Budget 60k, pls advise for gaming PC

Aphro_EVO

Disciple
I have been out of touch of the hardware market for a while now, thus I am bit clueless of the latest price-performance hardware trends. My budget is 60k for a PC to be built only for gaming. Could you suggest a configuration keeping in mind the following

- This does not include the cost of LCD, Keyboard, Mouse, speakers or any other IO device for that matter.

- If there is an imminent price drop as far as GPUs are concerned, then I can wait.

- I seek best performance for what I am paying, I don't care about brand loyalty. (AMD/Nv/Intel etc)

- I am absolutely not going to overclock my GPU nor am I going to crossfire/SLi it ever.

- I don't have any parts with me which can be salvaged.

Thanks in advance guys, would really appreciate your help.

Go for the following...:

1.CPU & motherboard : intel 2500k + compatible mother board (Not intel coz intel motherboard does not overclock ) = Rs 16k.

2.CPU cooler : Corsair Hydro Series H80 = Rs 6k ( Intel 2500k when overclocked, performs better than i7 3960 ivy brige in gamming..Also, it is easily overclocked.)

3.Ram : Cosair vengence 8Gb Dual channel = Rs 3.6k

4.Hdd : Wd black 1 TB sata 3 = 8k

5.Graphics : dual Nvidia 570 gtx in sli = 30k

6.PSU : Sea sonic SS-850HT Active PFC 850w = 8k

Total = Rs 71.5k

It is the best possible system for the money around yr budget...

I have been out of touch of the hardware market for a while now, thus I am bit clueless of the latest price-performance hardware trends. My budget is 60k for a PC to be built only for gaming. Could you suggest a configuration keeping in mind the following

- This does not include the cost of LCD, Keyboard, Mouse, speakers or any other IO device for that matter.

- If there is an imminent price drop as far as GPUs are concerned, then I can wait.

- I seek best performance for what I am paying, I don't care about brand loyalty. (AMD/Nv/Intel etc)

- I am absolutely not going to overclock my GPU nor am I going to crossfire/SLi it ever.

Go for the following...:

1.CPU & motherboard : intel 2500k + compatible mother board (Not intel coz intel motherboard does not overclock ) = Rs 16k.

2.CPU cooler : Corsair Hydro Series H80 = Rs 6k ( Intel 2500k when overclocked, performs better than i7 3960 ivy brige in gamming..Also, it is easily overclocked.)

3.Ram : Cosair vengence 8Gb Dual channel = Rs 3.6k

4.Hdd : Wd black 1 TB sata 3 = 8k

5.Graphics : dual Nvidia 570 gtx in sli = 30k

6.PSU : Sea sonic SS-850HT Active PFC 850w = 8k

Total = Rs 71.5k

It is the best possible system for the money around yr budget...

he is not going for SLI/O.C
<

Totally agree with #Jacob

If it is very urgent, (approx prices)

Core i5 2500k 12k

MSI Z68 GD55 10k

G Skill DDR3 1600 CAS9 1.5V 2x4GB RAM 3.5k, if budget permits then 4x4GB RAM, 7k

Seagate 7200.12 1TB 5-6k

Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus cooler for CPU, good enough for overclocks up till 4.2-4.3GHz, 2k

Corsair TX650 V2, 5.5k

I definitely don't buying a graphic card right now because 7800 series would come here very soon and that makes far more sense.

CM 690 Advanced II or HAF 922/912, 5-6k here

Till now the total is sub 40k.

You have 15-20k left for the GPU in your 60k budget.

If you really want it very badly and can't wait, 570 and 6970 are approx the same performance, mostly game dependent. Overall 6970 is a bit better but once overclocked the 570 is a bit better. But both cards will cost around 20k.

If want to stick close to 15k get a 560 TI 448 which is the best thing in 15k approx.

However, I recommend you wait till Ivy, get Ivy 3570k + Z77 which will be nearly the same price, maybe 2-3k more at most. And also get a 7870 which is 90-95% of a GTX 580 and will cost around 21-24k at launch approx. If you don't want to spend that much you can go for a 7850 which would be comparable to the current cards at stock but if overclocked will near the GTX 580 in performance.

I don't recommend SLI or CF because that can result in microstuttering or other problems , besides, game profiles etc and for a noob it is strongly not recommended, I wouldn't buy dual gpu setups my self. Since these are mid range cards, soon microstuttering will become very noticeable in such cards.

A single 7870 once overclocked and volt modded will most of the times trade blows with 560 TI SLI or 6950 CF, or at least give performance which is just short by 20-25% most of the times, but without any hassles.

Till when can you hold on this purchase, if you can hold out till Ivy Bridge and Southern Islands debut in India, I would recommend that you buy those, if this is a snap purchase this is what I would recommend --

Intel Core i5 2500 ~12500/-

Intel DH67-BL ~5800/-

G.Skill RIPJAWS 4GB x2 1600MHz ~3400/-

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB ~6000/- [since the price premium of Western Digital Black edition is not justified by its performance]

AMD HD 7850 2GB ~16500/- OR AMD HD 7870 2GB ~19000/- http://www.techpower...D_7850_HD_7870/ / http://www.tomshardw...hmark,3148.html.

