Buying PS3 :: Firmware dillemma

india_rulz

Disciple
Guys, am planning to buy a PS3 soon (as soon as next weekend maybe, this weekend I hope to see GOD play:eek:hyeah:)

My basic requirement is that I need to buy a PS3 (jailbreakable+ability to have CFW), So am looking at a firmware <= 3.55

I plan to buy Sony PS3 320GB with Move Starter Pack Bundle from Flipkart, they are currently offering @ 21.5k, seems to me the best buy in the market.

Here's the concern for me, knowing the FW before buying is impossible, maybe knowing manufacturing date is also difficult in flipkart.

Should I take the risk and buy from flipkart or go to chroma/ezone/other shops and look for older pieces and buy?? Please advice, also let me know the recent prices.

Has anyone bought PS3 from flipkart or other shops in Bangalore recently?? if so, whats the FW??

Also, how does 3.55 fare against 3.41??

Buy any Package just make sure that its date of import is in 2010. I just bought a PS3 day before yesterday and I saw in a couple of shops that already Ps3 move bundles which have Feb11 as month of import. Ill advise you to buy from a shop rather than order it online and then get stuck up with a PS3 which has a firmware that does not cater to your (ahem!) *NEEDS*.

Before buying my PS3, i contacted Flipkart and asked them what was the MFG Date of the 320GB move bundle. They told me Feb 2011, so that is a guaranteed firmware above 3.55 (probably 3.56). Your best bet would be to search for a console locally and DO NOT buy any console Manufactured in 2011, only 2010 (and before?).

Everyone here is correct, but I'd like to throw another conundrum at you.

The 3.60 JB will be out anytime now. Worst case scenario, it could take another month. At this point, you need to weigh in if the waiting is worth the saving, in case you end up getting the 3.60 from Flipkart.

you can do the best buy it locally, check MFG date. or wait till 3.60 crack is out.
yeah its coming , maybe in few days or month. then buy from anywhere.
3.55 CFW is lot better than 3.41. you dont need to edit eboots like on 3.41

Zero Cool said:
Buy any Package just make sure that its date of import is in 2010. I just bought a PS3 day before yesterday and I saw in a couple of shops that already Ps3 move bundles which have Feb11 as month of import. Ill advise you to buy from a shop rather than order it online and then get stuck up with a PS3 which has a firmware that does not cater to your (ahem!) *NEEDS*.
Sirji, where did you buy it?? what was the FW? Yes, *those* are the needs exactly ;)

Aman27deep said:
Before buying my PS3, i contacted Flipkart and asked them what was the MFG Date of the 320GB move bundle. They told me Feb 2011, so that is a guaranteed firmware above 3.55 (probably 3.56). Your best bet would be to search for a console locally and DO NOT buy any console Manufactured in 2011, only 2010 (and before?).

Yes, that's what I did yesterday, wrote a mail to Flipkart, they replied saying ALL their stocks are packed and imported in FEB 2011 :( looks like flipkart isn't an option anymore.

Satan said:
Everyone here is correct, but I'd like to throw another conundrum at you.

The 3.60 JB will be out anytime now. Worst case scenario, it could take another month. At this point, you need to weigh in if the waiting is worth the saving, in case you end up getting the 3.60 from Flipkart.
aman147 said:
you can do the best buy it locally, check MFG date. or wait till 3.60 crack is out.
yeah its coming , maybe in few days or month. then buy from anywhere.
3.55 CFW is lot better than 3.41. you dont need to edit eboots like on 3.41

I thought with, geoh0t getting his a$$ hauled up by s0ny, there will/may be a *delay* in 3.60 getting cracked...don't want to take the chance...as, am already late to buy a PS3.

Guys, thanks for all the feedback!!
Please quote the prices with shop details(in India) who have bought PS3 recently(w or w/o Move) and also what FW they got

I thought with, geoh0t getting his a$$ hauled up by s0ny, there will/may be a *delay* in 3.60 getting cracked...don't want to take the chance...as, am already late to buy a PS3.
The PS3 JB scene is bigger than any one man (or kid).

I'd give it a month at the most although it should be out sooner.

BUY from a trusted seller like Flipkart. You may have to wait for the 3.56 jailbreak, but I don't think it'll be very long. The wait will be worth it. BTW, watch out for fakes!

There is no custom firmware for it, but people have been able to decrypt the EBOOT and other files of 3.56 games and play it on lower firmware. Once 3.60 demanding games are out, we are boned, momentarily of course. :p

Last heard that graf_chokolo is working on dual boot of OFW and CFW and he says he has created CFW for 3.60 and would release it once he is 100% sure.

Guys I have finally decided to buy a PS3..I ll be getting it in the firs or 2nd week of next month..

I want the Ps3 to be JB capable(dec 2010 or older mfg date)..I m from chennai..I want it to be the cheapest!!

Not interested in move as of now..And I m also thinking of saving some money by getting the 160gb version? Wat say? Is it ok??

Also, which is the best place to buy the ps3 from(Croma/Sony/Ritchie st) ..I want the best price possible..

P.S. Plz dnt suggest me online options ;)

ram_dante said:
Guys I have finally decided to buy a PS3..I ll be getting it in the firs or 2nd week of next month..

I want the Ps3 to be JB capable(dec 2010 or older mfg date)..I m from chennai..I want it to be the cheapest!!

Not interested in move as of now..And I m also thinking of saving some money by getting the 160gb version? Wat say? Is it ok??

Also, which is the best place to buy the ps3 from(Croma/Sony/Ritchie st) ..I want the best price possible..

P.S. Plz dnt suggest me online options ;)
First of all, make a new thread when requesting for some info./help..

BTW if you want to buy a PS3 of Dec 2010 or earlier Import Date..

Start with

1) Croma (2 branches in Chennai.. One in t.nagar & another in Mount Road after the Spencers Signal)

2) Sony World - Search in all Major branches..

Have ritchie street as the final option..

REY619 said:
Keep us updated..

Got my PS3 over the weekend. I ordered it through Flipkart, I didn't take the chance of buying PS3+MOVE bundle, hence ordered PS3 with 2 games free and a MOVE separately.
Together it cost me 24.5k. Before ordering, I called up Flipkart and confirmed with them that the PS3(W/o MOVE) was DEC 2010.

But when I got the PS3, to my shock...Flipkart had sent me a March 2011 peice, that too KILLZONE package, when I called flipkart...they told they had run out of old stock:(

With zero hopes, I opened the package and connected to the TV and found out that it was 3.50:clap:

So to cut the melodrama, I got 3.50 in a Killzone package(March 2011) :)
I will JB it over the weekend:eek:hyeah:

india_rulz said:
Got my PS3 over the weekend. I ordered it through Flipkart, I didn't take the chance of buying PS3+MOVE bundle, hence ordered PS3 with 2 games free and a MOVE separately.

Together it cost me 24.5k. Before ordering, I called up Flipkart and confirmed with them that the PS3(W/o MOVE) was DEC 2010.

But when I got the PS3, to my shock...Flipkart had sent me a March 2011 peice, that too KILLZONE package, when I called flipkart...they told they had run out of old stock:(

With zero hopes, I opened the package and connected to the TV and found out that it was 3.50:clap:

So to cut the melodrama, I got 3.50 in a Killzone package(March 2011) :)

I will JB it over the weekend:eek:hyeah:
Whoa, lucky you!! xD

btw Congrats! :D

After how many days of ordering you received it?

Back