Buying PSP (Need lot of queries answered)

Hi guys ,Thinking to buy PSP .

Would be glad if below queries are answered(total noob about PSP used ps2 long time ago)

Which firmware based version to buy?
Is there any other things to look for apart from firmware?
Any good shop to buy in mumbai?
Will i get Modded PSP from shop itself?
Which mod is better software/Hardware?
What things will change if i mod it?
Will i able to play music and videos of any format ?
Do i need to encode the video before sending to PSP?
What is the Harddisk capacity of PSP?
After MOD where to look for Games?
Is sony still making new Games for PSPs?
Best games for PSP?

Sorry about all basic questions but i really dont know anything about PSP .

pinga123 said:
Hi guys ,Thinking to buy PSP .

Would be glad if below queries are answered(total noob about PSP used ps2 long time ago)

Which firmware based version to buy? Any firmware is hackable now.

Is there any other things to look for apart from firmware? A PSP 2000 is usually suggestible over a PSP 3000

Any good shop to buy in mumbai? I don't live there, but have heard of lamington road a lot of times

Will i get Modded PSP from shop itself? you can

Which mod is better software/Hardware?software

What things will change if i mod it? ability to play games off a memory stick

Will i able to play music and videos of any format ? not much idea

Do i need to encode the video before sending to PSP? probably, HD video's won;t play properly

What is the Harddisk capacity of PSP? Depends on the MSPD (Memory stick Pro Duo) you have, max is 32 GB AFAIK

After MOD where to look for Games? Internet/your friends/your "legal" backups

Is sony still making new Games for PSPs? First party probably no

Best games for PSP? The 2 God of war games, MGS peace walker and many many more, check out this Highest and Lowest Scoring Games at Metacritic

Sorry about all basic questions but i really dont know anything about PSP .

Answered in BOLD. Hope most of ur queries are answered.

But i would STRONGLY suggest for you to get a PSP VITA (PSP successor) when it releases next year rather than a psp right now, which is more or less dead.

Aman27deep said:
But i would STRONGLY suggest for you to get a PSP VITA (PSP successor) when it releases next year rather than a psp right now, which is more or less dead.

Dead ?

If you are talking about new games, then yea the pace has slowed down a lot. But it still has loads of games in its line up to keep one busy for a long long time. Plenty of stuff to fiddle with.

Combine that with running of the ROMs from old school era and you dont have any problem. So still a pretty good option.

Ofc vita promises a portable ps3 with the new uncharted game in the wings for it.

@OP

Modding basically allows unsigned code to run on the psp. Essentially means codes which were not intended to run on the target machine. So it enables you to run ROMs, backups and other softwares like a pdf file reader.

What's your budget ?

Vita wont be cheap. Should touch 15-16k easily. Best bet is to catch hold of a psp which is pre owned, and from the earliest batches which was fully moddable. These were the earliest psp 2000 or u can go for the old phat models.

Do confirm this bit: All f/w are hackable but not all games run on these latest firmwares. That's what i heard last.

And i dont think any Sony showroom wala will mod the psp for u. Local store seller might have the service to avail.

Few Recommended Games: Daxter, Tekken 5, Locoroco, The 2 God of war games, Crush, Ridge Racer and Burnout Legends .

I heard musafirkhana and ninja kept a good stash if u wanna purchase fresh.

After reading the above comment i have below doubts.

If vita is not going to be cheap then i dont mind it excluding from my purchase list.

Will i get old PSP 2000 in shops?

Why is it so better than PSP 3000 where every firmwares are hackable?

Any specific shop in mumbai who gives modded one (also guide on which is the best).

Will it not play Music and video without chaging the format?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Any way guys brought myself a sony 3004 for 7450INR .

the shopkeeper was good and did soft mod for extra 500 which i wouldn't mind .He moded my PSP with sony pro software(don't know exactly yet to explore it).

Charged 50 rs per game so i settled on buying only one (burnout) (hope i will rest on net).

Got one sandisk 4gb card for 699.

the only thing left is scratchguard which he had very bad one.So i decided not to buy it.

Where will i get good scratch guard for it?

How much should i spend on scratch guard?

How come he modded my PSP when everyone here are saying only PSP 2000 can be modded and not 3004 ?

Anyway i m happy to have this beast .

PSP 3004 can be soft modded. You could have saved yourself Rs.500/-. Post your firmware version.

A good scratchguard can cost you upto Rs.200/-. I think the cost was less than that when I got it a year back from Alfa.

OT: Do you know you will get a discount to buy PSP games for your Vita if you can prove you have an UMD for that game. Hmmm... Purchase a game you already own for your PSP so that you can play it on your Vita, I guess the pirates win then.

Congrats on your purchase. :)

Where will i get good scratch guard for it?

A good scratch guard can cost 100 rupees upwards. Sony showrooms gen keep stock screenguards which they give complementary. You might just go and ask for one saying u got a psp as a gift purchased from this showroom and no screenguard. My friend got lucky.

How much should i spend on scratch guard?

Either sony's own scratch guard or there is this japanese one by the name of HORI. Will cost you 150 or less.

If you are adept at applying em, one is fine.. else get 2 for yourself.

Logitech has a very sturdy case for psp as well. You might wanna look at that.

How come he modded my PSP when everyone here are saying only PSP 2000 can be modded and not 3004 ?

