Budget 20-25K Bought used iPhone 8 64 GB Gold @ 22K

iyengar

Adept
Guys,

Not sure it was wise decision to buy iPhone 8 (second hand) purchased on 09/10/2017. Do you think I need to sell it fast or keep it for an year or two. Please advice. Do you need pics or bill copy to evaluate?

Regards - Ram

Here is the update to the story.

I did visit Iplanet - Banashankari 3rd Stage (Premium Apple Store) and the quote without even looking at the device for battery replacement is Rs.4850(not sure tax part). "IF" you need consultation to understand if your device needs battery replacement or NOT, that would cost you Rs.200. But you replace if irrespective of advice, that cost is waived off.

On the other topic, if you want to enroll exchange program to have your device exchanged for newer version, you will be getting nearly 13K provided you have have original charger, cable, earphone, box and bill (mandatory).

It's a good thing, you guys advised me to keep the device for at least 2-3 years and just change battery after some time.

Here is the update to the story.

I did visit Iplanet - Banashankari 3rd Stage (Premium Apple Store) and the quote without even looking at the device for battery replacement is Rs.4850(not sure tax part). "IF" you need consultation to understand if your device needs battery replacement or NOT, that would cost you Rs.200. But you replace if irrespective of advice, that cost is waived off.

On the other topic, if you want to enroll exchange program to have your device exchanged for newer version, you will be getting nearly 13K provided you have have original charger, cable, earphone, box and bill (mandatory).

It's a good thing, you guys advised me to keep the device for at least 2-3 years and just change battery after some time.
You also in bangalore? Yeah i was also thinking to replace my battery now i am thinking of postpone it to sometime later.

I am still using the iPhone 7 I got over 1.5 years ago. I am not a power user and use phone only for calls, text, mails and whatsapp and the 7 with iOS 13 is perfectly fine for that usage. I will use it till Q1 next year and upgrade to the 11 as photography on the go is becoming important to me these days. You should try and use the 8 for 1 more year and try and upgrade to the iPhone 12 when it comes out.
An iphone 7 has a perfectly good camera. Why would you need better ?

In fact before the 7 i did not consider the regular iphone as good enough.

The later phones add more cameras and this decreases the sensor size as a downside. This is the case with most others as well.

What this means in plain english is Camera sensors ain't got any better since around 2015 so the phone manufacturers moved laterally. They added more cameras and then threw in this AI bollocks whose benefit i'm unable to fathom. Plain Jane looks more attractive with make up sort of thing is as far as i got.

I don't know when the next improvement in sensor tech will be. Maybe soon it will be close to 5 years and Sony has to have come up with something good. Whether its ready for prime time is the question.

Post automatically merged:

says 82%... End of days???? How long do you think i have time to have this disposed????
Lithium battery manufacturers usually rate a lithium battery that reaches 80% as EOL. But here is the thing, a lithium battery that has dropped to 80% of its original capacity degrades gracefully. It's capacity does not drop off a cliff like a lead acid battery would after it passed its EOL number.

It takes typically 500 cycles to get to 80% and possibly another 1000 to get to a point where it needs to be replaced when its at 40 to under 50% of its original capacity. Course how long this takes depends on you not doing deep discharges often or subjecting the battery to high temperatures, either of which will drop capacity sooner. I don't know how feasible this is considering ambient temperatures in India generally hover between 35 & 40 degrees C. Given you live in mile high city things might be better.

A good time to recharge is when the battery is 40 - 50 instead of 10 -20. Again your use case or pattern may dictate whether this is possible or not.

You could always get the battery replaced earlier if you find the capacity unsatisfactory.

How much would a battery replacement cost for your iphone ? any idea ?

Last edited:
An iphone 7 has a perfectly good camera. Why would you need better ?

In fact before the 7 i did not consider the regular iphone as good enough.

The later phones add more cameras and this decreases the sensor size as a downside. This is the case with most others as well.

Lithium battery manufacturers usually rate a lithium battery that reaches 80% as EOL. But here is the thing, a lithium battery that has dropped to 80% of its original capacity degrades gracefully. It's capacity does not drop off a cliff like a lead acid battery would after it passed its EOL number.

