c programming text recommendation!

can u guys recommend me a text book for c language??

i m currently using " let us c"

the book is quite good and simple but lacks example programs!!!

which other authors book should i get ????

If you are just planning to clear ENGG exams with good marks then that book is very good . There's also one "Programming in C" by balaguruswamy . If you seriously want to dip in C then go for some foreign authors .. O'reilly publication has some really nice books .

If you are willing to dig deep and work hard then i would recommend my favourite.. The C Programming Language by Ritchie and Kernighan.

straight from the horse's mouth.. :)

rapt0r said:
If you are just planning to clear ENGG exams with good marks then that book is very good . There's also one "Programming in C" by balaguruswamy . If you seriously want to dip in C then go for some foreign authors .. O'reilly publication has some really nice books .

E Balagurusamy

does the book by balagurusamy xplain every concept of programming with good xamples????

and does opting a foreign author book help???

tirthankar said:
If you are willing to dig deep and work hard then i would recommend my favourite.. The C Programming Language by Ritchie and Kernighan.

straight from the horse's mouth.. :)

+1 to that.is a little hard on beginners .But this is one book every c programmer must read .

If you are just stepped in C Programming, I would recommend you to prefer Let us C and E Balagurusamy...

Foreign author books are for intermediate programmers...

dude yashwant kanetkar's LET Us C is the Best .Ask neares Book store for LET Us C solution ,where all the exercise Question are Solved .Trust me that with Let us C only u can be little master of C .

However incase you are planning for C++ ,then balaguruswami should b your choice

Somehow i have never ever liked Let Us C. Its a terrible book for newbies :lol: (Thats my opinion anyway :lol:) Kanetkar has written some 7 different books when they should all be one (Pointers in C, Graphics in C, C Demystified,,,, and many others)

Personally i would recommend this one if you are doing it just for your engineering exam. The Waite Group's C Programming Using Turbo C++ by Robert Lafore (Used, New, Out-of-Print) - Alibris (The Waite Group's C Programming Using Turbo C++ - By Robert Lafore) The best as far as newbies to the language go.

K&R .those who are very weak with Math ,try C for dummies 2nd edition.

always learn with the standards(ANSI/ISO) using gcc/g++ and some good ides like Anjuta and not with those turbo c /visual c++ etc :) My 2 rupees(not cents).

Robert Lafore's Object Oriented Programming with C is a very good for beginners, it gets you up to a good level and has some real world examples in it.

Rubbish like Balaguruswamy just makes me want to burn it, the amount of errors in the programs is ridiculous. Let Us C by Kanetkar was pretty good, but not a good "read" as such.

Robert Lafore is the way to go, otherwise get the Schaum's Outlines of Programming with C.

If you're just beginning and if you want to be an advanced programmer, Ivor Horton's "Beginning C, from Novice to Professional" is the way to go.

after reading many posts !!

i have seen that many recommending "introduction to algorithm" by cormen

and also read that for hardcore theres "art of programming" by knuth !!!

i took both of these books from the library just to read it.....

the first volume of the 5 volumes by knuth !!

cormens book was handling only algorithms and the efficiency of each algorithm in real time.

the donald knuth's book also started with algorithms and its efficiencies..

but this book was more illustrative and understandable than cormen's!!!

althou i couldnt understand ny math figures apart from induction :p .

nyways just askin the question is algorithm and study of its efficiencies and runtime via mathematical figures that important???

or can i just jump to programming part???

Once you get into real world , you will find yourself applying these algorithms to solve complex business problem.

Big-oh notation is important,so are Algorithm design methods like dynamic programming,greedy method,back tracking etc.

hey i have used the following book istin them here.........................
GOTTFRIED
advantages-easy book,good for beginners,quite helpful in basics
disadvantages-doesn't have tough problems,works in TURBO C compiler rather than GCC!!!

LET US C-kanitkar
it is too basic!!,not even one single question OF INTEREST
if u have done c++ BEFORE,DON'T BUY THIS!!!

DENNIS & RITCHIE
:awesome: book
great level questions!!!

Why in the world do people buy Kanitkar's books? :S :mad:

Beginner:

1. C Primer Plus - Stephen Prata

2. A Book on C - Al Kelley, Ira Pohl

3. C Programming: A Modern Approach - K.N. King

4. Programming in C - Stephen Kochan

Intermediate:

1. The C Programming Language - K&R

2. The Standard C Library - P.J. Plauger

3. Expert C Programming - Peter van der Linden

4. C Traps & Pitfalls - Andrew Koenig

5. C: A Reference Manual - Harbison & Steele

6. The C Puzzle Book - Alan Feuer

7. C Programming FAQs - Steve Summit

8. Pointers on C - Kenneth Reek

Advanced:

1. C Interfaces and Implementations - Hanson

2. C Unleashed - Richard Heathfield et al

I can personally vouch for the quality and contents of the books aforementioned, except for King's and Hanson's. And the remaining two are highly recommended by the experts.

Apart from these books, you'll have to through numerous others that use C for algorithms (eg. Sedgewick), data structures, network and systems programming.

Back