Black horizontal line across the phone screen

vigilante

Adept
Hi Guys,
I am suddenly seeing a black horizontal line across the screen of my samsung galaxy 3 phone. It looks as if all the pixels in that line are dead or something and restarting didnt help. The phone did not suffer any drop or anything. I just discovered it suddenly while it was on the desk. The phone is 2 yrs old. Does this mean the display is gone or is there something I can do about it?
Thanks.

Yes, the display is nearing it end of life.
The number of such lines will gradually increase over time although its rate cannot be predicted, it may remain like that for years or the entire screen will suffer in matter of days.
However other functions of the phone will not be hampered.

Are you able to use the touch controls on the black region?

If yes, I guess only the screen is gone.

If you're not able to use the touch screen in that region then it's a bigger problem with costly repairs.

I'm not sure about the actual costs involved in either case but if the touch screen is working then it should be much cheaper to repair.

Are you able to use the touch controls on the black region?
The line is just single pixel in height. So 'effectively' I don't see any issues with the touch controls. Would the repair involve replacing the whole display? Do you guys think it's worth investing ? The phone doesn't have any other problems.

Displays degrade over age and so this was expected.

If the touch screen is working then I guess you can get the screen replaced.

Whether it's worth or not depends on whether you can use it like this and how long you want to use the same phone.

If it's usable and bearable then it's fine but it usually gets worse over time as the phone gets older.
If you're upgrading in near future then no point investing.

I'm not sure about the actual repair cost but should be around 1.5k.

Yeah actually I was due for an upgrade later this month. And 2 yrs is about enough time for a phone these days. My only grouse would be that I was about to pass this on to my bro :ashamed:, which might not happen now. Anyways I'll check with some local repair shops for the cost and then proceed. Thanks for the replies guys.

Back