Budget 0-20k Budget Skylake upgrade

fractal

Disciple
I am putting together a budget Skylake system with some existing parts.

I am not clear which Motherboard to buy. Most of the ASUS and Gigabyte H110 boards have poor back panel connectors. They also have serial and parallel ports which I think no one uses any more.

MSI and Asrock seem to have better back panel connectors but not sure of quality as most recommendations in this forum are for ASUS and Gigabyte. I am looking for a HDMI connector since my monitor needs it. Ideally I want HDMI+DVI both

I don't want a B150 motherboard. If spending more, I would rather upgrade the processor. I think I3+H110 is better than Pentium+B150. Also since this is not a gaming system H110 and G4400 should suffice

I am mainly looking for a recommendation for a H110 motherboard.

1. What is your budget?
    • 15-20 K
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • Althon X2 640
    • Gigabyte 880GM UD2H
    • 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair value RAM 1333 MHz
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Monitor - LG 24" monitor with VGA+HDMI input (no DVI)
    • PSU - Corsair TX650
    • Samsung 840 evo 128GB SSD + WD 1TB HDD
    • Speakers, KB, Mouse
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - Intel G4400
    • Motherboard - H110 motherboard preferably with HDMI
    • GPU - No GPU planned now or in future
    • Cabinet - CM Elite 311 - Any cheap case with bottom mounted PSU + 120MM Fan
    • RAM - 8GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2133 or 2400 MHz
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • No upgrade planned.
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Bangalore
    • Open to online purchase
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • No
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Main use will be Browsing, Youtube
    • Desktop Processing
    • Single Virtual Machine - Need to occasionally run 32 bit OS
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • No preference. Good experience with Corsair, Gigabyte, ASUS
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • No gaming
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    • 1920x1080
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • No
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 7 64 bit

H110 S2PH is one of the two H110 board I know have HDMI port. It would cost about ~5.5k.

I think i3 4150 build can do better than the Pentium for about the same cost.

• CPU - Intel Core i3 6100 -9100,
  • Motherboard - Asus H100M-K -4700,
  • Cabinet - Antec GX 200 -2700,
  • RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 2400 MHz -2500.
  • TOTAL -19,000.

I think i3 4150 build can do better than the Pentium for about the same cost.

I will look at Haswell option also. Thanks

• CPU - Intel Core i3 6100 -9100,
  • Motherboard - Asus H100M-K -4700,
  • Cabinet - Antec GX 200 -2700,
  • RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 2400 MHz -2500.
  • TOTAL -19,000.

Looking at all the H110 motherboards among Asus and Gigabyte, the Asus H110M-K seems the best for my requirements. I can get a DVI to HDMI cable to connect my LG monitor.

Last edited:
As @nac has pointed out, an i3 4th or 5th gen system will be better compared to Skylake, unless you are gung ho on buying the latest (just got delivery of a Broadwell EP server :D ) the older will do just fine.

Additionally, if you dont mind used components, you will be able to build a far superior machine with less. Please note that some of us do maintain stuff in nearly mint condition.

For example, assuming you are going for a gaming machine, and almost all components minus monitor have to be purchased

1. CPU - new purchase - i3 - 7kish
2. Mobo - I have a practically unused RMAd B85 board. say 4K
3. RAM - DDR3 is cheap, 8GB will set you back by 4K
4. Cabinet - get a cheap new one for now. 1K
5. PSU - someone is selling a seasonic s620 for 4K. @vyral_143
6. HDD - new only - 4K 1TB.

Should come in 24K < 25K. Now, this will be a much better system, with future upgrade potential! Add a GPU when you can!

Back