Bsnl Iptv

fractal

Disciple
Last week I had BSNL IPTV setup at my place. The setup cost is Rs 600. Monthly charges will be Rs 250 per month including set top box rental but are currently waived as all the channels are not yet active. There are some 70 channels now which is supposed to go up to 150 channnels.

The bandwidth was upgraded to 6MBPS. This is however on a separate channel and will have no effect on your existing broadband speeds or usage which will continue as per your existing plans.

The quality of broadcast is OK. There is a small lag when you change channels.

My modem has only 1 ethernet port. I still need to get my router to work with IPTV. My router is probably dropping IGMP packets (protocol used by IPTV). Need to play around with the settings. If your modem has more than one port or is a modem cum router then there will be no issues. However I have disabled WAN access in the router with everything plugged into the LAN ports and I have IPTV working.

Some of the channels are not encrypted and you can watch them using VLC player (File -> Open network stream) directly on your PC without a set top box. This is cool.

Well that's good news.....

The first thing I thought: it'd be great to tap into that bandwidth for *ahem* purposes :devil2: :devil2: ....but then as you mentioned it probably uses IGMP (guessing) instead of http......is it still (A) possible? and (B)if possible, would it be Leagal ?

I ask the question about the legality because we're paying for the bandwidth anyway , so shouldn't we be allowed to use it the way we see fit ?

I ran speedtests a number of times last few days and have seen no difference in broadband speed irrespective of whether IPTV is active or not.

deepak3775 said:
pls post channels.do u get star world and other english entertainment and english movie channels.

I dont have the list of channels in bangalore but ATM its mainly free to air channels - DD in all languages, News channels. I saw a few premium channels like Star Movies and National Geo.

Back