c programming text recommendation!

check out a book Beginning C: From Novice to Professional, 4th Edition
By Ivor Horton.Its a good book but before that go thro kanetkar's book.

johnie1 said:
check out a book Beginning C: From Novice to Professional, 4th Edition
By Ivor Horton.Its a good book but before that go thro kanetkar's book.
Show me a C program or two that you have written so far - on your own.

which book is good for data structure studies!!!

i m thinkin of buyin "data structures through c" kanetkar!!

and +1 for yamaraj for his recommendations!

iml3g3nd said:
after reading many posts !!
i have seen that many recommending "introduction to algorithm" by cormen

and also read that for hardcore theres "art of programming" by knuth !!!
i took both of these books from the library just to read it.....
the first volume of the 5 volumes by knuth !!
cormens book was handling only algorithms and the efficiency of each algorithm in real time.

the donald knuth's book also started with algorithms and its efficiencies..
but this book was more illustrative and understandable than cormen's!!!

althou i couldnt understand ny math figures apart from induction :p .

nyways just askin the question is algorithm and study of its efficiencies and runtime via mathematical figures that important???

or can i just jump to programming part???

First do your programming syntax. Although there is nothing wrong with algorithms, but only hardcore mathematicians do algorithms first without implementing on a programming language.

Indian institutions focus more on language syntax than necessary. What's more important is the underlying programming paradigm and a thorough understanding of man-machine interface. It's like emphasizing more on grammar, but not at all on linguistic skills. And because of this, while many students are quite good with a language or two, they have trouble developing "the art of programming" despite a sound knowledge of grammar.

Introduction to Algorithms and TAOCP are not meant for beginners at all. If you're up for something not as terse and dry, go for Sedgewick's Algorithms in C. For data structure, you should get Tanenbaum's Data Structures Using C and Weiss' Data Structures and Algorithm Analysis in C. Alfred Aho's books on the same are very good references as well.

iml3g3nd said:
can u guys recommend me a text book for c language??
i m currently using " let us c"
the book is quite good and simple but lacks example programs!!!
which other authors book should i get ????

go for balguruswamy if u r at d begineers level.:clap:

The C programming Language is the best book ever written but might overwhelm a newb. Why not use tutorials on the net to get a quick idea and then move to the advanced books. Don't use the books tailored for the syllabus of Indian universities. Many of them are just copy-pasted and won't make much sense and are full of errors. Also most of them implement TurboC in their examples.

Back