Budget 90k+ booo's 2018 build

booo

BA BA BA BABANANA
Skilled
Okay... Although I would like to think that I am know it all; I know I am not. which is the reason I am starting this thread. Its been a while and I havnt updated my pc just because I didnt need to. even today, I can play all the games that I have at ultra settings on my pc. but then, I always liked building pcs but didnt have motivation recently due to intel's complacency. I always have been a amd fan and finally amd convinced me that threadripper is a good processor. So this build would be a ryzen build. I have few design principles that I would like to follow, but clueless on few other things. And thats where I would like everyone's inputs. :)
  1. Processor is chosen, it would be threadripper 2 32 core. I would put preorder on the day they announce it.
  2. Liquid cooling is a big question mark, I dont really have time to overclock. Also, talk is that overclocking 32core would consume a lot of power. but more importantly... I dont have time to babysit the PC.
  3. I want to make this desktop look good. really good. I wont mind liquid cooling if it makes the pc look good instead of cooling the pc. but then, I dont want to go overboard with RGB lighting. more of artistic modding and vinyl sticker cutting etc...
  4. I am confused with graphics card. feels like Vega 64 is not good enough and they will release next card sometime next year. I was thinking may be stick with current graphics card until next one is released or go with Vega 64.
  5. Screen is another big question. I want it to be 4k. I do photo/video editing some times and like accurate colors. like technicolor certified etc... at the same time I need gaming too. hence the confusion.
  6. I kinda like Asus products because of the way they provide stable drivers and software. which is the same exact reason I hate corsair h100i and the cpu aio, it was a pain in the butt to even change the rgb color.
  7. Its been a while since I built my last pc. which means that I am not up to date with the current manufacturers and trends like cases and other peripherals.
Cheers

1) Good choice on the threadripper2. Intel has nothing to compare it to. However be ready to pay close to 2000$ for it.
2) Since you are in the US, you could get a custom loop or a TR4 specific aio like the enermax liqtech tr4
3) -
4) Hold on to buying a good GPU. Find some temporary placeholder for now (RX580/GTX1060)
5) Get two screens - one 4k with Adobe RGB gamut running at 60 hertz for photos and one for gaming that is 144Hz and maybe with HDR. Keep the gaming screen as the primary monitor and do all photo preview on the secondary.
6) Asus will release an update to the x399 Zenith Extreme motherboard which fixes some of the board bugs and has a better VRM. This board has *a lot* of bugs so wait for the refresh. We have 6 in our lab and have minor issues in all of them

5) Get two screens - one 4k with Adobe RGB gamut running at 60 hertz for photos and one for gaming that is 144Hz and maybe with HDR. Keep the gaming screen as the primary monitor and do all photo preview on the secondary.
This sounds like a good idea.
This board has *a lot* of bugs so wait for the refresh.
This is what I hate. what about other brands? historically I used MSI back in India. not sure about gigabyte and asrock.

/OT if you would like to think you are a know it all, but you know you are not, doesn't that truly make you a know it all !

I'm on board with a lot you said and Chaos too.

Skip LC and excess lighting. Get a really well designed case, both aesthetically and functionally. Wait on a GPU. The current climate is really bad. And if you have the budget, two monitors sounds fantastic. Unless there's a really good display that does both. US prices are sane, so i would personally spend a bomb (there) on an exceptional display. (I had bought a viewsonic 17PS circa 95-96 for Rs. 47k :-/ )

I am going to stay on mcdonalds and m&m diet for a few months. :hungover:
preorder.PNG

So how does the config look? comments highly appreciated.

Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX
DIYPC Alpha-DB6 Black
GIGABYTE X399 AORUS Gaming 7
Seasonic SSR-1000FX FOCUS 1000W 80 PLUS Gold
G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-3200C14Q-32GTZRX (X2)
SAMSUNG 970 EVO 1TB

I want to buy the cooler master wraith ripper but its not listed anywhere as of now. so I have to see what can be done there.
big question is Radeon Vega 64 or wait?

Okay, made some changes and also pulled trigger on the vega 64. got scared when I heard the news that chinese computer imports would be hit by 25% tariffs. thanks to Trump.

ASUS ROG Radeon RX Vega 64 STRIX
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200 (PC4 25600) C16
ASUS ROG Strix X399-E Gaming
Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-1000FX 1000W 80+ Gold
Pixio PX277h 27 inch 144Hz HDR WQHD 2560 x 1440

The screen is kind of impulse buy...
Need to pickup Intel 760 512G and 2990WX amd some sort of cooling solution and a case from microcenter this monday.

Now I have to figure out how to cool this thing. the wraith ripper air cooler is not available anywhere. I dont really want to use the close loop. A lot of confusion now. need to come up with the plan. anyways the rest of the stuff is still in transit so I have some time to figure out.

IMG_2822.JPG

From the reviews it appears that the 2990wx only improves in rendering loads. Rest of the applications actually have performance regressions due to the apps not being able to manage so many threads correctly. Performance parity is reached with the 2950x by disabling 16 of the cores that do not have local memory access and must go through the infinity fabric.

Looks like the software ecosystem and the windows scheduler need to evolve to allow for efficient use of this beast.

From the reviews it appears that the 2990wx only improves in rendering loads. Rest of the applications actually have performance regressions due to the apps not being able to manage so many threads correctly. Performance parity is reached with the 2950x by disabling 16 of the cores that do not have local memory access and must go through the infinity fabric.

Looks like the software ecosystem and the windows scheduler need to evolve to allow for efficient use of this beast.
Saw those reviews. but I knew that it would be the situation when they announced it.

^^ Probably, just AMD being lazy. They have never been very good at proactively working with other companies (like their competition) for the betterment of their respective products. It took a decade for them to catch up to Intel and now they are releasing a CPU line with more cores than the software can make use of and probably never tried to work with the software developers to somehow try to have them make better use of their hardware. By the time, the support comes in, their competitors would also be there with a better performing alternative.

Its really funny you guys are jumping to conclusions so quickly. stuff like cpu benchmarking can get really tricky. I usually dont take benchmarks seriously because you can make something look really good or bad based on how you test. I am saying this because I do a lot of perf testing w.r.t. storage and network and most of the time we actually cook the results to make them good for us.

for example, If I want the storage to look good; I would do something like 64K IO with 70% read but on a small drive where most of it would be read cached on the controller. to make it look bad, I would to 4k IO on a larger LUN with 100% random. Now, I know that on linux if we use ext4 file system, we exactly know how the linux kernel optimizes the IO caching and to avoid it we will either do IO directly to the underlying block device or even the raw device if I want to make it look bad. This is just an analogy. but the point I am trying to say is, there is so much to perf benchmarking especially for stuff like processor. I would be really interested in how he configured numa on linux on his test bench. https://linux.die.net/man/8/numactl "/sys/devices/system/node/node*/numastat for NUMA memory hit statistics."

Is WinTel deliberately choking AMD ?
They probably scattered some infinite loops around the code :p if(AMD) {while (1);}
Same thing I said in the previous post - the Windows 10 scheduler can't handle so many cores and threads.
Probably true. but someone will post a bug pretty soon.

Back