BSNL Fiber router query

Do ensure your friend's ethernet port is also a gigabit port, else it's no use since the speed will also be bottlenecked by his 10/100 port and show near to 100 mbps speeds.
This user here also had similar issue with 1 gig line speed and it was ultimately his 10/100 lan port on laptop which gave him only 100 mbps on 1 gig line.
Yeah. Realized this today while reading around that the laptop's ethernet port can also be a bottleneck. And I've been a fool.. I have the surface pro dock which comes with a gigabit ethernet port. :facepalm: Will check the speeds using it and see what I get.
Now that you have already ordered C6, and you know which port on Netlink is a giga port, it would be advisable to use C6 as a bridge and connect gig port on netlink to wan port on C6. Your wifi will give you more speeds(assuming your laptop has dual band wifi adapter)than through lan cable.
I have put my optilink basic device which has single gigabit port and no WiFi, put it in bridge mode and was using a dual band netgear r8000 wifi-AC router and recently bought a used netgear Orbi mesh router from @superczar for better range and speed.
Thanks. I'll do that when I get the router later this week (hopefully.. no idea about Amazon delivery in this lockdown time).

Update: Tried with the Surface pro dock just now, a Cat 5e cable connecting it to the Lan 2 port on the ONT. I am getting speeds between 90 Mbps and 120 Mbps consistently. The upload speeds are in the 200 to 240 Mbps range. So, download speeds are still underwhelming. Anything else I can do before contacting the LCO?

Last edited:
Yeah. Realized this today while reading around that the laptop's ethernet port can also be a bottleneck. And I've been a fool.. I have the surface pro dock which comes with a gigabit ethernet port. :facepalm: Will check the speeds using it and see what I get.

Thanks. I'll do that when I get the router later this week (hopefully.. no idea about Amazon delivery in this lockdown time).

Update: Tried with the Surface pro dock just now, a Cat 5e cable connecting it to the Lan 2 port on the ONT. I am getting speeds between 90 Mbps and 120 Mbps consistently. The upload speeds are in the 200 to 240 Mbps range. So, download speeds are still underwhelming. Anything else I can do before contacting the LCO?
give it a try

@logistopath yeah you should get 200+ mbps on speedtest over LAN cable, just check your computer and netlink device both support gigabit port speeds and the ethernet cable is at least Cat 5e rated which should be printed on the cable itself.

If you check your ethernet properties in the OS it should show link speed as 1 gigabit or 1000 mbits.

Another thing to check is the port configuration in the netlink web UI is also set to 1000 mbits or 1 gigabit, my optilink device has that option.

But since you mentioned most or all your devices are on wifi you should invest in a decent affordable dual band dedicated router like tplink that others recommend.

Btw yeah I have 300 mbps plan and I get 300 to 330 mbps on speedtest and few downloads and torrents but many other sites I get less than half the speed, so 200 mbps plan is ideal sweet spot for price to speed ratio.

I have put my optilink basic device which has single gigabit port and no WiFi, put it in bridge mode and was using a dual band netgear r8000 wifi-AC router and recently bought a used netgear Orbi mesh router from @superczar for better range and speed.
+1
The 98mbps seems like a clear indication that the connection is saturating a 100mbps port.

A 200mbps connection should be expected to yield well more than 100 otherwise.

as for the suggestions on Wifi6, a reasonably priced WiFi AC setup will comfortably yield 500mbps + link speeds.
current gen WiFi 6 will yield benefits largely for very high density requirements.

Consumer level equipment will see gains arising only after 6ghz is out..and even there the gains would be limited/questionable as 10 or even 2.5 gbps Lan doesn't seem to be showing any signs of becoming common any time soon

Edit: just noticed your uploads are 100+
Seems likely the problem is upstream then

@logistopath I am sensing over-allotment of bandwidth by your LCO which leads do low speeds due to less availability of bandwidth. But you need to test your net for the entire day or two to get a pattern of the speeds.
1. If you get near to promised speeds during late nights, early morning(less users so more bandwidth available).
2. If you get very less than promised speeds during day time(more users so bandwidth chocked) then it is a clear case of your LCO over-alloted his bandwidth to gain more customers.
Now there are two options and you will be the best person to know this.
If you are in good terms with LCO, then ask him to do the needful. If he's dragging his feet, then need to escalate with GM of your nearby exchange. Also make use of twitter handle to get their attention(although I don't know how much seriously they take complaints on twitter).
Either ways, your best bet is LCO since even if you complain at higher levels it will still come to him.
If the issue prolongs, then it would be better to start hunting for other ISP's like Airtel, Jio.

