Bought a PS3. Few questions.

Finally after much deliberation on whether to go for a PC upgrade or a gaming console, bought a PS3 :clap: [250GB GOW edition with extended warranty from Croma]. While I am yet to open the package, few questions on the setup.

1. I have an Airtel Beetel Wifi Modem. How can I get the network connection to be shared with the PS3 and the PC?

2. The house is wired up with a UPS. Will this have an adverse impact on the PS3 during power failures?

3. Horizontal positioning or vertical?

4. Can any wireless keyboard mouse combo be used with PS3 [as of now]?

5. Recommend some good video setting in the PS3 and for the TV [Philips 32PFL5609] to get the best image.

6. How to use the PSP [2000 with 5.33 Firmware] effectively with the PS3?

7. Which is the best way for HD movie viewing from a WD My Book, media server or conversion of all HD videos to m2ts?

dinjo said:
7. Avatar

I think he asked something else.. and that is my question as well. I recently bought the same 250GB GOW edition..

and Late at night I was thinking did I just waste money in it. because I was mainly, OK not mainly but to some extent looking to watch movies and stuff.. and also play games on it.. but then i found out that wifi is no N. its b/g..

anyways, to answer the question. I did some digging and you can setup a PS3 media server with a small software.. easy to use. but you need to have an ethernet connection for that..so via ethernet its good to go.. but wifi.. only SD..

you would be able to stream HD movies on your PS3 from USB HDD. but.. PS3 only supports FAT32.. so any HDD that you connect to it.. can only hold max 4GB of file.. which means.. you can't watch.. full HD movies on it as they are around 7-8 GB minimum..

Link to PS3 Media Server

I need to do some cabling in the house now.. I was really thinking of going wifi and now this... anyways.. let me see how this can be worked upon.

any suggestion guys.. Can someone create a post (informative) which tells what to do and don't after one buys a PS3. I feel a need to it..

@ Desecrator, thanks for that guide and for your previous help :) One more question, somehow I'm not very comfortable getting ICS to work as it required installation of a second network card [right?] So a standard router connected to the Airtel DSL Wifi Modem should do the trick?

If u look up sources << ahem ahem >> you will find Full HD movies formatted to fit just inside that FAT32 limitation

I haven't really found one....All my FullHD movies are atleast 10GB+

You sure you getting 1080p @ about 4GB for a full length movie?

neoronin said:
So a standard router connected to the Airtel DSL Wifi Modem should do the trick?
Yes. :)

Although I do not know if the Airtel router has any other limitations otherwise. If there are none, you can connect to a router and you should be able to stream the data seamlessly. :D

Back