Budget 15-20K Blackberry user planning to move to Smartphone. Please help.

pritesh

Disciple
Hi,

I was first here at TE for a laptop. Bought a Lenovo Z570 and am pretty happy with it. Work caught up really badly and could not be on the forum since then.

Back here for some good Smartphone suggestions. I have been a Blackberry user for past 6 years, first with a Javeline and now with a 8360. Never ever used an Android before.
Filled up the questionnaire.
1. Budget?
A: 20K at the very max.
2. Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?
A: Bar
3. Preferred display type?
A: Not Sure.
4. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: Lenovo/Sony.
5. Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?
A: Touchscreen which will have QWERTY keys in display (darn I am a prehistoric fella).
6. Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.
A: Good Camera
7. Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: Android. I dislike Windows 8. I really do. No offense.
8. Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).
A: 3G and WiFi
9. What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?
A: E-mails (office mails, being able to sync MS Exchange mails/Calendar), Whatsapp, reading PDFs, listening to music, watching Videos.
10. Any other requirements?
A: Phone must have a good battery life, build quality should be strong, dual sim would be great too.
11. If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.
A: Lenovo P780, Sony Xperia L or SP, Samsug Galaxy Duos.

I am into production support so spend a lot of time on long conference calls which go on from anything from 4 hours to 22 hours. So need a smartphone with good battery life. My usage is pretty rough so prefer a tough durable phone with a good build quality.

Apart from these factors, here's why I need a smartphone - to configure my smartphone to recieve mails, personal and official. I also have to ( and enjoy) reading a lot of technical white papers, so good screen quality will help. My family members are all on whatsapp (From my 14 year old nephew to 70 year old Aunt....and I have a big family:) ) and I am about to be out cast for not using whatsapp :) so yeah that's one of the important reasons.

I am not a Windows 8 guy. Gotta have an android phone.

Love listening to music so some phone that's got a good sound quality would be great.

I am a lenovo guy, but thats because I have a Lenovo Z570 and a Thinkpad T430 and both of these are truly awesome laptops, so I am hoping that the Lenovo smart phones would sort of be up to the mark.

I had used Sony phone (long time ago, I think it was a W700 or something like that) and was pretty happy with it. So brand wise, I would prefer Lenovo or Sony.

Went through a couple of reviews as well as youtube vids and am not able to choose between a Lenovo P780 or a Sony Xperia C/L/SP.

Budget cannot go a rupee over 20K, thats my max cap.

Some youtube vids stated issues with P780 WiFi and other issues such at heating up, hence the dual mind.

Dual reminds me, Dual sim would be a good thing to have :)

Any current users of P780? Saw a thread talking about P780 and it seems to be good per one user, but not sure. Can someone suggest please?[DOUBLEPOST=1387038347][/DOUBLEPOST]Hi,
Just went through a thread here which speaks about low call quality issues. Another thread on Lenovo website states few more issues like not able to sync with the Microsoft Exchange Mail Server, poor sound quality, bad lenovo support. Anyone here using Lenovo P 780 for office use? Able to sync your office mails/calendar?

I need to have these features. Kindly let me know.

Last edited:
Yes. A lot of people have mentioned a few niggling issues about P780. However, my colleague is using it and he's quite happy with his phone. But if you are uncomfortable with this phone you can consider Sony Xperia C/SP or if you research properly, you may find a Galaxy S3 for about 20K which is a good phone as well. These phones will get a Kitkat update as well.
Also, why not consider: http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_g-review-1021.php

Hi creative420,
Thank you for taking the time to reply. After a lot of views (71 to be exact) I was wondering what I did that ticked people off that no one replied :) So thank you so much for replying.

I will surely research. 20K is not a small amount for me, so want to be absolutely sure before I end up buying something which turns out to be a lemon.

Thank you once again.

Hi aquaticbullet,

Thanks for the update. However, my budget is max 20K. Cant spend a rupee more than that. I have checked online and price is more than 20K. Thats the problem.

Regards,

Pritesh

Hi creative420,
Thank you for taking the time to reply. After a lot of views (71 to be exact) I was wondering what I did that ticked people off that no one replied :) So thank you so much for replying.

I will surely research. 20K is not a small amount for me, so want to be absolutely sure before I end up buying something which turns out to be a lemon.

Thank you once again.
Ola. I know sometimes there are many views but no reply. But I guess that's just when someone is not in the position to contribute, for I know the people of this forum are otherwise quite awesome!

In fact, I've just posted something 2-3 days back but there has been no response as of yet. But I'm sure I'll get a response when I least expect it :p

I agree that 20K is not a small amount at all. So spend it wisely and let us know what beast you've bought with your moolah! :)

You can also look at Motorola Droid RAZR M or Droid RAZR Maxx HD. Very good phones and great prices. You can get RAZR M for approx. 15k and has got all the features you are looking for.

The only phone I can suggest for your requirements is Moto XPRT.
Specs: http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_xprt_mb612-3946.php
Images: https://encrypted.google.com/images...pell=1&ei=BEq0UqHuIYfzrQflwICwDw&ved=0CCUQvwU

It has Android 2.3, not upgradable, but can be rooted (though I didn't need to root it yet).

I have been using for more than a year and here is my experience:
The best 5MP camera I have seen yet. Has dual flash.
Great battery life. Will sustain 2 days for normal usage. (well, you need to optimize it)
Looks, feel and performance --sturdy.
I sync my google account for email & calendar. Often use GPS.

A big problem is, this phone is difficult to find in India.
But from US you can get it for about $80 easily.

probably going to get shot down here but as a blackberry user any particular reason you didn't look at a bb10 device ? :p z10 is around 18k on ebay I think.

main plus is the excellent call quality which would help on your conference calls, in fact I prefer mine to the landline. plus whatsapp and whatnot work as well

I would recommend a Moto G ,if you want Android . If you have no need for even occasional gaming or don't feel the requirement for most of the apps and need a Phone that simply works get a Blackberry . Z10's build quality and its feel is probably better than an iphone and whats app works just fine

Back