Corsair TX V2 650W ~5500/-

Corsair Carbide 400R ~5400/- http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Corsair/Carbide_400R/ / http://www.anandtech.com/show/4690/corsair-carbide-400r-succeeding-in-reverse.

A few reason that Ivy-Bridge is not a great game changer in your scenario --
  • The thrust has been the die shrink and associated TDP curtailing.
  • The performance has improved ~10% overall not a great jump for gaming.
  • Intel HD 2500 and HD 4000 IGP's are the main changes in overall package.
  • Intel Haswell will be the next performance upgrade.

Another thing is if you can wait for nVidia Kepler mid-range cards to release we might see a great price restructure depending on the availability and performance of these cards vis-a-vis AMD HD 78** series and older generation cards.

Hope this helps, Cheers!!

If it is very urgent, (approx prices)

Core i5 2500k 12k

MSI Z68 GD55 10k

G Skill DDR3 1600 CAS9 1.5V 2x4GB RAM 3.5k, if budget permits then 4x4GB RAM, 7k

Seagate 7200.12 1TB 5-6k

Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus cooler for CPU, good enough for overclocks up till 4.2-4.3GHz, 2k

Corsair TX650 V2, 5.5k

CM 690 Advanced II or HAF 922/912, 5-6k here

You have 15-20k left for the GPU in your 60k budget.

If you really want it very badly and can't wait, 570 and 6970 are approx the same performance, mostly game dependent. Overall 6970 is a bit better but once overclocked the 570 is a bit better. But both cards will cost around 20k.

If want to stick close to 15k get a 560 TI 448 which is the best thing in 15k approx.

However, I recommend you wait till Ivy, get Ivy 3570k + Z77 which will be nearly the same price, maybe 2-3k more at most. And also get a 7870 which is 90-95% of a GTX 580 and will cost around 21-24k at launch approx. If you don't want to spend that much you can go for a 7850 which would be comparable to the current cards at stock but if overclocked will near the GTX 580 in performance.

Read OP's requirements before shooting.

Thanks a lot guys for your inputs. Much appreciated. Now I have much better understanding of things, since I googled the suggested parts. Alpha, like you said I am not going to delay my purchase because of CPU, depreciation is much lesser of CPUs. Rest of the suggestions accepted, have a few queries regarding these

- Mobo, I guess Alpha you are suggesting an m-atx form factor; is it not going to lead to decreased performance/increased case temperatures. I gave this a look - Intel DZ68DB Motherboard, for 8500 an ATX mobo no frills.

- A 64GB SSD instead of a standard HDD, I will buy a dump drive later. Could you please let me know of one with best price/performance?

- When will we see HD7870 release in India, I think I will delay until then. Its numbers are compelling.

- Mobo, I guess Alpha you are suggesting an m-atx form factor; is it not going to lead to decreased performance/increased case temperatures. I gave this a look - Intel DZ68DB Motherboard, for 8500 an ATX mobo no frills.

Get the Intel DH67-CL ~5800/- instead of the -BL if you want to get a full HD motherboard, I will not recommend the Z68 motherboard as you have already turned down the over-clocking factor so there is no point in spending extra on that end. Also the only advantage that Z68 motherboards confer is Lucid Virtu but it is in a very nascent state so is not consistent in performance and I will ask you to avoid spending on it.

- A 64GB SSD instead of a standard HDD, I will buy a dump drive later. Could you please let me know of one with best price/performance?

For this I will recommend the Corsair Force 3 GT 120GB ~9500/-, it may not be the fastest SSD but the after sales support of Corsair make it a safer long term investment. If you want sheer performance look towards OCZ Vertex 3.

- When will we see HD7870 release in India, I think I will delay until then. Its numbers are compelling.

These cards were supposed to be out in mid-March but no solid information is forthcoming their availability, I think the kinks mentioned in the HD 7850 are being ironed out and AMD has had to postpone the release. Expect them to arrive no earlier than ~early -- mid April.

Hope this helps, Cheers!!

Just for your info Corsair GT is one of the fastest SSD's in the world. In half the benchmarks it beats Intel 510 and overall comes pretty close. The fastest SSD in the world is debatably Corsair Performance Pro (amongst those available in India) and this will give you 95%+ of its performance.
<

Just for your info Corsair GT is one of the fastest SSD's in the world. In half the benchmarks it beats Intel 510 and overall comes pretty close. The fastest SSD in the world is debatably Corsair Performance Pro (amongst those available in India) and this will give you 95%+ of its performance.
happy19.gif

Then tell me rite, why do half the SSD crowd here on TE have OCZ Vertex 3's and Intel 520's over the Corsair drives?

As far as I have noticed, the Corsair Force 3 drives are easily available in Bangalore

Hence proved the Corsair GT is faster than the OCZ Vertex 3 in pretty much every benchmark, but by an unnoticeable lead.

For practical purposes they tie.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/409?vs=350

Intel is a bit faster, but more expensive and has global warranty besides having lesser problems. But in terms of raw power, Intel 510 isn't a lot faster, but just a little.

OCZ Vertex 3 is a little slower.

In some benchmarks the GT thrashes the Intel but in others the GT is thrashed. So it isn't a total win by any angle.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/409?vs=375

Apart from high sequential speeds, the 510 is poor performing in every other aspect, even against the 'lower model' 320.

Back