Buying iBall 150M Wireless-N ADSL2+ Router. Need suggestion

After being a loyal customer of VSNL Broadband (now Tata) since several years, I have finally decided to shift to MTNL Triband. Am planning to take their Trial Plan 50 and then shift to a better plan if all goes well.

Now, I require a "N" based router to connect to a few PCs/Mobiles, watch media on Xbox through PC and play games. How is IBall 150M Wireless-N ADSL2+ Router for my needs? My current "g" based belkin router shows jittery images while streaming media from PC to xbox and for RDC from one PC to another.

Link: Flipkart: iBall 150M Wireless-N ADSL2+ Router: Router

Let me know if there is a better product than this or if this IBall one has any shortcomings. Looking for the most VFM solution...

Try to see if you can get a ASUS/D-Link/Linksys router. Dont look at just VFM, its not really worth buying it then feeling that the signal does not reach this part of the house, etc.

Ideally, take the modem that MTNL gives, and use a standard router to connect to it. In case of any power spike in tel line, the modem they provide will be dead, so you do not need to worry! They will give replacement for it, it has happened to my friend in Navi Mumbai 4 times already. If you still want a all in one solution, ensure you get a 300Mbps router, not a 150Mbps one.

Also, if you have any g devices on the network, then speeds will be reduced a bit. In which case, i would suggest to go for a dual band n router, with 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels. Keep the net traffic on the 2.4 channel, while the media streaming on the 5GHz channel.

thanks Vivek +rep

Can you give me some model numbers/links to the routers suggested by you? I was going through reviews and found that Linksys one has several issues so decided for other brands. Also, why are you against iBall - any know issues with them?

Back