BSNL to soon increase minimum post FUP broadband speed to 1Mbps

Laying a milestone in Indian broadband landscape, countries largest broadband provider BSNL will soon increase the minimum broadband speed from existing 512Kbps to 1Mbps across all its unlimited plans. The new tariff will come into effect from August 1st, 2016 on PAN India basis cites a source.

BSNL users can now enjoy unlimited broadband at 1Mbps even after crossing their FUP limit. The revision is applicable for all existing as well as new subscribers of PAN India, Circle/SSA-specific and FTTH unlimited broadband plans with post FUP speed 512kbps.

BSNL has also announced the withdrawal of broadband plans BBG Combo ULD 3500, BBG Combo ULD 6300, Fibro Home ULD 850 CS1 and Fibro Home ULD 1400 CS2. However, existing subscriber can continue using this plan or migrate to other plans.

This is a welcome move from BSNL, which has been long awaited. If you remember, National Telecom Policy 2012 set the minimum speed of broadband service to 512Kbps from then existing 256kbps. This forced all ISP across the country to offer minimum 512Kbps broadband speed. The policy also proposed to increase the minimum speed to 2Mbps by 2015 which is yet to be implemented.

BSNL has taken the first step closer to achieving this target which would also force private players in the country to follow the same. Only a few days back, BSNL revised its minimum FUP limit to 2GB from existing 1GB and also increased FUP limit for most unlimited plans. With the latest revisions, BSNL broadband offering is more affordable and gained the competitive edge over its rivals.

Source

Four years to 'revise' the speeds, and can only think in terms of going to the next possible speed limit? :drowning:

Last edited:
No worthwhile advances can be made in the Indian broadband scene until this retarded mobile Internet fad dies down.
Mobile Internet is good and well, but this mad rush on the part of all telecom providers to deliver the highest mobile data speeds (particularly when their data plans suck rendering the entire exercise moot) is diverting resources away from fixed broadband infrastructure.

They need to make 3mbps unlimited the baseline at ~700/- per month.
They need to educate themselves on the terms 'Packet Loss'. 5% loss is not ok ffs, simply having the ability to load Google.com does not constitute a functioning ISP.

These aren't even unrealistic goals to have.
3mbps is nothing and ideally it needs to be 5mbps, but I am making huge concessions on the fact that this is India and babus gotta have their pockets filled.

I have a feeling things are being rigged so that Reliance Jio can take over a huge part of the market. BSNL should ideally have done this 2 yrs ago. And by now we should have atleast 10mbps for 10$ aka 700rs. I personally dont mind BSNL dying, sooner the better, but JIO has shown some very advanced tracking and limiting tech. Reliance has stakes in entertainment and they have been at the forefront of the blocking spree. Would suck to be on a heavily censored internet.

Btw, Jio will suck for online gaming, Skype or any kind of real time streaming.

Packet loss is an Unavoidable facet of wireless internet and it kills any kind of realtime dynamic content.

Ofcourse Youtube and Netflix will work flawlessly after 1 second of buffering which will keep the masses happy.

But for the gamers and skypers, even 2% packet loss hits like a ton of bricks.

Btw, Jio will suck for online gaming, Skype or any kind of real time streaming.

Packet loss is an Unavoidable facet of wireless internet and it kills any kind of realtime dynamic content.

Ofcourse Youtube and Netflix will work flawlessly after 1 second of buffering which will keep the masses happy.

But for the gamers and skypers, even 2% packet loss hits like a ton of bricks.
will that reliance jio wired line for home also have skype issues ? i think they planning to get those fiber lines by 2017.

I USE BSNL unlimited
This move will help a lot because in my home this internet is shared with 6 devices.
I think this is a move to retain customers because reliance jio is being launched.
last month extensive repair were done so that internet connection remains good. And it is in good condition till now.
In one gathering i heard BSNL employees were afraid that BSNL will close down or they will not get pension.

i am more interested in Jio fiber internet. if it is made availabe at around Rs 1000 then i will get it and will be extremely helpful.[DOUBLEPOST=1469867225][/DOUBLEPOST]
will that reliance jio wired line for home also have skype issues ? i think they planning to get those fiber lines by 2017.

4G LTE Was designed to be low latency network. It should be as good as wired network. but don't know what's happening in real world.
The fiber network will definitely be a low latency network. You don't need to be worry about it.[DOUBLEPOST=1469868587][/DOUBLEPOST]what i don't understand is BSNL is offering to provide core bandwidth to other ISPs
http://www.bbnl.nic.in/WriteReadData/LINKS/NOFN_TSPc6b52031-facd-4ed7-aed8-a0ace6570291.pdf

If they have so much bandwidth available then why don't they provide it to their customers at low price.

Last edited:
If they have so much bandwidth available then why don't they provide it to their customers at low price.

Only viable explanation is that the cartel led by failtel has got enough moles/bribes in BSNL, that logic has been getting slaughtered for more than a decade.

last month extensive repair were done so that internet connection remains good. And it is in good condition till now.

You should have mentioned region as well with that bit of info. Would have been helpful to markout the context.

4G LTE Was designed to be low latency network. It should be as good as wired network. but don't know what's happening in real world.
The fiber network will definitely be a low latency network. You don't need to be worry about it.

Latency and bandwidth have nothing to do with packet loss.
Nearly all ISPs in India are able to provide decent latencies and the advertised download speeds.

But for games and skype, you also need 0% packet loss, maximum 1%. Anything over 0-1% is a sign of a bad network.

Consider a road; if latency is the length of the road and bandwidth the width, then packet loss is how many potholes are there in it.
And this being India, our roads are 50% potholes.

We don't know just how good Jio wireless or fibre will be for gaming and skyping.
But we do know they will try to penny pinch on the number of towers and then load more users per tower than what's considered optimal.

So it will be fantastic early on (true for all ISPs), but overtime the congestion effects will start to pile on.

It's worth mentioning that Indian ISPs consider 2-8% loss more than acceptable.
"Only 5 packets dropped from 100 sir." I feel like putting my fist through their faces :mad:.

I am on UL675(Rs.781) combo from BSNL that is 512Kbps/60KBps no FUP for the last 6 years,
however since February 2016 i am getting 2Mbps/220KBps no FUP.
West Bengal, Purulia.

I am on UL675(Rs.781) combo from BSNL that is 512Kbps/60KBps no FUP for the last 6 years,
however since February 2016 i am getting 2Mbps/220KBps no FUP.
West Bengal, Purulia.

I think BSNl has not configured your connection properly. that's why you are getting that much speed.

BSNL has upgraded.
for now i am getting 2 Mbps (actually 1.8 Mbps ). ADSL2+ connection does not support that much speed.

also SMS that i received says 2 Mbps. But the message they sent is not clear what they meant.

Hopefully they have upgraded to 2 Mbps unlimited.

BSNL has upgraded. for now i am getting 2 Mbps (actually 1.8 Mbps ). ADSL2+ connection does not support that much speed.
also SMS that i received says 2 Mbps. But the message they sent is not clear what they meant.
Hopefully they have upgraded to 2 Mbps unlimited.

Again a post without mentioning the region.
Again a post without some other relevant details like what the sms exactly said.

Such details are going to benefit the others as this is a public forum.

Congrats anyway.

Back