BSOD

technofast

Huh?
Adept
I am getting BSOD error in my desktop system for the past couple of days and the frequency has now increased so much that I have kept that system aside. I have also done all basic preliminary checks but could not identify the problem. To see if the RAM is at fault checked using memtest on each individual RAM and it came out clean. Removed the GPU and tested and still got the BSOD. Checked the Harddisk for bad sector through HDtune and it came out clean. As a last resort formatted the hardisk and tried to do a clean install and while installing itself the BSOD error came-up and even after trying to install again and again, got the BSOD and was not able to install the OS at all. The following are some of the error I got

IRQC not less or equal
System service exception
Driver overran stock buffer
Kmode exception not handled
Unexpected kernal mode trap

I had received several other errors also but listing out some of them.

Any help to resolve this?

Hi technofast,
These errors "IRQL not less or equal" & "Driver overran stock buffer" indicate that there is a memory access problem within the device driver. It generally happens due to

1.Faulty ram.
2.Corrupt device driver.
3.Unstable or failing hardware.

As you have tested everything possible, RAM,GPU,HDD that leaves the N/W card as a possible culprit, If you don't mind me asking, at what stage of OS install did it crash? I would like to know what step, network or disk partitioning or etc to narrow down the list. See if you can disable the network hardware or sound card anything that is non essential in the bios and retry the Windows installation.

Regards,
BLife

Hi technofast,
These errors "IRQL not less or equal" & "Driver overran stock buffer" indicate that there is a memory access problem within the device driver. It generally happens due to

1.Faulty ram.
2.Corrupt device driver.
3.Unstable or failing hardware.

As you have tested everything possible, RAM,GPU,HDD that leaves the N/W card as a possible culprit, If you don't mind me asking, at what stage of OS install did it crash? I would like to know what step, network or disk partitioning or etc to narrow down the list. See if you can disable the network hardware or sound card anything that is non essential in the bios and retry the Windows installation.

Regards,
BLife
The OS crashed while installing features and once installing updates. It went well without any problem while copying windows file. There was disk partition but I had deleted that also to do the clean install. I will also check the N/W card. I hope it is not a motherboard issue. Thanks for your reply.

Below are the specs
Intel i5 4440 3.1 Ghz + Asus H97 Pro Gamer Motherboard + 16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM (2x4 and 8x1). 1 TB WD Hard disk. 450W Zebronics PSU and Biostar GTS 450 2GB GPU

Last edited:
PSU is poor quality one I guess. A defective PSU can definitely cause BSODs so I would try replacing the PSU in any case in addition to checking network/audio card on motherboard.

PSU is poor quality one I guess. A defective PSU can definitely cause BSODs so I would try replacing the PSU in any case in addition to checking network/audio card on motherboard.
Ok. So do I need to replace it with Seasonic or Corsair. The machine is not used for gaming and only used for light video rendering and other time to watch some downloaded movies.

As per your specs , +1 to this comment.
Get another PSU from somewhere (friends/office/your hardware dealer) to test..
Dont remove existing PSU, but place the new PSU anywhere on open cabinet and do needful.

Edit: Also check if your motherboard is showing any error codes, most motherboards comes with this feature now.

Last edited:
Yes, it was the PSU that was not able to generate the required power. Installed the corsair VS650 couple of days back. I also changed the cpu fan as I got cpu fan error while booting up couple of times. Everything works good now for the past two days. Thanks to @vishalrao for pointing out the PSU as the culprit.

I recently added a Zotac 1050Ti card to my system (i5 2500k based). It restarted randomly* after adding the card so my first though was either GCard is faulty or a driver problem. So I checked the Logs etc and found nothing. Then in BIOS I saw 3.3Volt is down to 2.98 volt and Asus surge protector was enabled. After disabling the surge protector my system doesn't restart. So it was Asus surge protector behind reboots. I have yet to find the actual fault(PSU or MoBo ) so I am using the system without GCard. The system is working fine without the card and the voltage is stable.

*Random reboots were mostly while gaming but at some point of time system was rebooting even when I opened the File Explorer.

When the system reboots does it always display the BSOD? if so, it might not be the gpu (i got a straight up screen freeze + artifacting when my gpu died).
Try cleaning the ram pins with a soft eraser (and memtest if possible).

I am getting BSOD error in my desktop system for the past couple of days and the frequency has now increased so much that I have kept that system aside. I have also done all basic preliminary checks but could not identify the problem. To see if the RAM is at fault checked using memtest on each individual RAM and it came out clean. Removed the GPU and tested and still got the BSOD. Checked the Harddisk for bad sector through HDtune and it came out clean. As a last resort formatted the hardisk for boot failure and tried to do a clean install and the solution while installing itself the BSOD error came-up and even after smart command failure for here trying to install again and again, got the BSOD and was not able to install the OS at all. The following are some of the error I got

IRQC not less or equal
System service exception
Driver overran stock buffer
Kmode exception not handled
Unexpected kernal mode trap

I had received several other errors also but listing out some of them.

Any help to resolve this?

Yes, it was the PSU that was not able to generate the required power. Installed the corsair VS650 couple of days back. I also changed the cpu fan as I got cpu fan error while booting up couple of times. Everything works good now for the past two days. Thanks to @vishalrao for pointing out the PSU as the culprit.
Good to see that your Blue Screen of Death error is solved. It is really an annoying problem. BSOD due to insufficient PSU is very rare. Your computer must be assembled by self rather than a company product.

I had this issue once due to RAM. One of the RAM modules was faulty.

Back