It takes typically 500 cycles to get to 80% and possibly another 1000 to get to a point where it needs to be replaced when its at 40 to under 50% of its original capacity. Course how long this takes depends on you not doing deep discharges often or subjecting the battery to high temperatures, either of which will drop capacity sooner. I don't know how feasible this is considering ambient temperatures in India generally hover between 35 & 40 degrees C. A good time to recharge is when the battery is 40 - 50 instead of 10 -20. Again your use case or pattern may dictate whether this is possible or not.

You could always get the battery replaced earlier if you find the capacity unsatisfactory.

How much would a battery replacement cost for your iphone ? any idea ?
Told you on the top post all iPhone models of 6,7 save 8 costs same. That is 4850 INR. Tax not sure

Not exactly end of days. But once it drops to 80% or less, iOS may throttle the device. I got my current phone with 95%+ battery. After 25 months of using it, it's at 82%. Degradation from 87/88 to 82 was quite slow.
Battery gauge is at best an approximation. More cosmetic than meaningful.

Instead I'd pay more attention to stand by time doing nothing, how much does it drop in a fixed time and run time under normal use.

When i get a new phone i benchmark it on these parameters for at least a week or two. Stock with nothing installed and this means no updates either just to get a reliable baseline. It just sits there and i do simple tests. This then becomes my reference to compare with in future tests.

A year later i will repeat the test and see how long it ran.

Told you on the top post all iPhone models of 6,7 save 8 costs same. That is 4850 INR. Tax not sure
Its expensive compared with others. At that price i'd insist on seeing the manufacture date before it was installed.

Anything up to two years should be good. Lithiums are typically charged midway at the factory and lose very little over time if left unconnected. The story changes when its in a phone that is unused and you will typically see Apple advising to recharge at least once every 6 months as even though the phone is off there is a still some draw as little as it may be,

That is provided they are stored in relatively cooler places. Meaning preferably under 35 degrees C. Any higher means a faster self-discharge and chance of the battery becoming flat and remaining that way on the shelf which is not good.

Authorised Apple service will be only from the service partners listed here: https://locate.apple.com/in/en/

Everyone else will use aftermarket Chinese batteries are not made by Apple and will not carry the 6 months warranty. Its unlikely for an Apple authorised service partner to provide a quote on phone without checking your phone.
Why is it necessary to examine the phone to do a mere battery replacement ?

I've bought batteries for my nearly 2 yr old LG off amazon made by LG for under a grand. What surprises me is the markup for iphone battereis. Labour does not cost as much in India. They are just charging a premium as usual.

I strongly doubt Apple makes batteries and for that matter Google given both have a bad battery record when comparing with others that do make their own batteries. ie samsung or LG. Quick charge is not advisable on these phones given the horror stories i've read with nexus models that incorporated quick charge.

Slow charge ala 5W is best with iphones or pixels/nexii

USB-C as in real USB-C as implemented by Intel works great on laptops. Which are large and have better active cooling than a passively cooled phone. Both Apple & Google decided they wanted to be standards compliant and went with this flavour of USB-C when the rest of the industry that actually makes their phones instead of contracting them out to 3rd parties baulked.

The result is fast charge on chinese or Korean phones is not an issue and to my surprise even with the screen on with some Chinese models.

But ya, don't be desperate to change right away unless you have a specific need. Like in my case, photography on the go is becoming important so I will upgrade my 1.5 yrs old iPhone 7 to the 11 sometime next quarter when stocks are freely available online. Otherwise I would have stayed with my 7 for another 6 - 9 months easily.
in what ways will the 11 give you photos the 7 cannot ? All these wide or tele lenses have smaller sensors than the primary which also became smaller to incorporate the extra cameras.

Admittedly I'm not familiar with what it is you want to photo

Last edited:
Everything Apple is expensive - I suppose Apple users know that and dont need a reminder!

And yes, night mode. But also I would like to try out the dual/triple camera setup to see if I can get better pics.

Back