BSNL Broadband survey

dsarosh

Adept
Hi agian,
I'd just like to have a quick survey of the bsnl users about what kind of plans they have opted for.
I was of the opinion that the 900UL plan would be the most popular one, but I guess I was mistaken.
It would be nice if all the bsnl users on the forum here stated which plan they were on.

I had been in touch with bsnl customer care for the past 2 weeks, they have promised that they will make the UL and DL speed for UL plan the same, that is 256kbps ul and 256kbps dl.
So far I have not seen any changes, but lets wait and see.

BSNL guys do things very very lately lol..

i had received broadband connection in my home after 3 months of struggling :p

UL900 is ADSL, and on ADSL the upload speeds would be lesser than the download. I guess you will have to take a corporate connection for a connection with same upload speed.

^ AFAIK , the max possible UL speeds are lower than the Max DL speeds, but both could be capped at lower levels....so they can be equal at 256kbps .

About the broadband survey...it'd be better to add a poll with the plans....since most such threads get too bulky to be useful statistically (if they get enough responses, that is.)

booo said:
UL900 is ADSL, and on ADSL the upload speeds would be lesser than the download. I guess you will have to take a corporate connection for a connection with same upload speed.

what about TATA then??? :bleh: they give SAME dl/ul speeds

Please do add a poll, it will be very useful.
I can show you guys the email I received from the bsnl people.
They said the instructions are already issued and they expect all UL 256plan users to have same UL and DL speeds (256kbps) within a week.
It may take a month, but I dont think the top boss would lie.
He told me with the current adsl technology they cant go beyond 786kbps.
Sir,
You may like to see this mail for comments if any.
With kind regards,
Yours sincerely,
AKGill
ADG(C-I)
CMD Sectt
Dear Sir
kindly refer to your email to CMD BSNL on the above subject. In this context, the following is brought to your notice:
1. The uploading speed in all the limited plans is maximum 768 Kbps as the same is limited by ADSL modem (Asymmetric). The uploading speed can not go beyond this due to technical constraints.
2. Regarding the unlimited plans, in the initial project 2.2, the uploading limit has been restricted to 1:4 i.e. 1/4 th of the downloading speed which comes to 64 Kbps for Plan 900. In the latest rollout in Multiplay, the uploading speed is 256 Kbps along with the downloading limit.
3. I have instructed Broadband Cell to increase the uploading speed to 256 Kbps in the earlier rollouts and the same is likely to be done in the next few days.
Regards
S K Seth
DDG (Commercial)
BSNL CO

I was really impressed and pleased that bsnl will give all thier UL plan users upload speed of 256kbps because I explained to them that the current upload speed of 10kbps they offer is.. well ... totally unusable.

Lets see if they really deliver.

UL and DL speeds are same for all new connections. At least that is the case in tirupati and ponidcherry. I don't think they are too clear on removing the cap. on existing connections or don't want to bother. That's all.

Been getting same speeds for the past 6 months :D

Also, I seem to get more ul than dl typically. Damn you leechers :p

BSNL dont go for it i have the connection and it truly suks priety zinta doesnt know who she is endorsing arrogant service and slow internet connection unhumane dling hous 0200-0800 only my watchman will make full use of it go for airtel 512kbps ul plan they rock

well for ppl who dont have anyother choice.. BSNL net aint that bad at all.. i mean.. i get constant DL speed throughout.. upload speed is a problem.. but since i do most of dnls through public trackers.. and ues very few privet ones.. uploading to them isnt that hard. it does take months to reach the proper share ratio.. but until they bother.. i guess things will stay the way they are..

sadly therse nothing we can do bout it here.. no other internet service is available at all. :(

I agree with red scorpio.
Ive got very good service from bsnl since the start, always got 31.5 32kbps download speeds, and very good reliability where I am.

I raised this issue about the slow upload speeds with bsnl. I made them realize that when we pay 900Rs we should atleast expect an upload speed of 256kbps, and upload speed of 10KBps is simply too small.

They have promised to make the upload speed of all UL plan users the same as download speeds, lets hope they implement it soon.

broar94 said:
what about TATA then??? :bleh: they give SAME dl/ul speeds

Hello Old friend,
I have a friend who works with tata customer care. I asked him to bring over the tata usb modem (not sure what its called).

