Blackberry might be banned in India

Safin

Skilled
Looks like blackberry services are in for some heavu weather in India.
A recent application to start the service by Tata teleservices was rejected by the DOT on the grounds that its impossible to decode the messages of the same for monitoring purposes. BlackBerry service does not allow for "lawful interception" mandated for all Value Added Services (VAS).

Tata Tele asked DoT why other operators were being allowed, the DoT fired off letters to existing BlackBerry providers seeking an explanation. Its unclear what stad will be taken but knowing the Indian government machinery one should brace up to be blackberry free in India :ashamed:

I any case, are they then going to block all email? If you have net on telephones, then this can never be blocked. Every webmail uses encrypted sessions (except GMail, lousy bastards).

Dont worry tata, airtel and blackberry's lobbyist will exchange gifts with our govt officials and life will move on.

nah, there's too much at at stake on the B-berry, no way DoT will ban it...

Life for a lousy pawn like I revolves ard my Blackberry ,forget the more senior folks

This just shows how ignorant DOT is and how mobile policy is being hijacked by vested interests, presumably Tata Tele wanted to go the straight path and we all know what happens when you try doing that here. This current stupidity is a perfect example.

Read in the paper today that RIM officials have been camping in Delhi and negotiating security issues with the communication ministry.

KingKrool said:
I any case, are they then going to block all email? If you have net on telephones, then this can never be blocked. Every webmail uses encrypted sessions (except GMail, lousy bastards).

Use
Code:
https://mail.google.com/

All big mail service providers oblige when they have to provide user mails/data for lawful purpose.

morgoth said:
No it won't. In India, nowadays, mob rules and mob (read middle class) won't accept a ban on Blackberry :)

You mean ppl with some money ?

..oh thats why they are kicking up this issue, there is a *defnite* pot of gold at the end of this rainbow. :cool2:

Obviously. If it comes to it, the telecom companies will pay some bureaucrats/politicians some money, and all of a sudden the bureaucrats will say that all is well, that we cannot stop progress, and that there is no security threat.

Which would all be true and valid, but the fact that you have to make a payoff pisses me off.

Of course it works like that in the West. Though usually there it is pure commerce - you want a license, you pay both above and under the table. Here they are demanding money under the table for allowing encryption!!! And they are making threats about it in the open!

The government is trying to create a police state..... what the hell are they thinking? Do they really think banning blackberries will improve security? I'm sure all those terrorist attacks in the past year were all due to the corrupt influence of the internet.

Bah. 90% of the terrorists can't read or write, let alone use a blackberry.

KingKrool said:
The government is trying to create a police state..... what the hell are they thinking?

Police states usually run more efficiently then democratic ones, do you really think these guys can pull that off ;)
KingKrool said:
Here they are demanding money under the table for allowing encryption!!! And they are making threats about it in the open!

Do they really think banning blackberries will improve security? I'm sure all those terrorist attacks in the past year were all due to the corrupt influence of the internet.
Bah. 90% of the terrorists can't read or write, let alone use a blackberry.

Pretext..pretext pretext...

We have encryption over the web, but i guess their intel indicates todays aspiring terrorist is more likely to be using a blackberry :rofl:

What this reads like to me is they are making an example of someone that went the straight route..and you did allude to this earlier. By making a big sound, you get bonus points ie more...next time, be cooperative and you pay less.

I have a very good 'feeling' this will work its self out one way or the other.

is this plausible or do i sound like i had a good smoke :)

The security argument is flawed. Technology available today allows you to use high-tech encryption in your communication, you don't need RIM to do it for you, there are sophisticated means to communicate without being found. Terrorists use those.

This is little more than ignorance and red tape, rules and laws designed to harass than anything else, ordinary folks suffer, the real criminals carry on without ado. Bureaucrats and other parts of the system need their egos to be massaged and of course bank balances must be replenished.

are people so disorganised that they constantly need to be attending to their mail and such ? I for one am very happy without one.

As far as secuity goes - a little known fact is that the US govt has the decryption key to EVERY software that comes out the US .. so as someone mentioned, that is NOT the way it works in the west.

Back