Budget 90k+ booo's 2018 build

Given how the Meltdown and Spectre patches rushed out by Microsoft screwed up performance for AMD processors though the patch was mainly for Intel CPU's, AMD clearly doesn't collaborate with Microsoft to the same extent as Intel does or at least to the extent needed. So, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the scheduler isn't optimized for so many cores

It is also understandable to an extent. How many times do you see single process running 64 threads in desktops. Even on server side, I have only seen our Java services being configured with thread pool sizes of 200 or more. I have built services in golang that perform significantly better (60k goroutines) while running on 8 threads.

How many times do you see single process running 64 threads in desktops.
Its actually more common than what everyone thinks. for example I just opened firefox with just one TE tab. it is running a lot of threads :/ On the other hand; the problem with games is that you cannot run multiple threads for audio and video. the synchronization becomes a big problem. that's why games need to be single threaded. even things like multi-threaded x264 encoding is very tricky. if you breakdown a single frame with multiple threads you will find artifacts on the frame since the encoding is done using spacial data w.r.t a pixel. but then I tried it a decade ago and it didn't work out for me. dont know if the newer algorithms found a way. I somewhat blame intel's monopoly for pushing everyone towards single threaded performance and to some extent sticking to 32bit model. Linux world did not do that.
ff.png

but being all that said, spectre screwed up performance a lot. especially considering the fact that 100% of the datacenter cpus are intel.

Spawning a lot of threads is not the same as using a lot of threads. Most of those threads in Firefox are doing nothing and just waiting. They are not consuming any CPU cycles or getting switched into. I can see only 4-5 threads in the main process. I can spawn a 1000 threads and have them do nothing and it will run without a fuss on a single core.

that's why games need to be single threaded. even things like multi-threaded x264 encoding is very tricky
Yes, but there are answers already, for e.g BF, Farcry, metro were already very efficient. I believe it is the engines that were more restricting and nobody wanted to re-invent it given modular development and focussing more on functionality than technique. The constant pressure to shorten the lead time to market and intel monopoly has this area not developing as fast as possible.

I am pretty sad actually... around 10 years ago I posted a similar picture when I bought a lot of stuff from TE market place and posted a very similar picture. It was AMD phenom rig I think. but then, both my pups were in that pic. Subbu pictured in my av passed away last year. and Nicky the other dude passed away couple of weeks ago. :sorry:
IMG_2825.JPG

Its actually more common than what everyone thinks. for example I just opened firefox with just one TE tab. it is running a lot of threads :/ On the other hand; the problem with games is that you cannot run multiple threads for audio and video. the synchronization becomes a big problem. that's why games need to be single threaded. even things like multi-threaded x264 encoding is very tricky. if you breakdown a single frame with multiple threads you will find artifacts on the frame since the encoding is done using spacial data w.r.t a pixel. but then I tried it a decade ago and it didn't work out for me. dont know if the newer algorithms found a way. I somewhat blame intel's monopoly for pushing everyone towards single threaded performance and to some extent sticking to 32bit model. Linux world did not do that.

but being all that said, spectre screwed up performance a lot. especially considering the fact that 100% of the datacenter cpus are intel.

Games do use threaded command buffer dispatch these days especially ones that use Vulkan. Doom. Wolfenstein, Ashes of the Singularity are spectacularly well threaded. However there is a limit to how many render threads you can create as the dispatch is not 100% parallel like say a pure cpu rendering load. Hence games will not scale perfectly with extra cores.

The bigger issue here is the fact that 16 of the cores are far weaker due to the lack of an on die memory controller. Latency to memory via the infinity fabric is roughly twice of when it has local memory access. The operating system scheduler must be aware of this and must schedule tasks on the right cores based on availability and the primary 16 of them must always be favored over the other 16 with no memory controller. I doubt the Windows scheduler is doing this right now. Otherwise we should be seeing parity across the board between 2990wx and 2950x on lightly threaded loads. Right now that can be achieved only when the weaker 16 cores are disabled.

I built the system yesterday and it was giving out DRAM error so gave up and went to sleep. today, I remembered that I have to put the ram in the order of the serial numbers and then after that it started working. now, whenever I try to install the OS or boot using ubuntu drive etc... the motherboard errors out at 61- NVRAM initialization. I have this intel 760 nvme drive and nothing else in the system. I am giving up today too. this is so much pain in the ass.

Not sure if this is relevant here but I think recently there were some articles about Windows and Linux having issues with some Intel SSDs (firmware) and having "blocked them" so have you tried older version of Linux in case you were trying the most recent version to install?

Or you can try disconnecting the Intel drive and see if Live session boots up?

Of course, try the latest mobo BIOS too, if available.

I built the system yesterday and it was giving out DRAM error so gave up and went to sleep. today, I remembered that I have to put the ram in the order of the serial numbers and then after that it started working. now, whenever I try to install the OS or boot using ubuntu drive etc... the motherboard errors out at 61- NVRAM initialization. I have this intel 760 nvme drive and nothing else in the system. I am giving up today too. this is so much pain in the ass.

Did you do a bios update? Since you are using a 1st gen X399 board, it probably will have issues with the 32 core monster without a bios update.

Edit: Also disable IOMMU in the bios.

The thread ripper is up.
ss.png

Its been a frustrating ordeal to deal with this installation. I initially thought that the NVMe drive was acting up with 61 post code. The it moved from there to secure boot. no matter what I did the system didn't boot. finally I called up ASUS support. the lady on the other side was awesome. very confident. so we started troubleshooting the memory this time. I mean, when I installed all the banks it went through the post; showed the ram speed. let me set the xmp profile and everything... the moment it would start booting it would show the windows logo screen or the ubuntu screen or the fedora screen and stuck there with 61. So she asked me to pull out every DIMM and use only one. voila, it boots without any issues. now she asks me to do it with 2 then 4 then 6. after few rounds of shuffling the DIMMs around we figured out that A2 and B2 memory channels are not letting the system boot. At this point she goes talks to someone, gives me a case number and tells me that she has escalated the issue. that's why you see the system with weird 47.9G ram capacity. I am able to boot the system with 6 sticks. installed the Windows OS and things are okay now. I know I am being a beta tester for the mobo :banghead: I know for sure its not the RAM and its not physical hardware problem. its just the buggy BIOS. I am interested to see what they will do to fix the issue.

Had the same issue with ROG Zenith Extreme boards in our lab. It would not boot with 8x 16GB sticks. However bios updates fixed the same.

So the ASUS guys called back. regular questions about what happened during troubleshooting etc... finally asked the serial number of mobo so that he could start the RMA. I was at work so I called them back again yesterday. He initially said I have to pay the shipping fee. I was not happy, but then after few hours he called again and told me that he is emailing me the fedex sticker. (I was actually thinking that I would return the board back to Newegg since I dont have to pay anything)

Now, I will send it back tomorrow and will have to wait for couple of weeks until they figure out the issue. I am guessing that they will issue a BIOS update. I don't see any other issue than BIOS code problem.

Will keep posted on what happens.

Another update... So the ASUS guys sent me a new motherboard. "Problem: CPU socket pin had skew" and "Action: SWAP, due to parts shortage." Now, I spend another few hours installing everything and boot up the system. same problem. start troubleshooting the ram again. this time the system is running fine with 7 banks.:rage::rage:

Sent a mailer to ASUS. lets see what happens.

Back