Buying new TV. What is Tv codec and what does it do?

Staskasas

Recruit
Hi, so i have decided to buy a TV. I have never owned a TV or bought one before so i am almost clueless as to what is important and what is not. I watched a bunch of guide vids on youtube and browsed the web for recommendations. Picked the TV i liked. Then i noticed that most of the TVs have that codec in their compatibility specification (see attached link to pic) and the one i chose does not. So my question is:
How important is it, and what is it for? I couldn't find anything understandable to me on the web.
(sorry for the copy paste link i am terrible with forums :/ )

It may be what formats or codec does the tv support when playing videos off USB or something.
Honestly, I would suggest just getting a nice tv but use something like fire stick for all streaming requirements.
I personally like to keep "Smart" and "TV" separate.

Hi, so i have decided to buy a TV. I have never owned a TV or bought one before so i am almost clueless as to what is important and what is not. I watched a bunch of guide vids on youtube and browsed the web for recommendations. Picked the TV i liked. Then i noticed that most of the TVs have that codec in their compatibility specification (see attached link to pic) and the one i chose does not. So my question is:
How important is it, and what is it for? I couldn't find anything understandable to me on the web.
(sorry for the copy paste link i am terrible with forums :/ )
From what I can see it mentions the codecs the TV supports. Sony one only supports the Upsampling to 4k. Samsungs and others support that and also HEVC ie x265 files. Basically it can play files that are made in that codec format, natively on the TV via usb or something. Also confirm the same via reviews to be sure, as there are a lot of variables like bitrate, resolution, audio codec in the file etc. Also sellers sometimes just give wrong info.

Reviews are your best guide. HEVC etc is a codec that is used mostly in files saved by cameras (phone cams too), and also used for uploading pirated movies.

Back