Regarding your arrival of router, it will come. Depends how tight the lockdown is in your area. If the state govt is allowing e-com sites to deliver items then it will be delivered. Same thing happened with me, ordered masks, was told 8-day delivery, it took 6 days to deliver.

Done already, and updated it in the previous post. Upload speeds are not an issue. Download speeds are still between 90 and 12 Mbps.
i meant try getting in touch with LCO and see if you get some improvement .Your download speed would be dependent on the utilization on your area and other users and the capacity etc at BSNL ,if it doesn't improve than i recommend to scale down your plan to 100 mbps

@Tejas01 Yeah.. I'll observe the speeds throughout the day for a co ple of days. I can talk to the LCO, so I'll approach him first.
The router order, along with a couple of other orders, got cancelled. :( I will have to wait for a couple of weeks until lockdown norms are relaxed in TN.
i meant try getting in touch with LCO and see if you get some improvement .Your download speed would be dependent on the utilization on your area and other users and the capacity etc at BSNL ,if it doesn't improve than i recommend to scale down your plan to 100 mbps
Yup. Will do.
Edit: just noticed your uploads are 100+
Seems likely the problem is upstream then
Looks like it. Will contact the LCO and see if they can resolve this issue.

Can someone with a Jio connection please send me a close up picture of this white cable? What is it called?
Jio cable Untitled.png

Fiber ,the specs should be written on cable itself
Is the quality the same for all Jio fiber? That image is not mine btw. I got it from youtube lol.
Is the cable cylindrical or flat?
I'll hopefully get Jio next week so I want to be as sure as I can be about everything.
Youtube video with timestamp.

Is the quality the same for all Jio fiber? That image is not mine btw. I got it from youtube lol.
Is the cable cylindrical or flat?
I'll hopefully get Jio next week so I want to be as sure as I can be about everything.
Youtube video with timestamp.
dont get paranoid , the beauty of fibers is that once they are ****ed they dont work :p

dont get paranoid , the beauty of fibers is that once they are ****ed they dont work :p
Dude that's exactly what scares me. But I thought that maybe if its fully cylindrical then it would have better quality or at least last a bit longer than flat one. The flat ones basically look like standard telephone lines.
I watched that youtube video and it shows that the cable is cylindrical from the post but I don't know from what part but latter length seems to be flat. So I wanted someone to confirm it.
Is Jio/Airtel still actively reinforcing their FUPs? Last I checked it was about 3000GB for both Airtel and Jio.

Why are you getting Jio? Are there any unlimited providers where you are?
No Airtel Xstream in my area. I did heard some rumors that it's already here but nothing officially concrete. And I don't even want to bring up BSNL. Jio best for now.

Dude that's exactly what scares me. But I thought that maybe if its fully cylindrical then it would have better quality or at least last a bit longer than flat one. The flat ones basically look like standard telephone lines.
I watched that youtube video and it shows that the cable is cylindrical from the post but I don't know from what part but latter length seems to be flat. So I wanted someone to confirm it.

No Airtel Xstream in my area. I did heard some rumors that it's already here but nothing officially concrete. And I don't even want to bring up BSNL. Jio best for now.

I'm not sure I understand your concern, what are you worried about? That the fiber will stop working? The providers usually take care of that but of course you will have some down time while they replace/repair it. Where are you located? Because if you are concerned about that, maybe the support isn't great where you are?

Yeah Jio would be preferable to BSNL. I've been running Airtel for a while and am mostly happy with them. Jio had offered to set up in my house for a free trial but didn't continue with it after the trial. Is there anyone else there apart from BSNL and Jio?

those are proper cables no worries ,normal local internet wallas also use them from one building to other fiber drop cabl;es maybe two cores one for RX and one for TX the cost of cable increases with the amount of armor the cable has do not ,at least it survived the 100-110kph speeds of taukte in mumbai ,Main concern is that it should have be laid properly it should have right amount of SAG and extra cable at both the end for adjustments

you need to get your cabling perfect , no back and forth, normal joe doesn't have splicing machine and OPM ,even ask for a BERT test report for the the line if possible that is from main peti on road to the router end speed should be 1 gig without any bit error.

And the light that would come through fiber can be check through your smart phone camera as well ... and i think modern day modems would definitely be showing LOS etc ,if you think that your house as proper concealed wiring and has the space in the duct where in you could pull the black cable that would be great option entry point could be through the house meter if you have have your own house duplex etc

Last edited:
Back