Laptops Bought Lenovo Y510p (GT755M), Graphics Card Doesn't Power Games

comp@ddict

Skilled
Bought a new Lenovo Y510p that comes with the NVIDIA GT755M GPU (single). However, the issue is that all games are running on the integrated Intel HD 4600 GPU, no matter what I do. Updated to latest drivers, running Windows 8.1 64-bit, set custom NVIDIA profiles for games to use GT755M, even switched primary physx processor to GT755M.

No matter what I do, the activity of the GT755M GPU remains at 0%, i.e. It isn't being utilized. That's the reason I was skeptical about shit like NVIDIA Optimus technology and other shenanigans.

I couldn't find a solution to this problem, and the week old laptop cost me 73k, but won't let me play any game at high settings (courtesy HD 4600 not stepping down). Could someone please post a working solution to this headache?

Go to AMD catalyst Control center > Power>Powerplay or Windows control Panel>Power settings and
change PLUGGED IN to maximum performance and BATTERY Maximum battery life . You would see your graphics card in use . As per windows Intel HD 4600 is capable of running whatever you are throwing it so this settings forces it to use Graphics card .
I have Y560p with GT 6570 1Gb graphics card
Disadvantage/Advantage as per your thinking - when on power graphics card always used .
@comp@comp@ddict

Sorry mate, dont know much about windows 8.

But my lenovo had a similar issue, and I opened the nvidia control panel, and messing with the options there helped me.

Thanks. This is totally unacceptable. I just wanted to see if anybody had a solution before calling up Lenovo Support. Sigh... 73k, and you expect them to get something right.

Bought a new Lenovo Y510p that comes with the NVIDIA GT755M GPU (single). However, the issue is that all games are running on the integrated Intel HD 4600 GPU, no matter what I do. Updated to latest drivers, running Windows 8.1 64-bit, set custom NVIDIA profiles for games to use GT755M, even switched primary physx processor to GT755M.

No matter what I do, the activity of the GT755M GPU remains at 0%, i.e. It isn't being utilized. That's the reason I was skeptical about shit like NVIDIA Optimus technology and other shenanigans.

I couldn't find a solution to this problem, and the week old laptop cost me 73k, but won't let me play any game at high settings (courtesy HD 4600 not stepping down). Could someone please post a working solution to this headache?

Nvidia Optimus tech doesn't apply to your laptop as it's not SLI.

With proper nvidia drivers installed, when you right click the game exe, you should have an option saying run with gpu. Just select the geforce GPU there.

To play games on the y510p, you always need to keep it plugged in, and charging. If you keep it on battery, it will always run on the Intel HD4600 as the battery is not good enough to run the nVidia 755m.

After a lot of research on the laptop, I found that out, and that's why I haven't bought the same laptop yet (it was on my shortlist for 2 months now).

Problem resolved.

-> Using 'High Performance' profile in Lenovo Energy Management software.
-> Updated to latest NVIDIA beta drivers.
-> Start Steam, choosing GT755M as the graphics accelerator.

This should help anyone else who faces this problem. Overall, a pretty simple solution.

Back