book on c++

shivam99aa

Disciple
i am pursuing btech.i got c in my sem and i am from computer science so i want to learn it in deep.i studied yashwant kanitkar but i am not satisfied by the book it seems to be useless .can anybody suggest me a book which can enhance my knowledge and help me in writing programs.tell me a book of use.

For Beginner to intermediate, refer "Thinking in C++", if you know C, this book will give you a problem and the walkthrough in the solution given by C++ over C.

Or may be some other already posted in the links mentioned. I can not comment on other's suggestion as I have not discussed the topic with them but I believe you can trust books mentioned by harakari.

Want some advance text? try Stanley B. Lippman (worked with Bjarne Stroustrup @ Bell Labs), or The c++ programming language.

More advance and specific to actual use cases: Try Exceptional C++ (and perhaps more exceptional C++ <- not read this but should be good considering the Ist part )

dud i will suggest you three books.....1.E.Balaguruswamy,2.ansi c++,3.BYRON S GOTTFRIED....
it will be helpfull to u among these three books...

even i would suggest yashwant kanetkar and e.balaguruswamy. they have helped me a lot.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

G.S Baluja is good too..

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

G.S Baluja is good too..

shivam99aa said:
i am pursuing btech.i got c in my sem and i am from computer science so i want to learn it in deep.i studied yashwant kanitkar but i am not satisfied by the book it seems to be useless .can anybody suggest me a book which can enhance my knowledge and help me in writing programs.tell me a book of use.
Book Reviews - C and C++ Books and References - Cprogramming.com

Read these ebooks.

Indian books will take you....nowhere

Read E Balagurusamy to get up with the basics, then write small programs using STL, etc. in C++.

Reference for every thing (ANSI C++) available at cplusplus.com

That's how I learnt and am still learning.

Boot_Comp said:
For a beginner stay absolutely away from Kanetkar. That book is a great example of a crappy book.

Yes I seriously agree with this. Kanetkar books really suck! It teaches you all non-ANSI stuff.

I learnt C++ from the website cplusplus.com...I highly recommend it.The tutorial explains the minimal most important set of concepts in very easy way.The site also all the C++ reference you would need if you're interested in learning STL.

nuke'em said:
I learnt C++ from the website cplusplus.com...I highly recommend it.The tutorial explains the minimal most important set of concepts in very easy way.The site also all the C++ reference you would need if you're interested in learning STL.

IMHO, STL is the C++ programmer's sugar. Some nice things exist in it which would take ages to create a bug free implementation of the same.

We had java included along with c++ in first year engineering . Is it the same for you . The best way to learn c++ is not by reading countless number of books but to practice what you learn . Try to solve as many programs of C++ , The more you solve programs the better you will get .
I too tried various foreign books on c++ but that did not get me good marks .
See which programs have been asked in your exams for last 10 years and study accordingly . When i mastered c++ programming i didnt even had to learn any theory part , i could write it on my own .

Back