Storage Solutions Budget SSD - To buy or not?

aKp1

Disciple
Hey Grey Matters!

So I have been on upgrading my little rig and did quite a bit on upgradation When I finally thought about adding an SSD.
Now I am a very budget minded person and am really OK with Harddisks, but I really want to know all your opinions to whether or not I should really go with an SSD.
Also if I move to an SSD, I will probably have to reinstall windows, those applications and other things. which you all would be knowing is crap process.

So is it really worth moving to an SSD?
Will it be a cumbersome process to reinstall windows, apps, games, etc.?
Also I have managed to OC my procy only somehow, so I am also doubting if ocing will be possible, once I freshly install the windows 10.

My rig is teeny one as below:
Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H
Intel Pentium AE G3258
Hynix 4gb DDR3 (Will be adding 4gb this week)
WD 500gb Internal HDD
Asus Strix GTX960
CoolerMaster Thunder 450W

For snappier overall performance, SSD is recommended. OS loading time, application loading time will improve a lot. The difference would be noticeable.

Will it be a cumbersome process to reinstall windows, apps, games, etc.?
No. Clone HDD OS partition to SSD using EASUS tool. It works like charm.

Thanx for the inputs. @paarkhi and @vyral_143
Do you think of any offers, sales, etc. since diwali is coming near? Or something like that?
you can buy intel 520 series ssd from ebay for around 4K(256GB)

using from last year without issues.
if you are ready to wait for a month of shipping you can get a 240 gb ssd for 3750 rs from aliexpress.com
Chinese storage devices dont many a times have the printed capacity+ebay.in has almost same prices

I am thinking to go with the Samsung one. Do you think there is any harm in choosing it?
Also the Intel ones are with 180 n 160gb options only!

Does the difference in performance between Samsung EVO 750 and 850 justify the 2k extra price?
Is the performance difference between these two very much noticeable?
Not so much noticeable difference but there's definitely a difference, not worth 2K
@PHOENiX117, which seller are you recommending on eBay? Fortunately I have always had good experience on eBay. I only buy from trusted and top rated sellers.

And what about this?
http://www.ebay.in/itm/251874811286
It's a used one, no warranty
I am thinking to go with the Samsung one. Do you think there is any harm in choosing it?
Don't go with the used ones

Thanx for the inputs. @paarkhi and @vyral_143
Do you think of any offers, sales, etc. since diwali is coming near? Or something like that?

For your usage Zotac should suffice. @Party Monger is using one and can enlighten about it more. Do note that you can not expect Samsung 850 series, Crucial MX series performance in Zotac one. But boost one can get over a regular HDD is worth for the price.

Thanx again! I am willing to wait for some or the other offer and then will order the best and will also increase my budget till then.

For your usage Zotac should suffice. @Party Monger is using one and can enlighten about it more. Do note that you can not expect Samsung 850 series, Crucial MX series performance in Zotac one. But boost one can get over a regular HDD is worth for the price.
You get the performance of 256GB Samsung 850 Evo from the premium drive. Plus its MLC not TLC. Thats why I purchased it :p

But assume you get 10% less performance, its still cheaper than the Samsung 120gb 850 evo at just 4300/- :D

IMHO, the cheapest decent SSD you can buy right now is the Crucial BX100. MLC NAND + good SM2246 controller. 250GB is 5.6k on onlyssd.

There's a flood of budget SSDs on the market, so be very careful what you get.
Most budget SSDs are using 2D TLC or rubbish controllers or both. Also avoid the new crop of DRAM-less controllers on the market.
Samsung's 750 Evo has vanilla 2D TLC NAND. The same type used in the 840/840 Evo which has its limitations. Granted the newer gen controllers come with LDPC to avoid some of these pitfalls, but if you must have TLC, you're safer sticking to 3D TLC.
The Zotac has MLC NAND but uses a Phison controller, and Phison has a history of making very mediocre controllers.

Back