C++ compiler

hitman080

Disciple
Hi

I am just starting out C++ (with Herbert Schildt book), so need a good compiler for XP, which is free. What's the best out there?

I do Not Use Linux ,any Alternative Other Then Borland C And Visual Studio ,I Did Use a Lot on Native Borland code in That software Basically Inline Assembly Language

If you have problems with bloodshed, you can try wxdevcpp. Its built on the same code but has lot more features. It has wxwidgets (a cross platform GUI API) added, but you can just use the compiler part without any problems.

Link: wxDev-C++

Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition is the most friendly and feature rich IDE+compiler around. Visual C++ 2008 is more strict than or equal to g++ while compiling. and yeah, its free. I think its best for noobs. if you hate m$ then install any linux and use vi for editing and g++ for compilation.

+1 Bloodshed Dev C++. Works like a charm. Although if you're not using C++ for Windows API programming or any other specific Windows feature, try using linux instead. You'll find a zillion editors with decent features (and a killer IDE: Anjuta).

However, Schildt's books are often criticized as not teaching C++ the right way. One such reference I found was here [alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++] - FAQ list . Check out points number 13 and 16.

Why do many experts not think very highly of Herbert Schildt's
books?

A good answer to this question could fill a book by itself. While
no book is perfect, Schildt's books, in the opinion of many
gurus, seem to positively aim to mislead learners and encourage
bad habits. Schildt's beautifully clear writing style only makes
things worse by causing many "satisfied" learners to recommend his
books to other learners.

Anywho, YMMV.

If you are not fan of IDE then get DJGPP it uses GCC compiler same compiler which is used in linux. And get SciTE text editor works like charm.

Back