Buying PC main parts - already selected - need feedback

Scarecrow

Disciple
I have made the following choices

1) CPU ------------ AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz
2) Motherboard ---- which is a better choice
a) Gigabyte GA-790FXTA-UD5(would like to go with this because of USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
b) ASUS M4A79T Deluxe
c) MSI 790FX-GD70
3) GPU ----- Sapphire HD5850 1GB
4) Ram ----- G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600
5) PSU ----- CORSAIR TX 750 (I have CM 600W, will it support this config?)
6) Monitor --- Dell ST2410 (will i be able to connect my PS3 with this monitor without any issues. I remember reading somewhere that the other dell 24",09 model, had issues with audio lag when connected with HDMI)
My intended use of this configuration is for
1. Gaming (love to play at high settings)
2. Watching HD movies
3. Overclocking
4. Desktop Processing

Will be keeping CM690 and creative 4.1 and upgrading the HDD, mouse, keyboard later.

looks good. I would straight away go with Gigabyte's board. far more reliable. Don't expect too much out of usb3 and sata6 right now. They are far away from optimum performance.

am not into console thing so someone else should be able to answer that question.

btw, why not check core i5 750 based rig. it would be more powerful though a bit more expensive.

from what i have searched and read amd PII x4 is a little bit more powerful than core i5 based rig, correct me!

and yes because of the price i had to go with AMD rig

Scarecrow said:
I have made the following choices

1) CPU ------------ AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz

2) Motherboard ---- which is a better choice

a) Gigabyte GA-790FXTA-UD5(would like to go with this because of USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)

b) ASUS M4A79T Deluxe

c) MSI 790FX-GD70

3) GPU ----- Sapphire HD5850 1GB

4) Ram ----- G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600

5) PSU ----- CORSAIR TX 750 (I have CM 600W, will it support this config?)

6) Monitor --- Dell ST2410 (will i be able to connect my PS3 with this monitor without any issues. I remember reading somewhere that the other dell 24",09 model, had issues with audio lag when connected with HDMI)

My intended use of this configuration is for

1. Gaming (love to play at high settings)

2. Watching HD movies

3. Overclocking

4. Desktop Processing

Will be keeping CM690 and creative 4.1 and upgrading the HDD, mouse, keyboard later.

Dude go for the config except make the RAM to

G Skill Rip jaws 1333 MHz 4 GB DDR 3 due to the following reason plz read this review or atleast its first page carefullyAMD Phenom II X4 810 and X3 720 BE Review - CPUs and Memory Reviews - TrustedReviews

It clearly states that the AMD PC's can't support 1600 MHz natively so the RAM is under clocked and goes into Single Channel mode so no use paying extra for it:mad:

Also for your SMPS please specify which 600W Extreme Power or Real Power

if i were you i would get the amd phenom x2 555 and unlock the 2 dormant cores and get a quad core real cheap!

save money on the cpu now because when the x6 6 core phenoms are out you could sell the 555be and get a 6 core.

all three motherboards are very good but i would prefer the gigabyte for it is future proof with usb 3.0 and sata 6gbps.

get a good power supply -- never skimp when it comes to a psu -- the ground rule for making any pc should be to get a good psu. try getting a corsair tx 650/hx 620.

ALPHA17 said:
Dude go for the config except make the RAM to
G Skill Rip jaws 1333 MHz 4 GB DDR 3 due to the following reason plz read this review or atleast its first page carefullyAMD Phenom II X4 810 and X3 720 BE Review - CPUs and Memory Reviews - TrustedReviews

It clearly states that the AMD PC's can't support 1600 MHz natively so the RAM is under clocked and goes into Single Channel mode so no use paying extra for it:mad:

Also for your SMPS please specify which 600W Extreme Power or Real Power

Thanks to pointing that out, but the review is about x4 series 8 processors that to a year old and also today in market x4 9 series processors have a C2/C3 revision, right? isnt this ram problem solved in these revisions?

My SMPS is CM extreme power duo 600W.

sunny27 said:
if i were you i would get the amd phenom x2 555 and unlock the 2 dormant cores and get a quad core real cheap!
save money on the cpu now because when the x6 6 core phenoms are out you could sell the 555be and get a 6 core.
all three motherboards are very good but i would prefer the gigabyte for it is future proof with usb 3.0 and sata 6gbps.
get a good power supply -- never skimp when it comes to a psu -- the ground rule for making any pc should be to get a good psu. try getting a corsair tx 650/hx 620.

So when i unlock the other 2 cores of x2 555be, its the same as x4 955be with no performance difference?

So a tx650 would be more than enough for my chosen rig? I am also upgrading HDDs later, so there might be 2-3 HDDs, there might also be a number of fans as i can fit them in my CM690.

Scarecrow said:
Thanks to pointing that out, but the review is about x4 series 8 processors that to a year old and also today in market x4 9 series processors have a C2/C3 revision, right? isnt this ram problem solved in these revisions?

My SMPS is CM extreme power duo 600W.

So when i unlock the other 2 cores of x2 555be, its the same as x4 955be with no performance difference?

So a tx650 would be more than enough for my chosen rig? I am also upgrading HDDs later, so there might be 2-3 HDDs, there might also be a number of fans as i can fit them in my CM690.

Nope brother the C2\C3 stepping has not addressed any of the memory issues as it is a Hardware issue:no: and will most likely be rectified only after the release of the Thuban core :eek:hyeah:

Better get yourself a good power supply as people are telling and discontinue with your Extreme Power series as it is very inefficient at high load :mad:

Best of luck with all the above :clap::clap:

it is possible. u need a good motherboard which supports core unlocking. i haven't done this b4 ask around there are loads of guys who've unlocked their phenoms.

sunny27 said:
it is possible. u need a good motherboard which supports core unlocking. i haven't done this b4 ask around there are loads of guys who've unlocked their phenoms.

Does gigabyte 790gpt ud3h support unlocking?

Does unlocking void warranty??

Scarecrow said:
^ that means, each and every available x2 555be in market cannot be unlocked?:S

I thought that its possible on each processor.

I read somewhere only 80% chances of success

ok have a question, does the two additional cores get unlocked only after OC or just have to enable ACC in bios and the 2 cores get unlocked at stock speed?

about the monitor now, can anybody help me with this

ok have a question, does the two additional cores get unlocked only after OC or just have to enable ACC in bios and the 2 cores get unlocked at stock speed?

No need to O.C it. You just have to enable ACC in bios and the 2 cores get unlocked at stock speed

Back