Budget 10-15K Budget phone for downloading

naru80

Disciple
Hello,

I have a been using a Samsung Galaxy S Plus for the past two years . I cracked its screen in the very first month of purchase, but since the crack was near the edge, it was not much of a bother. Now the screen guard that held the broken glass in place is coming off, resulting in tiny shards of glass coming out. Also, the phone has become extremely sluggish, and hangs frequently.

So, I'm now looking for a replacement.

Under normal circumstances, it would have been a no-brainer: Moto G for 14k.

The only problem is that I use the phone for downloading purposes since I don't own a PC or laptop. And that makes a microSD slot a necessity. So what other options do I have for that price? I have no brand preferences.

Please advice.

Last edited:
Why don't you go for it then? All you have to do is connect the phone to the PC. However, there's only a limited amount of downloading what will be available to you, say about 11GB. You'll have to cut paste again and again. I'm saying this, because I have this phone. And it's amaaaaazing!

Why don't you go for it then? All you have to do is connect the phone to the PC. However, there's only a limited amount of downloading what will be available to you, say about 11GB. You'll have to cut paste again and again. I'm saying this, because I have this phone. And it's amaaaaazing!
I use an ipad, I don't own a PC or a laptop. So I download on phone, and use an SD card reader with my TV. This cant be done with Moto G since it doesnt have a microSD card.

I use an ipad, I don't own a PC or a laptop. So I download on phone, and use an SD card reader with my TV. This cant be done with Moto G since it doesnt have a microSD card.
See. Now we have further clarity. Hence it is always good to use the template. Now, does your TV have a HDMI port? If yes, you can use this feature available on many phones. If not, then personally I would suggest you to get gionee e3 or e5 or huawei ascend g700 or lenovo p780 or sony xperia c.

Why don't you buy an Android stick for ~3k, connect it to your TV and use it for downloading.
Sorry, I have no idea what an Android stick is and what it does. Can you please elaborate?

See. Now we have further clarity. Hence it is always good to use the template. Now, does your TV have a HDMI port? If yes, you can use this feature available on many phones. If not, then personally I would suggest you to get gionee e3 or e5 or huawei ascend g700 or lenovo p780 or sony xperia c.

Yes my TV has an HDMI port, does Moto G support this feature? Also, will I have to buy HDMI cable separately and how much will it cost?

Sorry, I have no idea what an Android stick is and what it does. Can you please elaborate?
Its a small stick with an ARM processor, RAM and some storage and android preloaded. You just plug it to your TV and you have a fully functioning android desktop. Think of it as an android tablet without a screen.

you can get one with a dual core processor and 1GB of RAM for ~3k and with a quad core processor and 2GB of RAM for about ~4.5k

Yes my TV has an HDMI port, does Moto G support this feature? Also, will I have to buy HDMI cable separately and how much will it cost?

No. Moto G does not have a video output. You'll have to look for phones with HDMI Out support! Actually, the android stick idea is not bad either, if it has sd-card support, it's a good bet.

DD-wrt based router /RaPi / Pogoplug are best low power 24 hrs operations devices , RaPi is overall most powerful .

Unfortunately, I spent 2500 bucks on a Dlink wi-fi router just a year or so back. Besides, I haven't the faintest clue how these things work. Don't you still need a PC with these?
Get a used Nokia 5800 or cheaper android phone for 1.5-2k for downloading purpose.
I considered this. But even my Galaxy S Plus becomes sluggish with wifi + utorrent + UC browser running together. Using a lower spec phone will be a very frustrating experience.

The older generation of sticks was prone to overheating in the plastic case. But, if you remove the case and stick a heatsink to the SoC, things work much better. However, with a USB HDD, pretty sure its gonna hang anyways.

Would suggest a RPi with a USB HDD + WiFi dongle for the downloading part. The phone will be the hotspot. You would need access to a PC to do the initial config and all.

I use an Rpi with a USB hdd and a wifi dongle, it's not as easy to use as a phone but is more realistic as the setup is & can operate 24x7. I even added a usb fan just to be on the safer side.

Last edited:
Back