buying FU iphone 5 and 4G/LTE compatibility in India

guptaji

Adept
I'm planning to buy a FU iPhone 5, as a lot of us are I'm sure, and trying to figure out which of the currently available FU models will support 4G networks in India.
here is a list of the models currently available and the bands they currently support:
Apple - iPhone 5 - View countries with supported LTE networks.

I believe the 4G bands in Kolkata and B'lore operate on 2300 and 2400 MHz; none of the above models support these bands. Does this mean none of the above models will support 4G in India? While I'm not overtly keen on 4G speeds, I do believe it'll become more important 6-12 months in the future.
Any thoughts?

also, attached is a list of prices for a FU phone (/o customs and import fees of course) (from here:Best Places to Buy Factory Unlocked Apple iPhone 5 for Cheap / Discounts | Advices Media)

CountryPricePrice in INR*
Australia799 AUD57.53 * 799 = 45, 966
Canada$69954.3 *699 = 37, 956
France679€71.1 * 679 = 48, 277
Hong KongHK$ 55887.0042 * 5588 = 39, 139
Singapore948 SGD44.55 * 948 = 42, 233
UK£52988.09 * 529 = 46, 600
Note: one can claim a 6% refund if buying from a retail store in S'pore?

Before all that you will need to arrange a Nano SIM. If the SIM was only smaller in size then that wouldn't have been a problem, but the Nano SIMS are also thinner than normal SIMS. So you cant just cut your normal SIM into a Nano SIM.
That means we will have to wait for the carriers to launch Nano SIMs, which might also mean that only Airtel, Aircel and Vodafone will be inclined to release Nano SIMs as they are the ones which launch iPhones in India.

There are 3 iPhone 5 models that you have to keep an eye on.

GSM A1428 - Supports AT&T LTE in the US and a few other carriers in Canada.
GSM A1429 - International LTE bands supported. Will be limited to HSPA+ speeds on AT&T in the US.
CDMA A1429 - Verizon support in US and a decent amount of LTE bands elsewhere. Cellular data and voice calls don't work at the same time, though.

I am also in same dilemma, Can i buy iPhone5 and use it with Reliance CDMA network (with complete compatibility viz call, sms, evdo etc). If yes which phone would be the best option ?

Based on what I've read so far, none of the 3 models are compatible with the 4G networks currently available in India. Airtel operates on the 2300MHz; not sure if other networks are gonna use the same frequency in the future. A lot of 4G networks in Europe as well are incompatible with the iPhone 5 versions
And it seems unlikely that Apple will change that in the near future.

As far as nano-SIMs are concerned I did read somewhere that Vodafone and Airtel have ordered nano-SIMs.

That's not Entirely True. Why the F*k they would bring 4G LTE just for Dongles. Crap thing to do.

whatever you say but airtel has blocked voice and sms on those LTE sim cards.
so even if you manage to get nano sim you wont be able to use in iPhone.
so all in all we all should forget iPhone till you get nano sim and then Indian LTE support.

- - - Updated - - -

as far as I know , we wont be getting Indian LTE in its current form.
airtel is on 2600 mhz.

till network refarming or ntp 2012 is implemented,tech neutral licenses wont be their.

we may kiss LTE good bye on iPhone 5.

Back