Hello friends am buying a ram and want some help with you all

computer details
1)AMD Phenom 2x2 555 socket am3
2)gigabyte Ga- 880Gm -usb3 socket am3
3)hdd 500x2
4)livetech-psu
5)ram 2 gb corsair
6) Total 4 ram slots

maximum ram i can install is 16 gb as the Gigabyte website .
I want to put 16 gb ram in my system and going was just thinking if i put 4 ram of 4 gb x4 buying a single strip of 4 gb individually will it do .means every 4 gb individual you may understand me and do i have to change the power supply and change the default cpu cooling fan.
Suggestions Please

http://www.flipkart.com/hynex-premi...=b_5&ref=18ef69fd-021c-4a43-a040-5489296eebb0

Why do u want 16gb ram for such configuration unless you are planning to build a NAS with 3-4 drives? 8gb of Ram would suffice if it is for normal day to day use. Always try to buy a kit for dual memory support as the Rams have to match and buying a kit makes sure they are from a single batch wherein the frequencies match (look for 2*4 kits). Have a look at corsair vengeance for Ram and a better PSU (Would suggest Corsair VS450 if you are on a tight budget).

PS: Please post in the proper section. This section is for trade only.

i am confused actually Ranjith Sai i want a set of 16gb ram to do my server practicals and practices which i don't get to do in classes and now i am working so i have to see the budget i collected the amount of 10k very hardly that i can't say and express so just i was doing some cost cutting in the work .
Is vs450 enough ?

Ok so you want to do vmware server stuff, I get it. Buy 2 kits of 4*2GB, but I couldn't find any online stores selling such kits. So you will have to try buying them locally. I am stressing on buying the kits because they work aptly with dual channel architecture. Different rams (no sold as kits) from the same vendor, same manufacturer might have differences and might not make effective use of the dual channel architecture.

And if your only idea of using this machine is a server lab, don't bother to buy a new PSU unless your current PSU is rated at least 350W and gives a stable output. Spend it on RAMs (dual kit RAMs)

Edit- The kit looks something like this
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006WAGGUK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
The 8 gb (4*2) kit would cost you $60 each and with shipping and customs will cost you-
Items (2)
$121.30
Import Fees Deposit
$22.15
Estimated order total
$150.24

Crucial provides lifetime global warranty but you will have to pay for shipping charges and return will be free. So if you can buy it from US yourself or through someone it will be within your budget

Last edited:
Why do u want 16gb ram for such configuration unless you are planning to build a NAS with 3-4 drives? 8gb of Ram would suffice if it is for normal day to day use. Always try to buy a kit for dual memory support as the Rams have to match and buying a kit makes sure they are from a single batch wherein the frequencies match (look for 2*4 kits). Have a look at corsair vengeance for Ram and a better PSU (Would suggest Corsair VS450 if you are on a tight budget).

PS: Please post in the proper section. This section is for trade only.
That's not necessary nowadays, if you're buying the same memory module there's a 99% chance that they'll work fine in dual channel, the other 1% of the time it may not work for n number of reasons & not necessarily due to DRAM incompatibility. I bought 4 different RAM modules over the last 6 months (two strontium ones) & all of'em have worked just fine in dual channel, granted it was an Intel system but still there's very very little chance that the two sticks from the same seller & of the same make/model won't work in dual channel.
That's the thing about dual channel, you don't need to buy a kit these days so long as the memory modules are of the same make/model & preferably from the same manufacturer.

so ROHIT so as the link i had uploaded so can i buy 4gbx4 Rams so 4 of them can run properly because i have seen issues related to it so i am scared to buy one of them same thing happen in my company 2 ram 1 hynet and one kingstone ram clashed and gave dump error.

so ROHIT so as the link i had uploaded so can i buy 4gbx4 Rams so 4 of them can run properly because i have seen issues related to it so i am scared to buy one of them same thing happen in my company 2 ram 1 hynet and one kingstone ram clashed and gave dump error.
Yes you can but why don't you try the ebay option? It's much cheaper (using coupons) plus with ebay you can return the item if it doesn't work as intended, also strontium is a better brand than hynet with its own dedicated RMA ~ India

IMO you should buy 2 sticks & see how they work for you & buy same 2 afterwards if you're satisfied with them.

