Laptops Buying Asus GL552JX laptop from Ebay for 55k

Does extending the laptop warranty to 3 yrs offer any benefit for a techy user ?

• Total voters
I agree about the warranty as stated by you, I recommend everyone buying an HP laptop to upgrade its warranty to 3 years ADP as hp has been offering offers on warranty extension since the start of this year. But it also depends a lot on how much you are paying for warranty extension and the terms and conditions of the warranty.

I looked up at some gaming laptops which have similar features and specifications as the aforementioned Asus ROG laptop. Laptops with GTX 950M cost a lot more than this one so i feel its a very VFM product but only IF the warranty claims is genuine.
And to those people who are thinking "why get this when i can buy the Lenovo Y-whatever 'gaming' laptop at cheaper price" i want to say this and other gaming laptops are "dedicated" gaming laptops and the Lenovo laptops which come with decent GPUs and other specs are just "normal" laptops with good specs. Just saying because i saw some posts online in which many people recommended non-dedicated gaming laptops over dedicated ones just because they were cheaper. But then again its your money.

Forgot to reply to something:

It does not matter whether you are a "techy" or non-techy. Everyone needs warranty support. Unless you are rich and plan to dump in the garbage if it has a problem which you connot solve. Also mind you that laptop's repair charges (at authorized service centers) are usually higher than a desktop component esp when the motherboard needs to be replaced which comes to thousands and even more for a premium product. Just a warning to people who think that they can do fine without warranty.

This thread has really grown! O_O
I really need to get internet!

And yea... The HD is 7200rpm. Just checked.

And Alias_01, other than a RAM upgrade, it is probably one of the better options out there at this price point. Go for it.

Woah! How come I never stumbled upon thus thread? What a VFM this Asus Rog is! Aman, Joel have you guys extended the warranty? If yes, how much did you pay for it?

I think the offer has ended. :(
The seller said it will be available again in a week (I emailed him)... So just wait...

According to Zauba.com, there is official laptop of GL series imported in india [ model: GL552JX-CN009H].
https://www.zauba.com/import-gl552-hs-code.html

Specifications:http://www.asus.com/in/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/GL552JX/specifications/

The price shown in Zauba is exclusive of taxes. I dont know the actual price. But if its within 65k,I would buy it instead.

@joel.elias.333 I've read somewhere that international warranty will be valid only if the same model is sold in the country too...Is this true??? Can you verify this?
I can confirm this, at least for HP laptops (I'm sure it'll be applicable for other manufacturers as well). I faced the same issue with my previous laptop (HP HDX 16), which was never launched in India. Although it had international warranty, the parts were not available in India. However, the good news is that the GL552JX is shown in the ASUS India website, which means they're planning launch it here officially. So we should be fine with the warranty, at least in the future, if not right now.

Anyways, as much as I'm liking this laptop overall, I'm not liking the touchpad at all. It's too smooth/sensitive. Also, the bottom part of the touchpad is wobbling. It's like those digital camera shutter button, where you can half-press the shutter before the actual click. Can the other owners confirm if it's like this for them as well or if my piece is having this problem alone?

However, the good news is that the GL552JX is shown in the ASUS India website, which means they're planning launch it here officially. So we should be fine with the warranty, at least in the future, if not right now.

The laptop which is listed in asus india site is gl552jx-cn009h and the one being sold at ebay is gl552jx-dm087d..Both have different model number.Will it be an issue??

Anyways, as much as I'm liking this laptop overall, I'm not liking the touchpad at all. It's too smooth/sensitive.
Sensitivity can be decreased through control panel,if it helps.

The laptop which is listed in asus india site is gl552jx-cn009h and the one being sold at ebay is gl552jx-dm087d..Both have different model number.Will it be an issue??
That shouldn't be an issue. It means the model is the same, only the specs are different (the 2nd part of the model no. usually varies by the different customization of the same model). The only difference that I found after checking these two is that the CN009H has 8GB RAM and 2GB GFX memory (same GPU).
Sensitivity can be decreased through control panel,if it helps.
That's not what I meant. I was talking about the physical feel of the touch surface. And more importantly the 'wobbling' effect. One review that I found online has also mentioned something like this (they rated the touchpad poorly), however, I'd still like to know from the other owners about this. It's a good thing that the mouse was bundled (although at a higher overall price) with this. My MX518 has gotten too old.

I can confirm this, at least for HP laptops (I'm sure it'll be applicable for other manufacturers as well). I faced the same issue with my previous laptop (HP HDX 16), which was never launched in India. Although it had international warranty, the parts were not available in India. However, the good news is that the GL552JX is shown in the ASUS India website, which means they're planning launch it here officially. So we should be fine with the warranty, at least in the future, if not right now.

Anyways, as much as I'm liking this laptop overall, I'm not liking the touchpad at all. It's too smooth/sensitive. Also, the bottom part of the touchpad is wobbling. It's like those digital camera shutter button, where you can half-press the shutter before the actual click. Can the other owners confirm if it's like this for them as well or if my piece is having this problem alone?

Yes the touchpad is pathetic. Can't be helped.

@joel.elias.333 Which laptop were you referring to, at this price point with IPS and 960M, which can be bought in US ?

The Lenovo Y50 and the Acer Nitro VN7 edition. (DDR5 GPUs and IPS screen)

@joel.elias.333 Thanks.Only problem with y50 is limited storage options. I need atleast one msata slot to run 128gb^ SSD + 1TB HD combo.And acer I don't trust for gaming.
I am mostly going to end up with Asus GL551JW-DS74. It's 200$ above my budget though :(
Is it worth it ?

Touchpad is not that good but even the Thinkpads that had the best touchpads have upgraded to a very-very similar touchpad (Asus type) so ... I dont think there's any other decent option available anyway.

Last edited:
Touchpad is not that good but even the Thinkpads that had the best touchpads have upgraded to a very-very similar touchpad (Asus type) so ... I dont think there's any other decent option available anyway.

BTW Thai Baht got weaker vs rupee. Thai Baht got weaker by a whopping 40% compared to the day when I had purchased the laptop.
nopes, you are mistaken here, 40% is impossible, people will commit suicide if things like this ever happens, currencies never fluctuates that much. this much change will destroy all businesses.

nopes, you are mistaken here, 40% is impossible, people will commit suicide if things like this ever happens, currencies never fluctuates that much. this much change will destroy all businesses.
I think he meant to say 4%..:tongueout:
Btw, when will the GL552jx be available? Looking forward to buy it..:)

Back