Car & Bike Buying first bike: FZ 16, R15, Fazer, Pulsar 220 or Karizma ZMR?

Hi TE,

Finally I have decided to buy my first bike. I rode a bike for first time yesterday. It was a FZ 16 and I loved it. I had some experience of riding my dad's LML Vespa scooter and I found FZ16 amazing. Riding it was fun so decided to go for a bike. I am 5'10", 80kg :ashamed: and I would use bike to commute to my office which is around 10kms one way. I've shortlisted following bikes:

1. FZ16: The first bike I rode and I loved it. It was super smooth and manual transmission was easy. Simply amazed by this bike :)

2. R15: Loved the looks. This is on top of my lists. Haven't rode it but people say this is an amazing bike. But is it really worth to spend 1.1 lakhs on 150cc bike? :huh:

3. Fazer: Engine is same as FZ16. Only looks are better (according to me). It's kinda tradeoff between FZ16 and R15.

4. Pulsar 220: Have heard it's pretty heavy bike. Not sure how is it's handling in city condition. Sheer power is only attraction in this machine.

5. Karizma ZMR: Loaded with enormous power, is it really good city bike? Well I didn't like the looks but many people advised me to go for it instead of R15. Is there any comparision between R15 and karizma?

Pour in your thoughts.

Question.2 = Really worth it. Test Ride and find that your body is suit this bike's riding posture.

But if you plan to ride most of the time in heavy traffic then it is not. BTW any fixed front bike not goes well if you are in traffic cutting situation most of your riding time i'e Stop 'n' Go position in Signal.In that case FZ16 is the all the way to go.

But ppl do well with Karizma/P220 cause they are always in the first position in the signal.

Que.5 = powerful and reliable bike with relaxed riding posture. If you are open for suggestion go for it over R15....No body ache and do 100+ in highway without engine strain.

Do be aware that Hero Honda is gonna lose the Honda badge in a couple of years. Hero group and honda have parted ways.

I would be mostly using this bike for city riding and I will hardly touch 100km/hr speed. Most of the time, speed would be limited to 60 km/hr not more than that. I personally didn't like Karizma as it's heavy. Will prefer light bikes and FZ series looks good to me.

Although the FZ series and R15 have the same 150cc....they are completely different...

R15 feels light(in a good way) and the acceleration is very smooth...

Pulsar is the fastest...and has a good feel to it too...but given a choice..i would prefer R15 over it...

And dont worry about the slim rear wheel of the R15...it has loads of grip.

But since you want it for city riding and you wont be riding like a maniac...go with the FZ16/Fazer..

R15 and P220 are only fun when you ride them on full throttle..

PS: wait till april..CBR 250!

CBR 250 pre-booking is open...and onroad price is gonna be like 1.8 laks :S

Not in my budget. After discussing with friends, they said don't go for R15 due to it's low power engine. So I am making my mind for FZ16/FZS/Fazer. One problem with Fazer is that it's headlight is attached to chassis so at turning, headlight will not bend if I bend handle. This is kinda worrying me. Guys, please give your expert opinion.

for city riding nothing beats fz-16,using one currently...though i'd prefer p220 over it just for it's shear power n speed.
every people has a different view,but to me i'd say go for the p220 over r15 if u love speed,its way more powerful than r15.
n i don't like karizma n haven't even ridden it once,so can't comment on that.(i feel it charges a lot of premium for the pgm fi that it flaunts, i guess it's not really gonna be of much use)
so ultimately if ur comfortable wid fz 16 then go for it...but if u need more power then look at p220 as well,n u cud test drive the karizma to see how it fares!

1.please dont consider ZMR, better go for karizma ZMA. Reason?-Google :p
2.RTR 180
Why not the RTR 180? its exactly what you are looking for.
3. my pick for daily commute- RTR 180>P220~ Karizma ZMA>R15>FZ 16.

And please dont ask "friends" about opinions- please test drive yourself or ask professionals who aren't fanboys.

Well I didn't like the looks of RTR 180...and I'm not in to racing and stuff like that...looks matters a lot to me :D

Kind of zeroed down to FZ-S Cyber green or Fazer Lava Red

col-green.jpg

or

lr2_full.jpg

^yes...RTR 180 is an amazing bike..

Moreover, Daytona will be coming up with new performance kits for it sometime soon..

racing kits ain't gonna be cheap,they surely gonna cost a bomb.

racing kits for r15 and fz series had also been launched,but the cost never made it see the lights of day,i guess!

Well I didn't like the looks of RTR 180...and I'm not in to racing and stuff like that...looks matters a lot to me

Kind of zeroed down to FZ-S Cyber green or Fazer Lava Red

since u have already decided u gonna go the yamaha way,then i'd suggest go for the fz-s,looks cooler and macho,n there's no use paying a premium of 10k just for the fairings with no other gain....n i almost forgot the fz-s wud handle better as it's smaller compared to fazer in everyday traffic

other than that,it's ur decision,after all it's ur money mate!

Fazers are bit more comfortable compared to FZ due the raised handle bar. Anyways get the R15 else the FZ. I own a FZ and am enjoying it :D

Saiyan said:
Fazers are bit more comfortable compared to FZ due the raised handle bar. Anyways get the R15 else the FZ. I own a FZ and am enjoying it :D

Fazer is more comfortable than FZ...really? From looks it seems Fazer and FZ have same construction. Are you sure about this?

^^like the op had mentioned fazer has a raised handle bar,so that wud mean u bending ur back lesser,giving u a more upright posture,which translates into more comfort...(fazer was designed keeping touring in mind,so the raised handle bar)

but not worth in my opinion since u can change fz's handle bar anyday!

Well that's great then...I will go and have a test ride of Fazer. Btw I inquired about delivery time of bike in Navi Mumbai and they are saying 45 days :S

Is there any other dealer which can get me the bike earlier?

Chaos said:
Do be aware that Hero Honda is gonna lose the Honda badge in a couple of years. Hero group and honda have parted ways.
Ya they'll split apart in 2014 but Honda will supply its technology ,Who knows what's gonna happen:(

I love the FZs naked look but the R15 is better in almost every other respect, however because of the full faring I doubt if you will have the flexibility of the FZ in the city.

A modded naked R15 would be the best of both worlds, though I'm not sure how It'd look.Anybody have any concept arts to share?

Back