And if your only idea of using this machine is a server lab, don't bother to buy a new PSU unless your current PSU is rated at least 350W and gives a stable output. Spend it on RAMs (dual kit RAMs)
IMO you should buy 2 sticks & see how they work for you & buy same 2 afterwards if you're satisfied with them.
That's not necessary nowadays, if you're buying the same memory module there's a 99% chance that they'll work fine in dual channel, the other 1% of the time it may not work for n number of reasons & not necessarily due to DRAM incompatibility.
^the above 3 posts sum it up.

Separate ram's might work well with dual channel, but if it doesn't work the manufacturer assumes no responsibility as it was sold as a single channel ram. But in case of kits if the dual channel doesn't work you can return them for a replacement. It won't hurt to buy kits as the price difference is hardly anything at all. It is just that kits have 99% success rate and single sticks have 95% success rate (industry talk)

Intel has handled dual channels in spite of being bought as separate sticks and have no experiences with AMD.

You can try going to a local shop maybe a dealer who will have rams in strips of 10 and ask him to give 4 sticks from the same strip. Also since you are buying 4 sticks you can ask him if it is OK to check and return it back if there are any issues. I have done that previously maybe 4-5 years back, and they would replace it without even testing it.

And please beware that ebay or for that matter any seller doesn't guarantee dual channel configuration if they are bought in single sticks. If you return it and if they find it working in single slot, they will reject your claim.

even if i buy it from a local shop my question remains the same if i buy 2 kits of kingston 8 gb and insert it in the system will the system through the dump error or not because my local supplier is selling at high price .

Separate ram's might work well with dual channel, but if it doesn't work the manufacturer assumes no responsibility as it was sold as a single channel ram. But in case of kits if the dual channel doesn't work you can return them for a replacement. It won't hurt to buy kits as the price difference is hardly anything at all. It is just that kits have 99% success rate and single sticks have 95% success rate (industry talk)

Intel has handled dual channels in spite of being bought as separate sticks and have no experiences with AMD.

You can try going to a local shop maybe a dealer who will have rams in strips of 10 and ask him to give 4 sticks from the same strip. Also since you are buying 4 sticks you can ask him if it is OK to check and return it back if there are any issues. I have done that previously maybe 4-5 years back, and they would replace it without even testing it.

And please beware that ebay or for that matter any seller doesn't guarantee dual channel configuration if they are bought in single sticks. If you return it and if they find it working in single slot, they will reject your claim.
You don't need a dual channel kit for making it work, dual channel kits aren't made any more special than normal ones. They just test DRAM with similar characteristics (latency, bandwidth et al) in a given system & pass them off as dual, triple or quad channel. That's why I said that if you're buying from the same seller & the same make/model you will get it to work in dual channel, there is no logical reason why they won't since the mobo will take care of it.

As for the latter, that's not true either since ebay doesn't check the RAM themselves & you can give memory errors as the reason for returning them. So long as the RAM is returned in good physical condition, without damage, ebay will honor the refund & I've done the same in the recent past.

Now if the OP wants an 8GB module (or two?) that's upto him, to ensure that it works as he wants it in his system.

I think you didn't read it properly. I never said it won't work, but only said buying a dual kit is a guarantee from the manufacturer that it will 100% work in dual channel. If not you are entitled for a refund/exchange.

And sellers on ebay are all not same, some sellers might be good enough to give a refund without checking. But most sellers wait till the item is returned and then check if the claim is true. If the memory is not throwing errors in a single stick, they will provide the proof to ebay and the claim will be rejected. Please don't consider one offs as the rule, as ebay most times favors sellers for high value items. Please read online reviews about it, and the seller always asks you to claim the warranty. Amazon/Flipkart does it and I have mostly seen ebay rejecting claims.

i know little bit of ebay about the seller selling fake product and here many complains are registered with them my company too have an account on ebay and they are selling 5-7 years old cloths in cheap rate on ebay.uk and us saying it is good and new and just factory made .I was also confused but yesterday night i saw a offer on gskill ram 8 gb and i had a talk with the person and i am buying his gskill ram and i just send him the neft transfer and today he may send the parcel to me so will receive it in some days or will talk to him but now the question of pus is still pending?[DOUBLEPOST=1424931690][/DOUBLEPOST]do i have to change the psu as i am using livetech 450 watt a standard one.

Last edited:
Back