Buying a cycle/bike in US

push bike is what its called over there. Same as a cycle

SP_symbol.jpg

For recreational purposes yeah, if it was summer not for a basic commute which is what this sounds like. Also bike riding is safer in 30mph zones. That only happens within the town or a small area not much use.

Get back to the HR morons of your company and ask them to provide a leased car for 3 months. What were they thinking. Sending a malyali to CO in the middle of winter and expect him to get around on a bike (!)

People who take the bus in the US, ex cons, people that lost their drivers license, low incomes.

Not techies on placement.

See the climate in this place.

min temps for nov, dec & jan : 31, 18, 14 thats farenhiet)

Get back to the HR morons of your company and ask them to provide a leased car for 3 months. What were they thinking. Sending a malyali to CO in the middle of winter and expect him to get around on a bike

My first gut feeling.

But when you are up for a possible promotion and a very good work experience, you take a hit.

I been walking in this cold for three days. Severe sore throat. :( :(. Cant speak.

I don't know what to say to you man. What is even stranger is people in this thread think this is totally normal.

If you're in the US, you're expected to get to work. Not getting to work because of transport, weather etc is not an excuse. It will reflect badly on you.

So, how feasible is your idea to begin with ?

How far is the distance.

What is the speed limits on the roads taken to get to work and back.

You don't use them with all weather tires.

Used to drive to ski resorts with my sidekick. Spent a new year or two up in the mountains. Very nice.

For recreational purposes yeah, if it was summer not for a basic commute which is what this sounds like. Also bike riding is safer in 30mph zones. That only happens within the town or a small area not much use.

Get back to the HR morons of your company and ask them to provide a leased car for 3 months. What were they thinking. Sending a malyali to CO in the middle of winter and expect him to get around on a bike (!)

People who take the bus in the US, ex cons, people that lost their drivers license, low incomes.

Not techies on placement.

See the climate in this place.

min temps for nov, dec & jan : 31, 18, 14 thats farenhiet)

I live close to the very same 'sticks' you are referring to.
Have been commuting to work for the past year and a half. 30km round trip, atleast 4 times a week, rain or shine.

CO gets cold but snow is mostly a non-issue (the high altitude + copious sunshine means it melts off pretty soon). Black Ice isn't much of an issue unless you are on highways (slush can get troublesome on the smaller roads at times).

I don't know where you are getting your impressions about where to and where not to ride a bicycle from. CO at the very least is very conducive to riding bicycles, regardless of whether you are on a highway (Not interstates of course) or a little bylane. Motorists respect cyclists and give a wide berth. Most roads have a bike lane or a wide shoulder at the very least.

Louisville's 19k population might sound like the boondocks, but you need to understand that it lies in the midst of a massive urban sprawl that's the Denver metro area.

Again, assuming that folks that ride the bus in the US are 'ex-cons, people that have lost licenses or have low incomes' sounds like something an elitist with a shitty mentality would say. Yes the buses get used by folks coming from lower income backgrounds... How different is that from what any one of us is used to in India?

FYI it's completely normal to find relatively well of folks on buses around here (if that's what it requires to convince you that taking the bus is not just for the 'poor' or criminals).[DOUBLEPOST=1382768352][/DOUBLEPOST]
push bike is what its called over there. Same as a cycle

SP_symbol.jpg

TIL what a 'push bike' is :S

OT

Push bike definitely sounds like a British term. In the US, push bike is usually used to describe little kids bikes which come without pedals i.e. you 'push' them around.

I dont know how feasible the idea is. But seeing my health after 3 days walking, I admit I am worried a bit.

But yea, the office is in a tech park, so the nearest servicble bus stop is 1.6 miles away. Distance is not an issue. Yesterday I walked the entire distance :) around 3.5 miles(home to office). Using shortcuts/trails. :D. The place is nice to walk. I used to cycle a lot, Indian roads are not cycle friendly. So i just wanted to try this.
As stalker said... we dont actually use the roads to cycle. Only once in a while we hop on roads. Mainly we cycle on trails. Dunno how safe that is during snow though. The views are something t0 behold. You just need to see for yourself. Only thing is my health. :( :(

But dunno if during snow what will i do.

I dont know how feasible the idea is. But seeing my health after 3 days walking, I admit I am worried a bit.
You need to dress appropriately. Turtle necks, mufflers, a good coat. You'll have to spend for that.

But yea, the office is in a tech park, so the nearest servicble bus stop is 1.6 miles away. Distance is not an issue. Yesterday I walked the entire distance :) around 3.5 miles(home to office). Using shortcuts/trails. :D. The place is nice to walk. I used to cycle a lot, Indian roads are not cycle friendly. So i just wanted to try this.
What are the gradients like on those 3.5 miles. Hills, slopes ?

As stalker said... we dont actually use the roads to cycle. Only once in a while we hop on roads. Mainly we cycle on trails. Dunno how safe that is during snow though. The views are something t0 behold. You just need to see for yourself. Only thing is my health. :( :(

But dunno if during snow what will i do.
Are there other people in your workplace that commute with bicycles ?

Why don't you put up photos of the views.

:). Already dressed in layers and gloves.

Yea. Hills and Slopes.

Nope. But seen few in some other companies nearby. Will do shortly. let me get settled down properly first.

Yea. Hills and Slopes.
I asked for the gradient, hills and slopes can be gentle or demanding. This is where you will have trouble with snow & ice.

cannot climb if its icy, coming down when its icy and you cannot stop etc. So you need good boots to give you grip in such a case.

The thing i wonder with cycling to work is how sweaty will you be when you arrive at work. or if it rains how drenched will you be. This is the biggest problem i see with using a cycle to work. You want to arrive fresh not smelling like you just had a workout or came out of the swimming pool.

3.5 miles does not seem like a big deal on flat terrain it could be different on trails and then again in the cold or rain. How frequent is the public transport for your route, cannot leave work because you will miss your bus when there is work to be done.

Last edited:
Back