PSP 3004 were notorious for being non hackable. When the hack came out, it was only applicable on limited models of 3004 which were vulnerable due to hackable motherboards. Moreover it was a tethered hack. Nowadays every firmware is hackable as i mentioned earlier.. BUT not all games work on these new psp even after hacking. But do get this fact confirmed. I left the scene long back and this was the info doing the rounds.

prabs said:
PSP 3004 can be soft modded. You could have saved yourself Rs.500/-. Post your firmware version.

A good scratchguard can cost you upto Rs.200/-. I think the cost was less than that when I got it a year back from Alfa.

OT: Do you know you will get a discount to buy PSP games for your Vita if you can prove you have an UMD for that game. Hmmm... Purchase a game you already own for your PSP so that you can play it on your Vita, I guess the pirates win then.
system sw 6.60 pro b9 any comments reg the firmware?

Pro B9?

I am having a PSP 3004 on 6.60 LCFW ME1.6

I have Burnout Legents Original UMD and its just great..

Regarding games, Try God Of War Series man..

Thats one of the main reasons why everyone buy a PS..

I recommend you to play Chains of Olympus First.. If you like fighting games, Try DBZ Shin Budokai

Any more queries? PM Me

teja92 said:
Pro B9?
I am having a PSP 3004 on 6.60 LCFW ME1.6
I have Burnout Legents Original UMD and its just great..
Regarding games, Try God Of War Series man..
Thats one of the main reasons why everyone buy a PS..
I recommend you to play Chains of Olympus First.. If you like fighting games, Try DBZ Shin Budokai
Any more queries? PM Me
not sure what is that btw how to check the firmware. Iposted software version i guess. One more query whats difference btwn burnout org and the one i got for rs 50?

There is no difference between the Burnout that you got for Rs.50 and the original that retails for around Rs.600/- except that it will load faster from the memory card.

God of war games for the PSP were released for the PS3 - God of War Collection 2.

Anyways a few games I would recommend for your PSP are as follows:

Racing Games:
- Ridge Racer 2
- Gran Turismo
- Motorstorm Artic Edge
- Sega Rally
- Test Drive Unlimited
- Burnout Legends (I guess you already have it)
- NFS Underground Rivals
- Wipeout Pulse
- Midnight Club LA Remix

Fighting Games:
- Tekken Dark Resurrection
- Dragon Ball Z - Tenkaichi Tag Team
- Dragon Ball - Shin Budokai
- Dragon Ball - Shin Budokai - Another Road
- Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max (Has a bug. Will mention it later)
- Mortal Kombat Unchained (First MK title I played that was released after MK4. Not so good)

Mission Based:
- GTA Liberty City Stories
- GTA Vice City Stories
- GTA Chinatown Wars
- God of Wars Chain of Olympus
- Metal Slug Anthology (A true SNK gem)
- Patapon
- The Simpsons (Only 3d platformer I have. With one analog stick it is seriously frustrating)
- Ace Combat X Skies of Deception
- Pursuit Force Extreme Justice

Sports:
Everybody's Tennis (A.K.A - Hotshot Tennis)
Hot Shots Golf Open Tee 2 (A.K.A - Everybody's Golf 2)

I would not recommend playing 3d platformers or shooters because the lack of second analog stick makes it a bit tedious. GTA VC and LC stories has the same problem but it has auto lock.

prabs said:
On menu : Settings > System Settings > System Information

It says its sw 6.60 pro b9. Is it because its soft modded? In that case how would i know the original firmware?

Going to get some accessories for this beast like scratch guard /Case /AV cable.

Any thought on getting a specific brand of scratch guard (Max budget 300 rs).

Any specific case model(Max budget 200-400 )

little confused about AV cables my nokia 5800 av cables were not detected by the device so i will have to get new one.

Please share your thoughts on buying component av cables over simple av cables.

What will be cost of both?

Is it worth buying componet av cable for the sake of getting your game displayed on TV.

For Videos and photos its must have so only AV cable should do here.

Any place near boriwali station to buy these accessories.

Would be great if anyone share those torrents/game sites ;) pm if possible....

did i miss something :) ....

on my way pls suggest

pinga123 said:
Would be great if anyone share those torrents/game sites ;) pm if possible....

did i miss something :) ....

on my way pls suggest

Yes, discussing CFW is stepping into a gray region but asking for links to get stuff illegally is stepping into a totally dark region which is not permitted.

On another note -

I too would like to know about display out of PSP. There are a few el-cheapo (non-official) AV cables out for the PSP but on Sony's site or videos shown on youtube always use Component cables to connect their PSP. I wanted to connect my PSP to my PC and record replays, gameplays etc.,

Since, I am using 6.60 OFW JoyLite isn't a possibility. Hence, I wanted to connect it to a USB TV Tuner and record it. But, every USB TV Tuner has AV in (Mind you I need to buy a USB TV tuner as well :p).

So, How do I go about it? Which TV Tuner and cable to buy?

@pinga123 where ever you are going do ask for a silicon cover on my behalf - I got a silicon cover a year back from Alfa which had excellent quality unfortunately I kept taking it off and putting it on periodically to clean my psp and one fine day it tore. Silicon covers are available but the quality is bad plus there is no opening for UMD door. Thanks.

Whoever you bought it from first updated your PSP to the latest offical firmware i.e., 6.60 and then installed the custom firmware on top of it.

Tell me do you shutdown your psp or just put it in Stand by because I am not sure it is a permanent hack if your psp is 3004?

Anyways the official firmware you have/had is/was (tense depending on the type of hack) is 6.60.

Back