Broadband Services Competition - Social Experiment

puns

Staff member
Super Mod
So I wanted to try a social experiment and see what does comeptition lead companies to do to retain or gain new customers. Some might not think its ethical but it would be interesting to see the outcomes.

So I am on Airtel V fibre 24 mbps plan - Rs 899 and 158 GB monthly. I called them after I saw hathway & jio advertising in my area. I asked Airtel since theese companies are giving me better plans , speed and data wise, what are they willing to do to keep me ?
Results of the call:

1. Rs. 100 reduced per month for 12 months
2. 30 GB extra per month which can top up every month unlimited as long as I have connection
3. 1000 GB extra data for 12 months

So they do have some extras to offer. I straight up said I am happy to be on this plan only if they can give me more data per month but all they could do is 30 GB per month and some extra

Would other members here be interested to see what their ISP is willing to give them ?

Last edited:
Airtel is good in this regard.

I have a 500GB (+40)/100Mbps plan and it usually finishes a few days before the end of the cycle; after which I give to call to airtel CC, b**ch about their shitty FUP compared to ACT, etc and they usually give my a 200GB booster. If they dont then just escalate or ask for disconnection and then their retention team can provide the 1000GB/12 Month BigBytes thing again.

Edit : The 200GB Booster is saving me most months from the 1mbps post FUP speed
IMG_891875C1EF30-1.jpeg

Last edited:
So basically we can do this every 12 months, get 1000 GB extra at no cost. Not a bad deal.
Wonder how its with other ISPs

AFAIK, Airtel here in Hyderabad doesn't offer any such discount even for retention. They say all you got is best in the market.

Coming to the one which i use, ACT - they give us 2+1 on low end plans and 5+1.5 sometimes when we ask for disconnection due to competition.

About more than a year ago I was using MTNL and wanted to shift to Airtel because....well, MTNL..

I soon found out that Airtel was offering some great plans in a nearby locality and I called Airtel that I wanted the same plans. Guess what their reply was? They pretty much said we're the dominant player in your locality, so we have no reason to offer you a better plan. Needless to say, I did not get Airtel, I instead waited a bit before Siti Cable arrived and now I am using ACT.

You're pretty much on point about how competition drives the industry, pretty much like any other sector.

About more than a year ago I was using MTNL and wanted to shift to Airtel because....well, MTNL..

I soon found out that Airtel was offering some great plans in a nearby locality and I called Airtel that I wanted the same plans. Guess what their reply was? They pretty much said we're the dominant player in your locality, so we have no reason to offer you a better plan. Needless to say, I did not get Airtel, I instead waited a bit before Siti Cable arrived and now I am using ACT.

You're pretty much on point about how competition drives the industry, pretty much like any other sector.

Exact same thing in my area. Barring MTNL's fibre - but next to no marketing - Hathway have a monopoly & they haven't dropped rates for the 2nd year in a row. I had to seriously push them on the plan to get a better plan than last year

It will be interesting to see once 5G comes in 2020 and we see mobile data speeds competing with landline / fibre. So called smaller broadband companies will have a tough time fighting the big giants who will dominate mobile & fibre market.

Back