OC & Modding Bottom fan intake or exhaust ?

I am using a HAF 922 and just got a new 120mm fan for the bottom... unfortunately this case has no dust filter on the bottom.. is using it as an exhaust gonna get me worse temps ??

Well, a 120mm fan as intake would make sense, to provide additional cooling for the GPU et all. That said, it could do with a filter to prevent the dust from getting in.

Also, make sure you have enough clearance (base to base) for the case.

I have a bottom intake on my CM690 with the filter. Somehow this port always and always is the most dust clogged. Not sure why.

varunversion1 said:
I am using a HAF 922 and just got a new 120mm fan for the bottom... unfortunately this case has no dust filter on the bottom.. is using it as an exhaust gonna get me worse temps ??
Using that fan as exhaust is not really a good option, as Mod toxic as said, use it as an intake fan with proper filter. This will provide your case with better cooling and overall better circulation of air (warmer air will be thrown out of the huge top and rear exhaust fans).

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

asingh said:
I have a bottom intake on my CM690 with the filter. Somehow this port always and always is the most dust clogged. Not sure why.
Intake fans do have that problem, dont they ?

No filters as of now... but i have mounted it as an intake and already i can see a 3-4 degree drop in my GPU temps... Just cleaned the case out before installing... its not too hard to clean once in two weeks or so... will probably make a filter myself later :D ty ppl...

bottom is a perfect location for intake.

use filters.

air rises up as it gets hotter.

thus exhausts shall be positioned ideally at top and upper back positions.

having exhaust at bottom may just act as an easy path for the air entering from front intake hampering the air flow as the rest of the system may never get fresh/cool air in adequate quantity.

similar would be the case with top fans as intake fans.

just add some ghetto filters like stockings etc :p

I Have H922, believe me when i mounted intake fan for bottom,

1. I had to make sure that I have at least 6" of space below,

2. Had to make Sort of Stand, with Mesh

3. Even after that not that i am complaining, but the DUST.. (the 2nd most enemy); some how gets into my system as I had to Keep next to my computer table to accommodated (system table do not have that height clearance for H922 + 8" stand

4. Had to keep it next to the table but attracts dust some how..

Please let me know who is it done in your end.

eBRo

Well my system is on the table... i havent used any sort of stand or anything as there is a lil clearance from the case footpegs itself... @iyengar are u using filters on the bottom ?? i find the front filters easy to clean using a vacuum cleaner without having to remove them...

Yeah I have to use Blowers to dust off ..when i have have stand with mesh i am not using separate mesh for the Cabinet..anyway i have unmounted it...NO Fan for bottom as of now.

eBRo

Back