breastfeeding in public

viktik

Disciple
I was going on a scooter to find LG tv in local stores.
one couple in motor bike passes me. I noticed two kids with the wife. I thought one more example of two babies in a short period of time.
Then I noticed the women was breastfeeding the baby and breast was clearly visible.
I thought when did people thinking became so liberated in this small town in not so developed state of Jharkhand.
I don't spend time talking to people much. But i know some people here who would be very much against this as they will call it indecent.
Maybe I spend too much time in front of computer
So what am I missing?
What are your thought on this?

I don't spend time talking to people much. But i know some people here who would be very much against this as they will call it indecent.

Then those people need to get their heads out of the gutter. Its a mother feeding a child.

Normally I dont comment in General talk section, but if a breastfeeding mother seems indecent to you, SHAME ON YOU.
Please read his post properly. He thinks some people might find it indecent, not himself.

Although I have to agree, that this doesn't deserve a thread.

I don't know why, but never seen people use the Off-Topic thread at TE which is usually where such posts go in other forums.
look ma, I caught a perv!

My first thought was for the safety & concern of the babies/kids - Going on a bike with two is risky as is, without even considering that one is being breastfed while moving! At least stop someplace, man!

As to the actual question, yes, it can be disconcerting (but not scandalous) for many (including myself). But just because it's disconcerting, does not automatically mean that they are perverted. (& it's not just men btw, .... I remember my female psychology professor mentioning it in class once, & saying she found it awkward). It's probably just that it's usually considered a private affair, & so this behavior sticks out. I'm not surprised that the OP is a bit befuddled.

While breastfeeding in India in public spaces is not uncommon, usually it is covered up by the pallu. (I presume it's more prevalent in rural India, because in Mumbai, I've only seen the dehaati women do it). On the few occasions that I've come across this, people around seem to behave pretty normally. No one is shocked, or scandalized. So while I wouldn't call society liberal, I would say that this gets a different status, & thus elicits a different response. (I imagine if the breast/s were in plain sight, people around would ask for them to be at least covered up/hidden from view).

PS: I'm just generalizing. I've only stayed in Mumbai all my life. So I may be way off the mark here.

PS#2: Globally, developed nations are campaigning to encourage women to breastfeed in public. Many mothers there are self-conscious about doing so. So it seems that, at least in this respect, we are more liberal than the West.

Surprising that it took so many posts before someone remarked about the breastfeeding while riding a bike and that too with another toddler to contend with and I'm guessing sitting side saddle as well. I bet she would have pulled out her phone and started texting and taking selfies while hubby does a wheelie. With no hands.

But i know some people here who would be very much against this as they will call it indecent.
Those people who are "against it" can shove their opinions up their backside cause no body gives a Fcuk about such retards. There's always some idiot who finds random natural things indecent and will be "against it". If you find someone like that, do everyone a favour and kick them in the balls, so that they dont reproduce any more idiots like them.

Like wtf is up with being against shit. You dont like it you cover your boobs. Or if you don't have them then go and get them and then cover it. What the hell is up with telling people what to do or not with their clothes or body.

*deep breath*
*inner peace*
*inner peace*
*inner peace*

Last edited:
I was going on a scooter to find LG tv in local stores.
one couple in motor bike passes me. I noticed two kids with the wife. I thought one more example of two babies in a short period of time.
Then I noticed the women was breastfeeding the baby and breast was clearly visible.
I thought when did people thinking became so liberated in this small town in not so developed state of Jharkhand.
Maybe I spend too much time in front of computer
So what am I missing?
What are your thought on this?

^^ People will talk... They will talk about Kejriwal, Modi, NASA, Breastfeeding etc. etc. It's all crap! In the end the mother was feeding her hungry baby. People should get a life!

Normally I dont comment in General talk section, but if a breastfeeding mother seems indecent to you, SHAME ON YOU.

^^ Normally I don't comment on comments that don't concern me but if you feel the urge to attack a person without reading what he has posted, DOUBLE SHAME ON YOU!

look ma, I caught a perv!

^^ Nice! Real mature! #sarcasm

Surprising that it took so many posts before someone remarked about the breastfeeding while riding a bike and that too with another toddler to contend with and I'm guessing sitting side saddle as well. I bet she would have pulled out her phone and started texting and taking selfies while hubby does a wheelie. With no hands.

^^ The child is hungry... You think a mother cares about the hazards of breastfeeding while riding pillion? If anyone is to blame, it's the rider. He should have had enough brain to stop somewhere while the mother was nursing her child.

As for 4 people traveling on a bike, its India! We are a poor country! That's what some people can afford. No point judging them on that!

Rather than decency, safety (of the kids) should have been the concern of the OP.
Breastfeeding on moving scooter pillion seat seems quite dangerous stunt IMO.

Back