Buying components online without GST number

hollanet

Disciple
Hi,
For my hobby/repair work I needed the following components:

MOV-20D561KTR VARISTOR, 925V, DISC 20MM (10 no.s)

G4A01172C
Fuse, Thermal Cutoff, 10 A, 250 V, 157 °C (5 No.s)

Because of corona/lockdown I decided to buy these online and after
lot of search found them on the site in.element14.com. But the
problem now is they expect me to have GST number before accepting
the order. I don't have one.

How does one deal with this ?

Regards
sathish

Hi,
For my hobby/repair work I needed the following components:

MOV-20D561KTR VARISTOR, 925V, DISC 20MM (10 no.s)

G4A01172C
Fuse, Thermal Cutoff, 10 A, 250 V, 157 °C (5 No.s)

Because of corona/lockdown I decided to buy these online and after
lot of search found them on the site in.element14.com. But the

Regards
sathish

I dont think they will restrict anyone from buying just for the lack of gst number. Its a feild in the form generally that you can leave empty. If not then enter someone elses gst number from your city. Shouldnt be an issue.

But the

Regards
sathish

I read somewhere if you contact thenmby chat and explain your situation, they will give you a dummy GST number which you can use and complete your order. Give it a try.

Its a hobbist store. There must be an option to skip it. Or maybe let it stay blank or just put in a random number- 0000 . They could have written something on the page.

- still stuck at the same problem.

If I try to checkout, I see a notice:

"Individuals (students, individuals and hobbyist) without a GST number can purchase electronic components through one of our approved resellers.Visit this page for more information or contact our call centre on 1800 108 3888 / 1800 3000 3888 (toll free) for further assistance. "

When I called the toll-free number, rep insisted that without GST number, my only option is to contact the four resellers mentioned in the notice.

I checked at the four resellers, they are not carrying these components at all. And the live chat @ element14 was useless. He said element14 is B2B and their support checks the GST number entered. Lovely.

any way out ?

Oh yeah, they dont allow without GST. This was pre GST and you needed some tax number or something. I got my stuff from their reseller in Lamington

I would suggest you find the nearest shop which has a GSTIN and use that. Dont put a dummy GST.

Oh yeah, they dont allow without GST. This was pre GST and you needed some tax number or something. I got my stuff from their reseller in Lamington

I would suggest you find the nearest shop which has a GSTIN and use that. Dont put a dummy GST.

But even with such a GST number, will they sell to individuals?

Usually the problem is minimum order quantity, but here even that's not an issue.

Man, how i miss the days when going to lami and getting stuff directly was the simplest way...

But even with such a GST number, will they sell to individuals?

Usually the problem is minimum order quantity, but here even that's not an issue.

Man, how i miss the days when going to lami and getting stuff directly was the simplest way...

I know of several individuals with a GSTIN. They should be able to filter out those who are individuals and those who are not - can check that way (PAN card based).

You can still go to Lami and do it the hard way. They are open alternate days apparently. Spoke to Swapnil from Prime.

I know of several individuals with a GSTIN. They should be able to filter out those who are individuals and those who are not - can check that way (PAN card based).

You can still go to Lami and do it the hard way. They are open alternate days apparently. Spoke to Swapnil from Prime.

So say i get a gst number, even from someone willing to share it, will sites like element14 and mouser sell it to me? Has anyone actually ordered and received anything? Small quantity, like 5-10 nichicon caps etc. I mean i should be able to bundle an order of a few hundred bucks, but nowhere near a bulk quantity.

I can't go to lami now because i'm in kerala ! ;) I can't believe how hard it is to get stuff here that i took for granted at lami. SP's still there huh? I should call or mail him...

So say i get a gst number, even from someone willing to share it, will sites like element14 and mouser sell it to me? Has anyone actually ordered and received anything? Small quantity, like 5-10 nichicon caps etc. I mean i should be able to bundle an order of a few hundred bucks, but nowhere near a bulk quantity.

I can't go to lami now because i'm in kerala ! ;) I can't believe how hard it is to get stuff here that i took for granted at lami. SP's still there huh? I should call or mail him...
I ordered for my company around 4 BLE devices from them. The bill was around 7-8k. But this was pre-covid. Not sure about current scenario.

I mean will they sell to an individual? Not a company.
That's a tough one. I submitted company's gst number for purchase. See if you can find a local dealer that orders from element14. I had purchased an Rpi3 from a local electronics dealer who had himself ordered it from element14.

That's a tough one. I submitted company's gst number for purchase. See if you can find a local dealer that orders from element14. I had purchased an Rpi3 from a local electronics dealer who had himself ordered it from element14.

That's an idea. He's not exactly nearby but there's a dealer i can ask. He will probably add his cut though.

Right now all the orders have to be pre-paid with a credit card. No other option (actually they have the second option for a trade account, but that is of no use to me ).
So in the hypothetical case where one uses somebody's number, and they cross check and block the order, refund could be an issue.

Here are two other options i explored ...

digikey.com - has the components and order quantity is ok, but the components are shipped from US. Shipping fee is sweet 1200. Customs is extra...

rsdelivers.com - has the components but one problem is thermal fuse which has a min.order size of 10. That alone will cost 1400 rs. It is
difficult to use up that quantity...

Last edited:

where in lamington road can you share the address or name of the shop

Back