BlackBerry unveils its strangest device yet, the Passport: 4.5-inch 1440x1440 screen, 3-row QWERTY

blkrb0t

It's Nothing Personal
Skilled
BlackBerry's latest creation, the Passport, is an odd looking smartphone. It features a 4.5-inch screen with 1,440x1,440 resolution display, below which is placed a 3-row physical QWERTY keypad.

knZrnmI.jpg

With a display aspect ratio of 1:1, the phone does look weird, but the QWERTY keyboard below it at least saves it outer looks to some extent (remember the horrid LG Vu?). It's clearly aimed at business professionals, but I doubt whether they will fall for this.

The specifications of the Passport (some rumoured) are quite decent though:
  • 4.5-inch screen with 1,440x1,440 resolution display at 452.6ppi
  • Snapdragon 800 processor
  • 3GB RAM
  • 13MP rear camera
  • 3,450mAh battery
Another important feature of this smartphone is that the physical QWERTY keyboard also supports swiping, providing the best of both digital and physical keypads.

The Passport will launch in September in select markets.

Apart from the Passport, BlackBerry also unveiled the Classic. Its iconic BlackBerry-esque design is hard to miss, and from the looks of it, it is supposed to be a successor to BlackBerry's current Q-line of smartphones.

JJV6vz0.jpg

The Classic features a 3.5-inch screen along with the traditional BlackBerry keypad and an optical trackpad. It is expected to launch in November.

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-ceo-john-chen-shows-upcoming-blackberry-passport-and-blackberry-classic-smartphones

http://www.gsmarena.com/blackberry_ceo_shows_off_new_passport_and_classic_phones-news-8827.php

From the looks of it Passport is intended for traditionally BB users. And i do not see them sideload Android apps into Passport. Hence BB should pack in some useful apps in the phone itself, don't know if it is legal though.

Looks are ok'ish.. hardware is top notch.... dunno how much its gonna sell considering the price should be around 40k or more imo...

to think that Blackberry already abandoned their hardware endeavors. Does that mean they are back?

BlackBerry India is always stupid on pricing part. Repeated mistakes again and again. Same thing cost around 36K in USA. Blame our taxation. And this tool is for niche market.
I am going to buy it soon. :p

Back