Budget 20-25K Bought used iPhone 8 64 GB Gold @ 22K

iyengar

Adept
Guys,

Not sure it was wise decision to buy iPhone 8 (second hand) purchased on 09/10/2017. Do you think I need to sell it fast or keep it for an year or two. Please advice. Do you need pics or bill copy to evaluate?

Regards - Ram

While i called up few "authorized" iphone repair shop..each of them quoted me different price and one said.. non of them, get original but from China. The lowest being 1.7K to maximum is 4.8K + tax.

In a interesting note: Just Visited Poorvika (mobile shop) and they can take back my mobile for 17K with all accessories included. I'm shocked about the price they quoted to me.:eek:

While i called up few "authorized" iphone repair shop..each of them quoted me different price and one said.. non of them, get original but from China. The lowest being 1.7K to maximum is 4.8K + tax.

In a interesting note: Just Visited Poorvika (mobile shop) and they can take back my mobile for 17K with all accessories included. I'm shocked about the price they quoted to me.:eek:
Don't sell for that price. It's a good deal you got. for 22k. Cellbuddy is selling same for 29k.

Which shops quoted how much are they like imagine or maple?
Btw Are you shocked that it is high or low?

Authorised Apple service will be only from the service partners listed here: https://locate.apple.com/in/en/

Everyone else will use aftermarket Chinese batteries are not made by Apple and will not carry the 6 months warranty. Its unlikely for an Apple authorised service partner to provide a quote on phone without checking your phone.

As far as the quote from Poorvika is concerned, whether it is good or bad will depend on what you plan to do with the 17k you get. If you will use it to just buy another iPhone (say the 11), I would say save the trouble and money, get a battery replacement for your 8 from Apple and upgrade when the next iPhone comes up next September. Looking at the renewed direction Apple has adopted for pricing the 11, I feel like they will launch the next one also at prices that will not require one to sell organs illegally!

Authorised Apple service will be only from the service partners listed here: https://locate.apple.com/in/en/

Everyone else will use aftermarket Chinese batteries are not made by Apple and will not carry the 6 months warranty. Its unlikely for an Apple authorised service partner to provide a quote on phone without checking your phone.

As far as the quote from Poorvika is concerned, whether it is good or bad will depend on what you plan to do with the 17k you get. If you will use it to just buy another iPhone (say the 11), I would say save the trouble and money, get a battery replacement for your 8 from Apple and upgrade when the next iPhone comes up next September. Looking at the renewed direction Apple has adopted for pricing the 11, I feel like they will launch the next one also at prices that will not require one to sell organs illegally!
your are freaking life saver bro.

1. I failed to to check the link you have shared now earlier. I just google "authorized iPhone repair center" and probably would have landed somewhere near my home
2. Example that I didn't even google properly and
3. the condition of the device is absolute pristine but for some usage marks on back..
4. no visible marks on front. Zero

You actually nailed it as I was hoping to exchange it for iPhone 11.. You read my mind bro?

1. I failed to to check the link you have shared now earlier. I just google "authorized iPhone repair center" and probably would have landed somewhere near my home
3. the condition of the device is absolute pristine but for some usage marks on back..

You actually nailed it as I was hoping to exchange it for iPhone 11.. You read my mind bro?
Buy iphone 5g only now. Waste of money if it's just a daily driver for you. iPhone 11 is ok but still iphone 8 will have same software for atleast 2 to 3 years ahead.

Wish I could read minds... Sadly I cant! :(

But ya, don't be desperate to change right away unless you have a specific need. Like in my case, photography on the go is becoming important so I will upgrade my 1.5 yrs old iPhone 7 to the 11 sometime next quarter when stocks are freely available online. Otherwise I would have stayed with my 7 for another 6 - 9 months easily.

Unless you have loads of money to throw, upgrading iPhones everytime a new one comes is not the best option. I can afford the 11 or 11 Pro but that does not mean I should immediately replace my X or XR or XS or for that matter any phone that is serving me fine for my current needs. Isn't that the whole point of having updates available for a couple of years.

Like if you were using the iPhone 6, I would have asked you to dump it and upgrade coz it doesn't get iOS 13. But the 8 can be easily used for another year (even more if you can maintain it in decent shape and are not a power user who has tons of apps and data on the phone).

Wish I could read minds... Sadly I cant! :(

But ya, don't be desperate to change right away unless you have a specific need. Like in my case, photography on the go is becoming important so I will upgrade my 1.5 yrs old iPhone 7 to the 11 sometime next quarter when stocks are freely available online. Otherwise I would have stayed with my 7 for another 6 - 9 months easily.

Unless you have loads of money to throw, upgrading iPhones everytime a new one comes is not the best option. I can afford the 11 or 11 Pro but that does not mean I should immediately replace my X or XR or XS or for that matter any phone that is serving me fine for my current needs. Isn't that the whole point of having updates available for a couple of years.

Like if you were using the iPhone 6, I would have asked you to dump it and upgrade coz it doesn't get iOS 13. But the 8 can be easily used for another year (even more if you can maintain it in decent shape and are not a power user who has tons of apps and data on the phone).

Once again, you turned out to be soothsayer. While I tried all tricks to get the charge for battery replacement. They simple declined to divulge any info on the cost. They maintain saying, the cost can only be defined once assessed by the service executive.

That would mean we would have to welcome unwarranted costs (consultation, item replacement cost, product cost and of course government taxes on battery especially)

Thank god I don't have to worry of battery disposal.

Regards - Ram

Once again, you turned out to be soothsayer. While I tried all tricks to get the charge for battery replacement. They simple declined to divulge any info on the cost. They maintain saying, the cost can only be defined once assessed by the service executive.

That would mean we would have to welcome unwarranted costs (consultation, item replacement cost, product cost and of course government taxes on battery especially)

Thank god I don't have to worry of battery disposal.

Regards - Ram

They dont charge for consultation - Only charge if you accept their quote and authorise the repair.

That phone will easily last you 2/3 years. iOS is good with supporting old hardware. The only thing you thing you may need to change is the battery if it is down. Even then I would suggest getting a battery replacement. My 6s battery costed me 3k though that may change for your phone.

That phone will easily last you 2/3 years. iOS is good with supporting old hardware. The only thing you thing you may need to change is the battery if it is down. Even then I would suggest getting a battery replacement. My 6s battery costed me 3k though that may change for your phone.

You changed your battery from official apple authorised store?

Relax @iyengar... When you scored 80% in a test, did your parents drive you out of the home and get another son? Lol! :p

Just use the phone till you feel like it doesn't get you enough battery life to pull through the day and once that happens, get the battery replced. Depending on your usage, it might be months before that happens! Look at my battery health below. It dropped from 91% couple of days ago to 90% - This is coz I used the phone very very extensively as I was traveling last couple of weeks. On the other hand, the drop of 100% to 91% had taken much over a year...

Screenshot.jpg

Back