So we connected the tata usb modem to the usb port on my computer.
1) The speeds were slower than dial up
2) The software that came with it detected as a virus in AVG free.
3) The software dialer that I downloaded from the website too detected as a virus.
4) They offer some feature, "speed" somthign which is supposed to increase speeds, but this was just aweful.
Maybe companies like tata and reliance focus their attention on big cities, but for people like us, bsnl is the best.

Besides, the phone bills we pay bsnl are being used to spread telephones and internet into the remotest villages of india.
The phone bills you guys pay tata will probably go into buying and plasma display for the CEO or just another foreign holiday for some top boss.

So I'm with bsnl all the way.

dsarosh said:
I raised this issue about the slow upload speeds with bsnl. I made them realize that when we pay 900Rs we should atleast expect an upload speed of 256kbps, and upload speed of 10KBps is simply too small.

Firstly, its not an issue. The whole concept of ADSL is such that you get assymetric speeds for up/down links. Since home users download more than what they would upload (since they dont run a server), assymetric speeds are set higher for downloads than for uploads and this ratio of 1:4 is not really pathetic . This is what most ISPs with DSL connections around the world offer (Although they usually have 2 Mb + download and 512 Kb + upload plans. Even with the 1:4 ratio they are still better off with higher upload speeds)

If you want to maintain your account on pvt trackers, spend 4 times the time for uploading than for downloading

I have been a user of BSNL broadband close to 3 years now and i would say they are one of the best ISPs around in terms of speed and service (not CC service)

dsarosh said:
I have a friend who works with tata customer care. I asked him to bring over the tata usb modem (not sure what its called).

So we connected the tata usb modem to the usb port on my computer.
1) The speeds were slower than dial up
2) The software that came with it detected as a virus in AVG free.
3) The software dialer that I downloaded from the website too detected as a virus.
4) They offer some feature, "speed" somthign which is supposed to increase speeds, but this was just aweful.

did you just connect your bsnl cable to the modem? :rofl: :rofl: ain't that fair :lol:

broar94 said:
did you just connect your bsnl cable to the modem? :rofl: :rofl: ain't that fair :lol:

Sorry, what? I use the lan port for my bsnl modem, and the tata modem was really just like a usb stick.

Anyway, finally some good news. After about 20 emails and my emails being forwarded to differnet departments of bsnl in delhi and goa, finally today am experiencing an uplaod speed of 27.5kbps. This is so much more useful than an upload speed of 10kbps I would get earlier.

Im glad I finally got bsnl to fix this, I dont think they would have if I would not be on their back for about a whole month.

Anyway, now with a Unlimited broadband of 256kbps UL and 256bps DL for 900Rs a month, that is all I need and I wont need to even consider any other options.

Thanks for all that are participating, although I am still curious to know which of the bsnl's plans are the most popular. I still guess their 900UL plan is the most popular.

Thanks to all.

cyrux said:
Firstly, its not an issue. The whole concept of ADSL is such that you get assymetric speeds for up/down links. Since home users download more than what they would upload (since they dont run a server), assymetric speeds are set higher for downloads than for uploads and this ratio of 1:4 is not really pathetic . This is what most ISPs with DSL connections around the world offer (Although they usually have 2 Mb + download and 512 Kb + upload plans. Even with the 1:4 ratio they are still better off with higher upload speeds)

If you want to maintain your account on pvt trackers, spend 4 times the time for uploading than for downloading

I have been a user of BSNL broadband close to 3 years now and i would say they are one of the best ISPs around in terms of speed and service (not CC service)

Yea definitely bsnl are the best. I too was using my conneciton with a UL speed of about 10kbps. But for the last 6-7 months Ive been getting lot of work which requies lot of uploading. I've been steadily refusing cliets who demand high uploads. I coulnt bear this any more, and sent a lenghty email to bsnl and explain to them that for many people upload is as important, and infact in my case upload is much more important than download. I even agreeded to take a connection with 256kbps upload and 64kbps download speeds.

I am realy glad bsnl have implemented this change, from today onwards I have been getting about 27kbps upload speeds, earlier I would get 8-10kbps.

Bsnl are doing a very good job, I wish them luck.

Muna bhai, try to visualize a simple concept...

1) BSNL is connected to the lan port on the back side of my computer
2) TATA usb modem is inserted into one of the 4 usb ports of my computer.

I even totally disconnected the bsnl modem and removed its connection from control panel.

Please tell me what exactly you are confused about (as usual) lol:)

Back