Laptops Buying Asus GL552JX laptop from Ebay for 55k

Does extending the laptop warranty to 3 yrs offer any benefit for a techy user ?

• Total voters
What do you think will be a better buy for the price?
This or the Lenovo Z50- http://www.ebay.in/itm/LENOVO-Z5070...9?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_203&hash=item33a2b703eb
Are the quad core i7 CPU and the 950m but with DDR3 memory worth the price difference since the new piece is going to be 4-5k higher in price.

What are your views about i7 4510U vs 4720HQ, 840M DDR3 vs 950M DDR3?

Please reply. Newbie here.
4510U is a dual core while 4720HQ is a quad core. And 950M is a definite step up from 840M...

z50 has pathetic build quality. A really bad panel and low battery life, the keyboard is not good either. You're looking and a completely different segment altogether.

An IPS has a purple tint when you look at it sideways >178°, and since Asus advertises a Professional IPS display they would definitely mention it on the box, but on the box is written FHD 15.6. The view angles were pretty good but there was no purple tint.

The build quality is nowhere near the g7** and similar ROGs, but it's better than every other laptop in the market except: hp probook/elite book, ThinkPad L, T series, and MSI gaming laptops. It's just that the plastic used inside the case looks a little thin but the finish is really really fine, also the laptop looks very powerful but petite.

I would not call it bad, Lenovo y50-70 is BAD, Asus g7*** would be a heavy tank whereas GL series is more like a medium-practical-MBT.

Heard build quality of Asus notebook is also not upto ROG standards. Would like to know how bad it is.

Last edited:
Guys who bought the Asus Laptop, what's your opinion after a week of usage? Any negatives that future buyers should be concerned about?

I will try and do a detailed review but not sure if I'll get the time. I'll give you a brief idea.

Build: It feels solid. Initially I was a little apprehensive as the top flexed a little bit under pressure. But the rest of the laptop is solid. No such issues. The flex with the top is still there but I have learnt not to notice it anymore. (The screen actually bends just a little. With the exception of that, it is a solid piece. Should easily last me 3-4 years. It is a dust and fingerprint magnet though...

Display: TN Display. Better than the average TN display you have around so that is a plus. Of course, it still doesn't come close to an IPS display. But getting your hands on a lappy with an IPS display at this price point is only possible if you get a system from the US. The display is additionally matte. I know this doesn't work for all, but I absolutely love the fact that I don't have to keep shifting my head due to glare from a light source!

Battery: Easily gives around 3-4 hours depending upon usage.

Keyboard & Touchpad: The backlit keyboard is good. The feedback is nice and feels firm. I do wish the arrow keys were a little more big. The WSAD keys are further highlighted (gaming series and all). The backlit is just about decent. It doesn't really light up fantastically (blame my previous awesomely built Studio xps with a brilliant backlight, build and display :p), but it serves the purpose. The touchpad on the other hand is a huge letdown. I find myself unsure of whether it has registered my tapping. Often my double tap doesn't register, and sometimes in my eagerness to overcompensate for that, instead of opening the file, the rename option comes in. The two touchpad buttons too are not upto the mark. A separate mouse is advised.

I haven't really gotten a chance to test this thing up in terms of power (won't get the time for another week maybe), so I won't comment upon the processor and GPU. It did run FIFA 14 without a hitch. I haven't had any heating issues due to the same so far. The 4GB RAM (and the 1TB 5400rpm?) could prove to be a bottleneck in the future though. Got to upgrade it very soon... At least the RAM!

If you have any specific questions, do ask. I'll try my best to answer it.

Do I regret buying it? NO! :)

Thank you for that detailed reply. That gave me a fair idea about what to expect.
I have two more questions about the multimedia quality. How good is the screen when viewing 1080p movies and how's the sound through headphones?

I will try and do a detailed review but not sure if I'll get the time. I'll give you a brief idea.

Build: It feels solid. Initially I was a little apprehensive as the top flexed a little bit under pressure. But the rest of the laptop is solid. No such issues. The flex with the top is still there but I have learnt not to notice it anymore. (The screen actually bends just a little. With the exception of that, it is a solid piece. Should easily last me 3-4 years. It is a dust and fingerprint magnet though...

