Car & Bike Booking new Swift swift-Diesel or Petrol for city driving?

baccilus

Skilled
I need to buy a car in 5-6 lakh for city driving. It will be used just once or twice in a week, rarely more. I have two questions:
1. Is Swift the best car in this range. Please note that I will be getting this through CSD canteen and I have very few options.
2. Should I get the Diesel or Petrol version?

Please note that I will be getting the upcoming model.

Tron05 said:
Diesel is a 'no brainer' for your usage. Go for petrol.
Why is that? The common perception is that diesel vehicles require significantly more maintenance. Is that correct? More specifically, will that be correct for the new swift?

Now a Days Diesel engine are more smart & good Performer , Days are Gone when we need to get Service of our Diesel engine every qtr , I hold Maruti Dzire Vdi , from last 3 year , i have till now run 40000 kms , still no Engine service has been done to my car , i use for mainly for city drive , once in 1 six month to Pune or Shirdi .

keeping in mind the fuel prices Diesel is good Bet.

baccilus said:
Why is that? The common perception is that diesel vehicles require significantly more maintenance. Is that correct? More specifically, will that be correct for the new swift?

that is pretty much true. Diesel vehicles require ON TIME service and the service cost is around 70-80% more than a petrol (e.g i20 petrol vs. i20 diesel). Not to mention the Rs. 1 lakh that you're paying extra while purchasing diesel (vis-a-vis the petrol model), also, if you're in delhi, then 2.5% extra road tax and 40% extra on insurance (than petrol).

If you usage is high, then go for a diesel, else petrol fits the bill. I'd suggest you to look at Etios sedan, its a very fun to drive car. a beautiful 1.6 sporty engine.

No point getting a diesel variant if used hardly on weekends/weekdays. Book as soon as possible coz heard that booking already reach around 20k.

@baccilus,

the common belief about diesel engines, is applicable to only the old generation Diesel engines!

The currently available diesel engines hardly need a lot of special maintenance than the Petrol engines!

And if you compare the swift petrol and diesel, the diesel wins hands down, its much more fun to drive and it gives good mileage and considering the rising prices of petrol, i would never suggest *anyone* a petrol car unless they want a petrol car specifically!

An year back, i would have suggested you a petrol car, because you have low usage,

but now the diesel is more sensible , because its rise in rates would be controlled unlike petrol! and

since you can afford the diesel model and also get a good deal from the canteen, you should go for the Diesel model!

The upcoming model is very good although i wouldn't call it the best in the range, but it wont be far behind !

What all other options do you have from the canteen?

and just out of curiosity, at what rates would you be getting the car at? and Which trim?

^ Consider diesel upfront cost, spare parts and maintenance cost. I agree current diesel engines are pretty good and requires low maintenance but still higher than petrol counterparts.

If you driver >= 50 - 60 km/day get a diesel vehicle. Also remember, there are strong talks for the diesel subsidy to be lifted for non-commercial.

I am getting Swift at following prices from CSD:

Vxi: 4.28L

Vdi: 4.87L

Zxi: 4.99L

Ldi: 4.57L

My father seems to be adamant about only the petrol variant since the our usage will be less. He has heard from many people that a diesal engine:

Is too heavy and hence and wear of front wheels is more;

Starts needing repairs sooner than petrol engine

I think I will normally drive it for just about 200-300Km per month.

A diesel engine car is only justified if u have a daily commuting of abt 70km. Apart from that the upkeep is strict, costs more and rest assured, the prices of diesel will be shooting up again.

I purchased a car in the beginning of this year itself so i been looking up a lot regarding the Diesel Vs Petrol arguements.

Heed ur Dad's opinion and go ahead with the petrol version of the car.

Spacescreamer said:
Heed ur Dad's opinion and go ahead with the petrol version of the car.

I think I am going to heed your advice about heeding my dad's advice. It will save me from "I told you so" too just in case anything does wrong down the line :)

@baccilus

1) The prices you mentioned are ex-showroom prices ??

2) I think, there are some issue going on between Car dealers and CSD....Are you sure, all issues have been resolved ??

I too want to buy through CSD....

These are the end prices I will be getting here in Chandigarh. The issue has recently been resolved. Actually, CSD wasn't paying them their dues.

Get the petrol version as your usage is very less and also diesel prices may be decontrolled soon for car owners..

RS4 said:
Get the petrol version as your usage is very less and also diesel prices may be decontrolled soon for car owners..

I have no idea how they will enforce them. I can already see petrol pump guys being bribed to put in diesel at truck prices.

Back