to some kind of purveyor of truth. It is not. Social media runs on herd mentality. And that is why it is a great medium to reach people.

I am not discounting the fact that social media has given voice to everyone. It is a great way to reach people. Modi and his use is beyond the point of discussion. Though I agree he has done better than many.

Was thinking how to put a positive spin on notes ban. Since there is no way to do it rationally, i will attempt to do it laterally...

Note ban showed people were willing to put up with some pain and still forgive him after. This means reforms that also entail some pain become feasible and less politically risky.

The ideological arguments will continue, the hardliners are the most disappointed in this regard. They got a heavy dose of lip service :D
There is no positive spin on notes ban really. Rationally or laterally. There has been a slowdown in economy. What really is the difference is that everyone went Wolf! Wolf! prematurely. Economic repercussions don't follow a policy immediately. It takes time. As we see the slowdown arrive, we might see a different picture. But again that is going to be for nought, if other parties don't stop chanting Modi, Modi, Modi for everything and just polishing his invincible aura.

You seem to be moved away from the original point. The point was whether we can depend on social media to report/discuss on things when Modi makes a mistake. I am discounting the fact that social media is going to some kind of purveyor of truth. It is not. Social media runs on herd mentality. And that is why it is a great medium to reach people.

I am not discounting the fact that social media has given voice to everyone. It is a great way to reach people. Modi and his use is beyond the point of discussion. Though I agree he has done better than many.
yes, if we look at leaders brought down in other countries as a result then social media because it is uncontrollable becomes a new avenue of dissent.

There is no positive spin on notes ban really. Rationally or laterally. There has been a slowdown in economy. What really is the difference is that everyone went Wolf! Wolf! prematurely. Economic repercussions don't follow a policy immediately. It takes time. As we see the slowdown arrive, we might see a different picture. But again that is going to be for nought, if other parties don't stop chanting Modi, Modi, Modi for everything and just polishing his invincible aura.
Slowdown can be attributed to many things. Where to start. Modi's govt was more statist in comparison to Vajpayee. If the private sector employs the most then macroeconomic stability becomes vital. Provide that and domestic companies feel more confident about investing. We've had macroeconomic stability in the last govt, a reasonable growth rate with benign inflation. Compared to the 2009 - 2014 era. That is a definite improvement.

Consider if interest rates in the US rise. FDI flows out and back to the US. The rupee weakens, we have to spend more on oil, this can cause inflation to go up.

How this govt deals with the banking crisis, this $100bn hole we have to work with. I found the guest quite interesting check him out. He was on recently as well.

yes, if we look at leaders brought down in other countries as a result then social media because it is uncontrollable becomes a new avenue of dissent.

You are quoting extreme examples as a norm. Given how we are divided along bhakt vs others, situation will need to worsen a lot before anything happens. Btw, do check how many of those countries bounced back?

Slowdown can be attributed to many things. Where to start. Modi's govt was more statist in comparison to Vajpayee. If the private sector employs the most then macroeconomic stability becomes vital. Provide that and domestic companies feel more confident about investing. We've had macroeconomic stability in the last govt, a reasonable growth rate with benign inflation. Compared to the 2009 - 2014 era. That is a definite improvement.

Consider if interest rates in the US rise. FDI flows out and back to the US. The rupee weakens, we have to spend more on oil, this can cause inflation to go up.

How this govt deals with the banking crisis, this $100bn hole we have to work with. I found the guest quite interesting check him out. He was on recently as well.

You said many things but only quoted two and that too a conditionals - If the private sector....why would they? They need incentives to do anything and moves like demontisation doesn't help anyone. As for US interest rates, true but other governments have handled those better.

In any case, we are going in circles on this. So, let's agree to disagree.

You are quoting extreme examples as a norm. Given how we are divided along bhakt vs others, situation will need to worsen a lot before anything happens. Btw, do check how many of those countries bounced back?
If it works in an extreme case then why is not applicable in India.

You said many things but only quoted two and that too a conditionals - If the private sector....why would they? They need incentives to do anything and moves like demontisation doesn't help anyone. As for US interest rates, true but other governments have handled those better.

In any case, we are going in circles on this. So, let's agree to disagree.
According to the speaker i linked to, macroeconomic stability provides the background for private companies to spend. As they will see demand. This is looking at it from a high level.

If it works in an extreme case then why is not applicable in India.

Because exceptions are not the rule. Please don't follow this up with asking me to prove a negatives like - why can't it work in India?

As for the other thing, lets see how things go from here. The idea of recapitalisation is fine but then lets see how it gets implemented.

going forward media might get even more cozy towards Modi.
I'm replying to the above with more extreme examples were media was completely in the hands of the dictator.

I think right now, the detractors, the ones who said no Modi wave, have to eat humble pie but this does not mean they will refrain from critiques in the future. Once policy starts to be enacted they will be back to the usual game. We will see a repeat of the last term. Where every thing gets questioned, spun and what not, right here on this board :)

The Modi marketing company has social media firmly in its control, even more so that mainstream media. The arab spring didn't have a two decades of sustained propaganda campaign to go against. You need to perform some crazy gymnastics to compare the situations. Mccarthyism would be a more similar situation with the poor oppressed "Hindu" under attack.

Last edited:
The driving forces are no where similar. McCarthyism came about in the 50s because the soviets so thoroughly penetrated the american system that they knew about the American nuclear program before the Americans heard they had one. The hardliners go on about oppressed hindu. Not the common man who voted for Modi. The hardliners will keep pushing for it. How far will they get ? if the last 5 years are any indication, just some lip service and nothing more.

Back