Display: TN Display. Better than the average TN display you have around so that is a plus. Of course, it still doesn't come close to an IPS display. But getting your hands on a lappy with an IPS display at this price point is only possible if you get a system from the US. The display is additionally matte. I know this doesn't work for all, but I absolutely love the fact that I don't have to keep shifting my head due to glare from a light source!

Battery: Easily gives around 3-4 hours depending upon usage.

Keyboard & Touchpad: The backlit keyboard is good. The feedback is nice and feels firm. I do wish the arrow keys were a little more big. The WSAD keys are further highlighted (gaming series and all). The backlit is just about decent. It doesn't really light up fantastically (blame my previous awesomely built Studio xps with a brilliant backlight, build and display :p), but it serves the purpose. The touchpad on the other hand is a huge letdown. I find myself unsure of whether it has registered my tapping. Often my double tap doesn't register, and sometimes in my eagerness to overcompensate for that, instead of opening the file, the rename option comes in. The two touchpad buttons too are not upto the mark. A separate mouse is advised.

I haven't really gotten a chance to test this thing up in terms of power (won't get the time for another week maybe), so I won't comment upon the processor and GPU. It did run FIFA 14 without a hitch. I haven't had any heating issues due to the same so far. The 4GB RAM (and the 1TB 5400rpm?) could prove to be a bottleneck in the future though. Got to upgrade it very soon... At least the RAM!

If you have any specific questions, do ask. I'll try my best to answer it.

Do I regret buying it? NO! :)

Is the RAM soldered?

If not then can we install DDR4 memory?

What about heating?Does it heats up like Y510p I mean melts like oven.

BTW thanks for a short review.

I'm really confused right now. Is the Asus Laptop an overkill for me, who is a retired gamer, a movie buff,an Android developer and 200 tabs at a time firefox user? I'm confused between the Asus Laptop and this HP one http://hpshopping.in/Material/PDF/HP Pavilion 15-ab032TX Notebook_Laptop.pdf
Both have the same price and the HP one have Windows 8.1 OS, 8gb ram, latest ultra efficient CPU and Bang & Olfusen Audio. Asus laptop has no OS , 4gb ram and a power hungry CPU. I'm really confused. Help me.
I'm having the very common last minute panicking. :)[DOUBLEPOST=1433344784][/DOUBLEPOST]Finally bought the Asus Rog Laptop after lot of intense calculation and a "F*** it" moment at the end.:D Since the seller doesn't ship to my state, bought it using a friend's address, who is in Bangalore. If the product reaches him on or before Saturday, I get it in my hand by Monday. Else, I need to wait two weeks. :(

Last edited:
I'm really confused right now. Is the Asus Laptop an overkill for me, who is a retired gamer, a movie buff,an Android developer and 200 tabs at a time firefox user? I'm confused between the Asus Laptop and this HP one http://hpshopping.in/Material/PDF/HP Pavilion 15-ab032TX Notebook_Laptop.pdf
Both have the same price and the HP one have Windows 8.1 OS, 8gb ram, latest ultra efficient CPU and Bang & Olfusen Audio. Asus laptop has no OS , 4gb ram and a power hungry CPU. I'm really confused. Help me.
I'm having the very common last minute panicking. :)[DOUBLEPOST=1433344784][/DOUBLEPOST]Finally bought the Asus Rog Laptop after lot of intense calculation and a "F*** it" moment at the end.:D Since the seller doesn't ship to my state, bought it using a friend's address, who is in Bangalore. If the product reaches him on or before Saturday, I get it in my hand by Monday. Else, I need to wait two weeks. :(

That is an HP, built like crap, you cannot even open it without dismantling the entire laptop, driver installation will be a nightmare you wouldn't want to face. Getting help from their tech support feels like you are helping them rather than they helping you. It'll have a Panel that starts fading the moment you lean back on your chair (~100 degree view angle).
The OS they'll supply will be EFI, you'll have to reformat it and install it all over again to get any other OS dual-boot with it. The processor on HP is ~ 35% slower. Asus has a headphone amp for audio, sounds pretty good.

200 Tabs on FFX means you're like me, you need at least 8GB ram and the 4720HQ will make sure that you have a smooth transition between tabs.

Last edited:
Guys any1 registered Asus Global Warranty???

Please reply asap.
Need to purchase.

Does any1 has contact no. Of seller.Please PM me.
I have messaged him through ebay but no response.

Back